V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys your opinons please would be greatly appreciated in my decision. I am not a LEO but I now have an opportunity to get an 08 FLHTP black with ABD for about $16,900.00. Im going to trade in my 05 Road King only getting $11,500 for it 9200 miles but I figure with the way the market is and I can sell some of the xtras on E bay and get maybe another $700-$1000 in my pocket. The reason for the FLHTP is that I always had Electra Glides and the Road King although a great bike isn't to my liking and I want another Dresser. Instead of getting a stripped FLHT and the fact that the motor is that aluminum color that would cost me about $17,500 with ABS. The FLHTP has the same things no radio, ABS, and its also black, black and chrome motor, and the fact that its cheaper it already has the 103 in Motor and an oil cooler. My question is it a good deal or am I crazy!!! Can I put the HD Harmon Kardon radio in and cruise later on?? How about the HD factory Alarm?? Thanks help me out chime in Thanks Bill, Ride Safe

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
You can put anything on the police model EG that you can put on a civilian EG, if you spend the time and $$$. If it's a stereo (HK or aftermarket), you will need to change the handlebar switches and, unless the '08's are different from earlier models) replicate the Base Audio Connector harness that plugs into the back of the HK to provide handlebar controls of the headunit. I've done this on my '04 TPI and my buddy's '06. Not hard, just tedious.

I also added cruise control to my '04 TPI and it was not plug and play as the civilian EG would have been. Again, this is primarily due to the different handlebar switches and the corresponding differences in the interconnect harness.

If you intend to keep the new bike for at least a few years, then it is probably worth buying the bike and putting the stuff on it that you want. If you think you will trade or sell the bike in a year or two, then it's probably not worth the $$$ or time since the bike will still be a TPI, not a Classic, regardless of the equipment you add, with the lower $$$ value despite equivalent/better engine, etc.

The hockey puck saddlebag mechanism can be changed to chrome or black flush mounts which help a lot cosmetically IMHO for $50 or less.

Instead of an HK radio, you can install an auto unit without the handlebar controls for ~$200. If you want handlebar controls, you will need the handlebar switches and a Biketronics or Hawg-wired interface unit to use with the new switches. The interface unit will cost $149 from Biketronics or $199 from Hawg-wired. With these you can choose from the Sony headunits (or one of the other auto stereo headunits) that is a better stereo than the HD and add rear speakers later without the extraordinary expense of the HD/HK alternative.

There is a good market for the police air seat so if you want to change that out you can get a good price for the system on Ebay.

It' just a lot of work that you may decide you don't want to fool with if your objective is to replicate a Classic/Steet Glide.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Don't be to fast to get rid of the seat, you might want to go back to it. Many have found that they really like it. I found that it was to high, but I am thinking of going back to it and moving the seat and T bar back some by modifying the brackets.

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2008 Flhtp

Harleypingman thanks for your input. See I wanted to get back on an ElectraGlide and right now money wise in order not to go into hock, the FLHT Std Dresser looked good I had one before the only thing I dont like is the motor not being black and chrome. In the past this was HD's best bargin but they found that out too and raised the prices. So when I saw the Police Bike for $17K I said hey it has the black and chrome motor the bike is all black bags and all and for that price it has ABS, 103 in Motor and oil cooler the FLHT with the ABS is almost $1K more and again the motor and chrome, so my dilema buy the FLHTP and put in a radio maybe costing more in the end than the FLHT and more problems handlebar controls, cruise, alarm wiring hurdles. Or like I said get the FLHT with the ABS for the extra mony with the pre wired controls and suck up to the fact the motor isn't black and add chrome what to do Im going to look at the FLHTP today after work. If money was no object I'd get the FLHTCI Electra Glide Classic with ABS, alarm, Cruise and call it a long day at $20K thanks again for all of your opinon, you too route66 paul, Bill

1 - 4 of 4 Posts