V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

have a 2008 Nightster and will not start. It ran out of fuel and battery went dead. Replaced the battery with new. Added fresh fuel 91 octane. Checked the fuses, relays, and connections. Cranks but does not ignite. Fuel will flow from exhaust from flooding. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you might want to pull a plug to see if you're getting spark. You said it cranks but doesn't start, but does it stumble at all (like it starts for second then dies)? You've got fuel, so it's either spark or air. Maybe a pinched vacuum line (maybe occurring during battery install or collapsed when the original tank ran dry)?

I would pull the plugs, brush them with a wire brush, check the gap, check the spark and re-install. Then inspect all of the vacuum lines.

If you ran out of gas (gasoline actually cools the intake temps), you may have created an ultra-lean condition (super-hot) that simply melted the electrode tip off of your plug(s) due to the heat or caused the ground to short the plug (or both).

·
Registered
165 Posts
Gas running out the pipes could very well mean that the plugs are bad or "wet fouled".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you, I will check the spark and vacuum lines. I did pull a code this morning - P1001 (system relay coil open/Low EFI) I will check the spark plugs, vacuum lines and then look into the code.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looked at the vacuum lines and all look good. I pulled the spark plugs and both fouled with gas. No spark at the plugs. Swaped the relays and the same - fuel pump primes and ignition turns over and no spark. When it turns over there is no ignition (not even brief) I am thinking coil or just buy two new relays first and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I measured 11.95 Ohms for the coil and was measuring between 7v's to 13v's going through the coil when turning over. Not sure. there is fuel getting to the heads and the spark plugs where fouled with gas. They are dirty and one electrode tip a bit more worn down then the other. The battery is near done for from all the cranking today. Will have to put on tender. Still not sure - maybe relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good job bro. You got it narrowed down to lack of spark. Truthfully, I'm not all that versed in coils but I know they can fail. Just kind of suspect as it coincided with the fuel running dry. (unless it's a engine safety feature [killing a coil] to keep it from leaning out)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts