V-Twin Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
08 was the first year that the cushion drive (IDS, Issolated Drive System) was standard on the touring bikes, it was available as an option in 07. With the new frame in 09 came a revised design cush drive so the components of each are not compatible with the other. It is a simple, and as far as I know, a trouble free feature. Some people replace the rubber cushions with each rear tire change, some alternate, every other tire change. Harley issued a wear tolerance and I see no reason to replace the cushions that are within that tolerance. I have found it to be both harmless and reliable. I replaced the factory cushions when I installed the larger rear pulley and have been running those cushions ever since. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Never had a Harley without it, so I have no idea how much difference (if any) it makes. All I know for certain is that above idle, the machine is very smooth through 90 mph, the fastest I have taken this machine. The only time the mirrors shake too much to use is due to rough road surface, not machine generated vibration.

·
Registered
232 Posts
So this thread got me thinkin' a bit. When I research model year differences like this I use the microfiche. According to the Ronnie's Fiche, 07, 08, 09, and 10 had unique frames each year as indicated by the last two digits in their part numbers. The 10 model year actually has an 11 year frame. Everything before 07 had an 02 model year frame, and the 12 model year had the 11 year frame.

As far as the drawings are concerned there's a clear difference between the 08 and earlier frames compared to the 09 and later frames, which we all knew, but perhaps there are some more subtle differences in 07 and 08 that don't clearly show up on the drawing.

I know there a Big Yahoo in Harley Ads about Frame Changes for 2009 and although this was a consideration, the 2 main reasons for me to Trade in my 2008 Electra Glide Standard was Wife had quit riding her own and wanted me to get an Ultra Classic and The Word was out that 2010's would come with CAT's as Standard Equipment so while I do think got a Fair Deal all things considered, still lost my ass on Upgrades I did to my 2008, but I'm sure that's happened to a lot of us ..

21 - 23 of 23 Posts