V-Twin Forum banner

2008 electra glide runs out of fuel at 1/2 tank.

3K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  norm9278 
#1 ·
I have an 08 electra glide. Only stage 1 mods. Problem is bike starts to run out of fuel at 1/2 tank. I can visually see fuel on the fuel pump side so I know it is not empty. So far I have replaced fuel pump, fuel filter, pressure regulator and check valve/fuel supply line. None of these have helped the problem. If I run it down to 1/2 tank and it starts to miss and sputter, I can pull into a gas station, fill it up and it runs fine again until it gets down to 1/2 tank again. Thanks in advance for any ideas on possible solutions.

#2 ·
Could be a cracked fuel line from pump to filter allowing air into the line? Have you checked fuel pressure? Those internal fuel lines are famous for cracking, pin holes...

Also, the regulator housing has been known to crack...

Sent from my coal burning bag phone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
Thank you NORM9278. The fuel line from pump to the filter was replaced when I replaced the fuel pump. Yes I have heard that the plastic regulator housing has been known to crack. However, the regulator housing is above the fuel level after about a gallon of fuel has been run out and my issue only occurs after I have run just over 3 gallons out of the tank. Assuming that a submerged leak wouldn't cause a fuel starvation issue. I am at a loss and considering replacing the plastic housing for the filter/regulator just because it is just about the only thing left in the tank that hasn't been replaced.

#4 ·
As you know, those pump / sending units are a bit+&# to get in and out of the tank. Possible that it got damaged on reassembly? No way to verify the problem without a fuel pressure test.
You have one of the fittings needed to Fab a test rig if you replaced the check valve.

#5 ·
I am not an expert by any means but if it is running at fulltank then it would have pressure. Then at half tank it wouldn't have pressure based on what my bike is doing. Also, since the regulator is above the fuel level after only a gallon has been run out then why would the bike not have problems until it ran down to half a tank. I also noticed a few minutes ago that after I had ridden it earlier today and limped home (I purposely didn't refuel so I can try and figure this thing out), after it was leaned over on it's jiffy stand, more gas had transferred to the pump side and I took it for a short(2 miles) drive. Definitely has something to do with fuel level needing to be just above pump height. The plastic housing for the pump even if it had a crack shouldn't impact the pump should it?

#7 ·
Hi Norm. If you mean the siphon line that runs from the right side of the tank to the pump side of the tank, yes it is. I blew through it when I had it apart yesterday replacing the checkvalve/ supply line. I had that thought also. I took the pump out because I wanted to recheck all the hoses connected to the pump before I put the new checkvalve in. Unless the new hose I put in that runs from the pump to the filter had a crack in it down near where it connects to the fuel pump, I am stumped. That assumes that the pressure of gas being above the crack would be enough to keep it from leaking. Ideas?

#8 ·
I'm gonna say you are gonna have to Fab up a fuel pressure test rig. All you need is the male fitting that plugs into the "check valve" that you already have, a tee and a pressure gauge. Or you can buy one already factory made. Without knowing what the pressure is and when we're just guessing.
But, you said it ran after setting it on the side stand? That tells me the crossover may be plugged up....dunno?

#10 ·
I don't already have the male connector. I replaced the check valve only because the hose that runs from the regulator to it can't be purchased separately. I can probably rig something up when I get a chance. I was just hoping that someone on this forum already had this issue before. Thanks for your help Norm. Ride Safe!

#13 ·
I had an outboard would run for awhile and then stop. Wait a little time and away we go until it crapped out again. The lining inside the fuel line had collapsed from the tank to the motor from use of ethanol gas. I could get some gas, but not enough. Cut the line open and it looked like the lining was folded. A new line from tank to tank helps peace of mind.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Almost sounds like a tank venting issue, but that shouldn't be the problem as you get a 1/2 tank used before it happens.

#17 ·
Hi Norm. Just pulled the filler neck out which has the filter/regulator assembly attached. There is a hole on top of the regulator housing (definitely factory hole) that sprays fuel out when pump is turned on. Is the hole some sort of bypass? Thanks for the loan offer, I may have to take you up on that if This current attempt at locating the problem is not successful.

#18 ·
Do you maybe have a lift on the tank? I would expect that to make a difference, due to where the fuel picks up normally, and where the fuel would mostly sit on a lifted tank.

#19 ·
@motorbikeman

The pressure regulator has to provide a constant fuel pressure of 55 psi to the fuel rail of the throttlebody and if the output of the pump exceeds these 55 psi the regulator dumps the excessive fuel back into the tank, maybe through the whole you described. You said that you blew air through the outside crossover line, did you also try to clean kneeformed tubes at the tank that accept the crossover line with a thin brush?

Armin.

#20 ·
Do you maybe have a lift on the tank? I would expect that to make a difference, due to where the fuel picks up normally, and where the fuel would mostly sit on a lifted tank.
No, there is no lift on the tank. Just a standard bike.

#23 ·
Well, today, I replaced the plastic housing unit that holds the fuel filter and pressure regulator. Still misses and sputters at half a tank. So far, Everything in the tank with the exception of the fuel sending unit and the bracket that holds the fuel pump, has been replaced I wonder if it has anything to do with the float level/ sending unit telling the ECM something it shouldn't? Guess I am grasping at straws now. haha Anyone have any ideas?????

#26 ·
PROBLEM SOLVED-LESSON LEARNED!
For those interested or who may be having the same/similar problem (i.e. running out of fuel at half tank) Here is a recap of what I did to FIX my problem.
After the bike (08 electra glide) would start to run out of fuel at half a tank for 3 or 4 times, I attempted to identify the problem. Opening the tank up, I could see that the tank was full of trash. The coating that was on the inside of the tank had come off. Removed everything from inside the tank, cleaned it out, and visually inspected all of the parts. I found that the sock filter on the bottom of the pump was deteriorated and the fuel filter in the filter housing was clogged with the coating from the tank walls. There were no obvious cracks in the filter housing or any of the fuel lines in the tank. I went on Amazon and ordered a fuel pump, fuel filter, and pressure regulator. The pump came with the fuel line that goes to the fuel filter housing. Installed everything filled it up with gas and sure enough, it ran perfect until it got to a half tank of fuel left. After reading a number of forum posting of people having fuel issues, I decided to replace the check valve line, though I could not see any cracks or abrasions of any kind in it. I got the check valve line from Drag Specialties. So, I put the new check valve line in and again it started running out of gas at half a tank. Back on the forums again looking for possible solutions. Many people said that it was the fuel filter housing and that there had been a recall on it. Indeed there had been a recall on the housing but the HD people said my bike wasn't included in it. I pulled the filter housing out of the tank far enough so that I could see it and still run the pump. When I turned the pump on, there was a steady flow of fuel out of what looked like a port on top of the housing above the regulator. Checked forums and saw 2 instance where people had said that this was not supposed to happen. Called my local Harley Service people and explained that I had fuel spraying from the port hole. They said, that it should not be doing that. OK, so I took the housing out and pulled the fuel filter out. The filter, after only a couple of weeks, had started to dissolve and had a number of cracks in it (again, stay away from the cheap Chinese crap!). So, I went to Harley, bought a new filter housing, fuel filter, and pressure regulator. I was sure that this would solve the problem since the replacement of these parts would mean that everything in the tank was new. Reinstalled everything, filled up tank, and it started running out of gas again at half a tank. OK, now everything in the tank has been replaced and I still have the problem. I called a different Harley Dealer and spoke to a Mechanic. He said that the port on the housing was indeed supposed to spray fuel out of it once the correct fuel pressure had been reached (be careful of the advice you take when trying to solve a problem like this). Knowing that everything in the tank had been replaced with name brand parts, except for the fuel pump and pump to filter line, I decided to replace it with a Harley fuel Pump assembly. Yes, the Harley pump assembly cost 170.00 whereas the Chinese pump, filter, and regulator, all together was less than 70.00. PROBLEM SOLVED! Bike runs great and I ran 200+ miles before I stopped to fill the tank. Had I gone ahead and spent the money on the Harley part, I would not have had to replace all of the other parts (with the exception of the filter which was clogged from the trash in the tank). I know that it is said over and over on these forums that you have to do a fuel pressure test. In my opinion, and readers of this can take that for what it is worth, if the bike runs great until the fuel gets to a certain level, you have a problem in the tank and a "pressure test" is not going to tell you where or what it is. Even my Chinese fuel pump had good pressure, as evidenced by the spraying from the relief port when pressure was reached. Doing a fuel pressure test will only confirm what is already known. It is a waste of time to do a fuel pressure test in the circumstances where you are running out of fuel at a certain point. You have a leak somewhere!
LESSONS LEARNED:
1-Don't try to save a buck by buying cheap Chinese crap on critical things like your fuel system.
2-Use the information that you get on forums as an aide and not as facts, including everything I have written. I and most of the people on forums are trying to solve problems.
Thanks to everyone that responded to my query/problem. It is most appreciated!
To anyone reading this with a problem such as mine, good luck, I wish you the best!

#27 ·
Motorbike man,
This is why I recommended rigging the fuel pressure gauge to be able to ride the bike with it installed, so you can observe the pressure when the problem occurs. I hate replacing good parts to test them. I'm cheap that way...
Glad you solved the problem and look me up if you ever get out this way. I know a good Brewer!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.