V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kind of at a loss as to how to describe my issue, but here goes.

I enter a corner at about 20 over what's posted and just as I reach the apex the front wheel tries to tuck then comes back then repeats until I exit the turn, in a pretty rapid frequency. It doesn't do it all the time, and it feels like the suspension isn't consistent, and is more noticeable in corners with rough pavement. I have been riding an FZ-1 since August 2007 and can pretty much double the corner posted speed, as in 70 in a 35, on it and it's like it's on rails. Could I possibly have a bad tire or is it the suspension or just typical of a cruiser?

jim

·
Registered
32 Posts
Did it just start doing this or has it done it since you've owned it? What have you checked? is tire pressure adequate? Are the tires worn or abnormally worn? It's obviously not going to compare to an fz1 but the main differences are going to be steering quickness and parts that drag when leaned over too far. On my buell I can easily double the speed limit in corners but on my 97 fxdl parts start to drag about 10 mph before double, but I don't feel anything weird before that.

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
Tires, alignment, loose or worn steering head bearings - a number of things to check. If it just began and you've changed nothing on the bike I'd guess worn tires or steering stem head.

Had a similar symptom on mine and that's what it was.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It only has 5k miles on the clock. I doubt steering parts but I'll check that over. TP is up but I may need to adjust it one way or the other to see what works. It might just be road surfaces. I notice it more on the roads that use a form of chip seal rather than paving and this causes inconsistent surfaces with high and low channels. I'll play with TP first.

jim

·
Registered
316 Posts
IF you are going to ride like that then you are going to fix the suspension. The Stock fork springs are poor at best. The rear shocks are no better. My FXDLI felt like i was ridding jello and braking for corners had so much dive I thought I was going over the bars! You can get a good set of fork springs and good shocks from progressive suspension or you can go high dollar and get top drawer stuff. The brakes suck as well so you can look into a set of brembo off of the touring models or go aftermarket. Once you can steer and stop the rest is easy. Good tires will help too, stock tires are ok but not the grade you are looking for for aggressive cornering or hard riding.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My very first thing I would do is change the fork oil and add 1 oz more oil than you take out.
Don't mess with the wieght yet just replace it with whats suggested and add the extra once.
You have to slow that front end down some and this is what I did and it worked well.
I then went with progressive springs after and it's not a steller change but also helps slow it down and gets rid of high speed head shake.
Just simple changes will dial it inn.

·
Registered
243 Posts
IF you are going to ride like that then you are going to fix the suspension. The Stock fork springs are poor at best. The rear shocks are no better. My FXDLI felt like i was ridding jello and braking for corners had so much dive I thought I was going over the bars! You can get a good set of fork springs and good shocks from progressive suspension or you can go high dollar and get top drawer stuff. The brakes suck as well so you can look into a set of brembo off of the touring models or go aftermarket. Once you can steer and stop the rest is easy. Good tires will help too, stock tires are ok but not the grade you are looking for for aggressive cornering or hard riding.
I looked at the Progressive Suspension site for what would fit my ride. I'd like something better than the stock, but I'd have to ask what would be the upgrade among their products. Confusing menu.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I found my front end tucking too much in the corners and giving me much the sensation you are describing.I changed out to a heavier wieght fork oil and re-torqued the steering head bearing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wobble in corners

Hey Jim.
I had the same exact issue on my 2009 FXDC. I tried all the typical things folks have mentioned......then I adjusted the FRONT FORK FALLOUT......went a bit tighter than spec......I have absolutely NO front end wobble now.....

Again, I had tried all the suggested fixes including different tires, new front Progressive Front Springs, Spokes checked and tire balance rechecked.

By the way, I also installed the Sputhe Stabilizer System front and rear. Money well spent!!!

GARY

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 08 fat bob does the same thing. Initally it was quite unnerving to me, especially having owned an beemer ST with perfect cornering manners. Everything that has been mentioned checked out ok. Am mulling over buying a Tru-Track stabilizing system, but don't like the cost ($400) May just put up with it and use the krautbike for the twisties. What a let-down for Harley's supposed best handling bike!

·
Registered
665 Posts
I was in the same boat when I got my '00 FXD used. Just kept throwing $$$ at it till I fixed the problem with
new motor mounts
True Track
Works Performance cartridge spring/damper
RK air shocks
the problem is 99% fixed. I'm not happy with RK shocks and will replace them soon with either Hagon or Ikon (replica of old Koni)

while this bike will never handle like FXR, it will be close.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts