V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Tonight We Dine In Hell!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As someone new to HDs, could someone point out the differences between these two bikes I might want to consider for my first purchase?

I've always been more of a cruiser than a speed daemon. I like hanging back and going to a nice ride; both of these bikes are very sharp - so as a rider what would I like/dislike between the two bikes?

By way of introduction, I am the guy who wrote the software you use for your photo galleries here; new to the community and hoping to join the HD family. I also own two forums of my own: one for Dodge Vipers (4x owner) and one fitness site (bodybuilder).

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Well PJ, both are nice bikes. Fat Bob (FXDF) is the new kid in the Dyna line with the fat 16" front tire. It still has the all the H-D traditional features - rubber mounted air cooled 96" engine, etc. The V-Rod (VRSC) is the sport version H-D, which has the water cooled Revolution engine. Go to the H-D website and you can compare the two. Then go test ride them.

Thorns

·
Tonight We Dine In Hell!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Thorns. I have been all over the HD website and to the dealer to see both models. The dealer doesnt have a Fat Bob I can test ride; but offered to let me ride similiar Dyna models tomorrow. I should also have a chance to ride on the vRod.

Beind so new to the bikes in general, I read all the reviews I could find (not so many on the new one) and was looking for some personal opinions on the bikes as well.

We'll see how tomorrow afternoon goes. :)

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
I've seen the FatBob up close and other than the pipes I think it's pretty cool looking, while I've never ridden either I'm told the V-Rod is a nice handling bike...a local HD salesman told the owner of the indy shop I frequent that the FatBob rides as nice as one of the touring models...

That's all the second hand info I have :D

·
Premium Member
520 Posts
I rode a FXDF and a VRSCAW at the Open House in York two weeks ago. The V-Rod is more sports oriented than the Fat Bob, but the Fat Bob handles nice. Personally, I would take the Fat Bob, because I think there are more after market accessories for the Dynas than the V-Rod.

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by packetjunkie
I've always been more of a cruiser than a speed daemon.
I think you just answered your own question. If those are your two choices, you want the Fat Bob. It runs the time-honored, some would say antiquated, air-cooled engine (that so many of us still love) that's all about low-end torque while the V-Rod is water cooled, has overhead cams and a high-revving, short-stroke engine that's all about horsepower. It's the sport bike of the Harley line (if you don't consider Buells).

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
PJ, I have a 07 FXD (Superglide) as well as a VSCR (R model V Rod, i.e. with mid controls). Not exactly what you ar4e comparing, but pretty close.

Both are really nice. Also, quite different, imho.

FB will have much more torque, low end response, where the VROD really comes alive past 5,000 RPMs.

I dont type well, could go on for some time.

If you would like, call me, and Id be happy to talk with you

Greg

213-300-3730 (Los Angeles) I'll be in Daytona Beach area the next couple weeks, so eastern time starting monday.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think the wisest thing to do is to test ride both. Two completely different animals. Get back with a test report!

Regarding engine characteristics: The Fat Bob does have more low-end torque, but the V-Rod still has better top gear acceleration, so the V-Rod feels stronger when riding. This has to do with lower gearing on the V-Rod, thus it's revving higher at cruising speed.

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
About the only thing these two bikes have in common is they are both Harleys. Go test ride each.

·
Banned
9,436 Posts
I saw a new fatbob w/screamin' eagle pipes for the first time last nite. Looked excellent and sounded great. Sounded throaty and powerful but not overwhelmingly loud. Nice, nice bike!

Lefty

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Don’t think you should settle with testriding another Dyna than the FatBob.. Front end is different – with the fat tire and especially the double floating discs. Those brakes will outperform ANY other Dyna by far..

Other than that you can expect that the Fatbob and Vrod are totally different bikes.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
Ride a touring bike, a Dyna, and a softail before you jump. There are many things that you can do for comfort, but the different frames have different characteristics. Many have bought what they thought looked good before riding what they eventually end up with, it can be an expensive mistake.

·
Tonight We Dine In Hell!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I am back. Let's see if I can do this justice.

I drove two bikes for an hour test ride; the first one was the Heritage. Nice riding bike, I really enjoyed my demo of this, although it wasn't the bike I was looking for, too much of a cruiser.

After warming up I tried the next bike, which I can't remember what it was now (soft tail? long day of early softball for the kids and drained); I'll find out tomorrow. It was a much rougher ride, I didn't like this one as much - I cycle (the peddling kind) often and so my legs tend to squeeze inward for a strong peddle and on this bike my leg was against the air filter the whole time and I found it very uncomfortable.

I went back into the dealer to check out the only Fat Bob again (up on a rack so people couldn't get on it) - they had a black denim model in stock. The air filter looks closer in, so I don't think it will be an issue. I was able to sit on it and it seemed very comfortable.

The denim black stared to grow on me as I thought about upkeep; with 5 kids I was thinking - no fingerprints!

I left the dealer putting a deposit down on the Fat Bob, I called back later to tell them I would take the denim black and not wait for the vivid black. I'm going back tomorrow for one more sit down and hopefully a quick ride to make sure I'll be happy - if all goes well, I'll bring it home. As long as my leg isn't resting against the motor, I don't see why I wouldn't love it. :)

I will say this, riding a HD is very different from any other bike I've ridden. Lots of attitude, a great sound and just an all around fun ride.

Thanks for the warm welcome here; I'll report back tomorrow night!

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
You picked a beautiful bike, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Tonight We Dine In Hell!
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
New owner to the forum! :)

I ended up rolling out the first Fat Bob from the dealer; woo hoo!

I was a little worried with no seat time in it; but one spin around the parking lot before heading out and I was all smiles (a tech said I would be and suggested the ride around so he could see my reaction to the bike).

10 mile ride home and sitting safetly in the garage. I'll get some pictures ready shortly!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts