V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2009 Road King Classic that periodically goes into limp mode. At 1st it was very sporadic, only happening like 3-4 times in a many months. But the other day it happened 6-8 times before I could get it home about 10 miles away. It generally resets after a minute or two. I checked the codes and only got a speedo code. Someone mentioned it could be the throttle position sensor. Anyone have any experience with this issue and could shine some light on it for me?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Might need more information so that this doesn't (if it isn't applicable) go into the bad gas, spark plugs, and/or dirty air filter discussion.
:)

Does it happen mostly when entering specific gear / speed / rpm?
Do you understand what the role of the throttle position sensor is and how it interacts with the ECM? Did you look at the connector for the TPS to ensure it's seated all the way? Did you try to clean the TPS connector?

What have you looked at already? Any work done recently? Handlebars?

Is the bike stock?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might need more information so that this doesn't (if it isn't applicable) go into the bad gas, spark plugs, and/or dirty air filter discussion.
:)

Does it happen mostly when entering specific gear / speed / rpm?
Do you understand what the role of the throttle position sensor is and how it interacts with the ECM? Did you look at the connector for the TPS to ensure it's seated all the way? Did you try to clean the TPS connector?

What have you looked at already? Any work done recently? Handlebars?

Is the bike stock?
1) it has no rhyme or reason to when it happens.
2) no
3) no
4) no
5) haven't really looked at anything yet. Trying to get ideas of where to start. I hoped I would get a code that would lead me in the right direction, but didn't.
6) handle bars were done a year and a half ago.
7) no. I've had some work done to it. 16" ape hangers, bags removed, exhaust, rims, tuner, seat, and grips.

Hopefully this helps. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there any reason you wouldn't consider removing the TPS connector, cleaning it, and reseating it?

Is there any reason you wouldn't check the wiring for the handlebars for a loose connector or frayed wire?

Youtube has plenty of videos on "Limp mode" as well as the Throttle position sensor.

Otherwise, without any obvious codes, maybe a trip to the dealer is in order? It's all up to you.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,715 Posts
Why do you think it is going into "limp mode"? What does that mean?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts