V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced Main Gear Bearing and Sixth Gear seals/bearings. Didn't change anything on the transmission cassette. Reinstalled transmission, shifter pawl, shifted through gears, checked neutral - all seemed good. Reassembled primer, pipes, etc. Start bike in neutral and bike starts and acts like it is in gear, pull in clutch and bike starts in first and neutral. If I let out clutch bike is still in gear. Can't get bike in neutral. What did I miss or what can I test to resolve.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Like Thermo suggested, if the gearbox has been assembled and installed correctly the proper clutch adjustment is of utmost importance. The change to another transmission and primary lube might help as well.

Armin.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem Solved

Removed transmission again, disassembled and reassembled, problem solved. Don't know what was not correct. All fixed.

·
Premium Member
438 Posts
Very good!!!

·
Registered
450 Posts
Removed transmission again, disassembled and reassembled, problem solved. Don't know what was not correct. All fixed.
I had the same thing happen in a 73 Z28 I had in the mid 70's when I was a kid... Seemed like something didn't line up right when I tightened up the case bolts ( a 4 speed I had put new bearings and a reverse gear in) and I put a bind on it...
Like you, worked great the second time....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
About this Discussion
5 Replies
4 Participants
duuude
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing