V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many of you bought a new 2008 dresser WITHOUT ABS, why and are yiou happy with that decision Im on the fence about buying one without, thanks Bill

·
Registered
3,981 Posts
When I went on a demanding one hour test ride on an 08 RG without ABS, I was so impressed with the new brembo brakes I just didn't feel the need for another item that ties me to the dealer for service. The ABS requires use of the HD Digital Assistant to change/service/bleed brakes....

The Brembo's do flat out STOP!

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
There is a road test of the new ABS, by Buzz Buzzelli, in the most recent American Rider. He used a bike that had a switch on it where he could test it with it disabled as well as enabled. He was pretty impressed with it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Im with Adlerx--dont like the idea the dealer must bleed the brakes....

Also--as a fairly experienced rider, I feel I have decent control in most situations. In a "holy crap" situation where I need to be in control, Im just not convinced I need a computer kickin in on me. I will know the limits of the brakes tires etc when making life latering split second decisions. I will have ZERO experience what to expect if the ABS kicks in

I took delivery of my 08 Ultra on Tuesday night--NO ABS. Also--I hate the look of those barke lines running along the frame....:)

PEZ

·
Registered
5,460 Posts
Pezsez said:

Also--as a fairly experienced rider, I feel I have decent control in most situations. In a "holy crap" situation where I need to be in control, Im just not convinced I need a computer kickin in on me. I will know the limits of the brakes tires etc when making life latering split second decisions. I will have ZERO experience what to expect if the ABS kicks in

I took delivery of my 08 Ultra on Tuesday night--NO ABS. Also--I hate the look of those barke lines running along the frame....:)

PEZ
Read Buzz' article in the above referenced magazine. You're not nearly as in control as you think you are.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Pezsez said:

PEZ
Buzz thought the same thing before he tested the ABS. As a motorcycle racer, he thought he would be able to outperform the ABS. And, on dry pavement, if he could concentrate and make NO mistakes, he could probably out perform the ABS. But, his experience was that he couldn't concentrate well enough on braking, even on a bike configured with outriggers, to be able to make maximum effort stops without making mistakes. And those mistakes resulted in longer stopping distances and/or "crashes" (the bike leaning on its outriggers). He said the usual mistake was applying a bit too much braking pressure and locking up a wheel. Then releasing it to get it rolling again, then trying to brake again. In his opinion, Harley's ABS could likely save his life in a forced maximum effort stop situation and for $800 plus the cost of brake bleeding, it's worth it. With the ABS turned on, all he had to concentrate on was controlling the direction of the bike while applying maximum effort to the brakes. Much easier to do...especially when it is a cage that pulled in front of you that you are hoping to miss and trying to figure out where it is going to go while you are stopping.

Read the article. It's very interesting and enlightening.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Pezsez said:
Well

I never want to be accused of having the blinders on so I will check the article out.....

PEZ
Pez...you're the best.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
I've ridden BMW's with ABS for the last 15 years. And, like others, I've many years of experience, lots of time on the racetrack, and come from a fairly aggressive road riding background. I write for one of the sportbike rags.

ABS has saved my ass three times. Twice when deer ran out in front of me; once when I pulled out to pass a slow-moving truck only to have him start a left-turn into me. You can tell when you've "crashed" because of the pulsing in the front brake lever, indicating that ABS has engaged. Whenever that happens, forget whatever it was that you were braking for - your locking of the front wheel has put you on the ground, if you don't have ABS.

I'm pretty good at piloting a motorcycle, I figure. But I've disabused myself of the notion that I can calculate and manage a bunch of complex variables better and faster than a computer can.

I'm in the process of buying my first Harley (an 08 RK). I could pick one up today, if I was willing to do without ABS. But I'm not. I've got a build date in December, so I can get ABS.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I chose *not* to have abs on my 08 RG, only because I have several other bikes that I regularly ride. If it was my only bike, I'd most likely have gotten abs. I just dont want to be on something that requires different thought processes in an emergency. I've made the front tire start to make noise several times, indicative of pending loss of traction. Thats when it's time for more rear brake.

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Practice Practice Practice!

My next one will have ABS.

But for now we should all make it a point to get to a big deserted parking lot and practice panic stops to remain familiar with what it feels like when our front brake is close to locking up.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Hey, I love my Ultra without ABS. I was just tickled to death to finally get Brembos on my 08 Ultra. I've had linked brakes, they are okay. I've had Brembos before and they are awesome ! Never had ABS on a scooter but everyone raves over it. I'd say, get it if you are at all in doubt.

For me, I'm fine as is, but I don't miss what I never had. I effin love my 08 ultra. Best ultra yet. The only thing they could improve on it would be to mount a coffee pot on the dash board so I didn't have to stop.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts