V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
15,720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to recall there was some bad juju about 2007/2008 bikes. I know the frame was updated in 09, but I'm referring to the machanicals.

A search came up empty, probably because I didn't word it correctly.

Can any of you guys refresh my memory?

Sent from here to there.

·
Super Moderator
2,625 Posts
The final drive gearing sucked on those bikes. 6th gear was pretty much useless until about 70 miles an hour .It was like 2.7 :1 Final drive ratio. If I remember correctly was the 1st year of the 6 gallon tank on the old style frame.The compensator makes a loud Bang when you start the bike. It does I have the hydraulic Cam chain tensioners and larger oil pump.

·
Registered
942 Posts
Early 08 had defective fuel filter that would burst and leave you stranded. There was a recall. Also the 08 was the first year fbw throttle that had a delay between turning the throttle and engine response, very slight but annoying . Also, the 08 I rode was very underpowered.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I think '08 was a one year only frame design that sucked worse than the 07 and down correct? 09 and up is the current frame which handles much better..... for a bagger

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
IIRC the locator pins from the trans to the inner primary were eliminated for those years...
'07 was first year for 96" engine and hydraulic cam chain tensioners...

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
151 Posts
Only thing I remember was the compensator thing and the standard cam chain tighteners

No on the cam chain tighteners. The went hydraulic in 2007. So that’s a non issue. I do agree that 6th gear isn’t useful until 70mph, however. I have an 07 RK.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
232 Posts
Only complaints I had for my 2008 Electra Glide Standard which had a 14 months and 30,000 Miles was the 5th Gear Whine and 6th Gear not really effective unless 70MPH+ .. The Compensator was bang on Hot Starts when I traded it in on my 09 Ultra but as far at Running and Handling had no problems with it including the dreaded death wobble I did hear from some that owned a 2008 ..

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
death wobble isn't year specific. As long as Harley designs a bike with an isolator between the swingarm and the frame death wobble has a greater chance of happening. It's just noticed more on the older bikes because that's before the frame redesign of 2009.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
death wobble isn't year specific. As long as Harley designs a bike with an isolator between the swingarm and the frame death wobble has a greater chance of happening. It's just noticed more on the older bikes because that's before the frame redesign of 2009.
not year specific no but some years are much more wobblier (sh*t is that even a word lol) than others.

·
Registered
42 Posts
'07 didn't have fly by wire. '08 did and had issues with miss matched voltages leaving you stranded. My understanding is that they were trying to mimic the action of a compression release,...electronically. Which leads me to the compression issue and starter problems. If you ask me,...let sleeping dogs lie.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
2007 RG put 75,000 most uneventful miles on it. Minor things like a sensor went out.
No issue with compensator, no issue with and cam chain tensioners . The first year for 6 speed it worked just fine.
Don't put a lot of stock in the internet rumor mill.
The 08 was like a cross over it had a few of the thing planned for the 2009 new frame bike like TWB and the way the seat mounted. Not a darn thing wrong with one in good shape. But if you can afford it go with the new frame. More to it than just a frame.
TC96 was border line needing ACR they became standard on the 103.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So this thread got me thinkin' a bit. When I research model year differences like this I use the microfiche. According to the Ronnie's Fiche, 07, 08, 09, and 10 had unique frames each year as indicated by the last two digits in their part numbers. The 10 model year actually has an 11 year frame. Everything before 07 had an 02 model year frame, and the 12 model year had the 11 year frame.

As far as the drawings are concerned there's a clear difference between the 08 and earlier frames compared to the 09 and later frames, which we all knew, but perhaps there are some more subtle differences in 07 and 08 that don't clearly show up on the drawing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Early 08 had defective fuel filter that would burst and leave you stranded. There was a recall. Also the 08 was the first year fbw throttle that had a delay between turning the throttle and engine response, very slight but annoying . Also, the 08 I rode was very underpowered.
it was worse than slight. i had one and it was very noticeable. replaced the ecu w a thundermax and it was normal. also it ate twist grip sensors, replaced 2 min mine and a few on customer bikes. read somewhere that there were issues w the tps on 08-10 causing twist grip issues. but i only had 1 customer bike have it happen so i cant say it was wide spread

·
Registered
545 Posts
08 Road King, 93,000+ miles. This brings back some memories. Original comp had the bang, gearing too high, just replaced the twist grip sensor. Now on second SE comp, the latest and greatest version, installed the 68 tooth Japanese Sportster rear pully and improved rideability and gas mileage. I had no throttle delay except for the programming that doesn't allow wide open throttle regardless of twist grip position below 3000 rpm (probably to protect the bottom end). The cush drive is an "orphan" design and requires a pulley bearing with a tall collar Engine and transmission are still solid, 5th gear whines a bit but I got one of the quieter ones. Put on the Progressive Touring link and it steadied the machine in the sweeping turns.

The original comp destroyed the starter clutch, have had the AllBalls version in since 15,000 and it is still good as new. The type 1 (original design) SE comp installed at 15,000 miles made it for about 73,000 miles and it got noisy, wore out the crank shaft extension piece splines, not the cam and spokes. Replaced the inner primary bearing with the most recent compensator installation. Plan on taking past it 100,000 miles if I hold out that long-74 years old now. The starter would get a little "tired" on hot starts so I put the overhaul kit in the starter solenoid, seems to have helped. It is my first Harley and I still love it, have been riding since I was 14, just couldn't swing a Harley until 2008. Took some getting used to after so many rice poppers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts