V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone,

HD came out with the 13/16" stroke Shovels, then the 4.25" Evo`s, then the 4.00" Block Heads and now the 4.375" 2008 96ers.

With all the hype that HD came out with about shorter stroke giving better idle, faster rev rate, safer piston speeds etc for the last 7 odd years:

What will be the new hype about the longer stroke engines for the next seven years?

Any thoughts?

All the best, Ozzie

·
Premium Member
2,566 Posts
For the last 25 years we have been producing 4-5/8" stroke engines (which is our stroke of choice) and have never seen or heard of someone wearing one out from piston speed. In fact in 89 we built a 103" shovel for KD- www.kdcustoms.com and 2 years ago he sent it back for a refresh after being in 7 different chassis and setting a record at the Palmdale drag strip. We honed the cylinders out and installed a set of +.005" pistons.
These torque monsters don't use the kind of rpm others do so not as much piston speed. You have a real hard time bogging these.

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
HEY OZ how have you been??

We have done several 103 shov's they work very well. The 4 5/8 is a common stroke for big bores. Lots of shops use the 4 5/8 works well and if put together correctly will last a long time

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nvsteve said:
You think you can just drop by every 6 months or so and stir the pot?%[email protected]
Hi Oz!

Geez nsteve, every time I see a nice thread that I would like to answer with my wealth of knowledge some bugger gets on here first and beats me to it!

I can no longer baffle you guys with my bullsh!t anymore cause someone else always beats me to it!

Na just joking.....................there really are a number of top line professionals coming on here these days that it is really tough to add anything of wealth to the posts.................dont worry I will never leave this forum I just love it too much and all you good guys on here are just great to spin with.

I was just having a gentle dig at HD with the above thread as they really did do a number on everyone world wide with their advertising about the 4.00" stroke being far superior etc etc etc etc.

Now they have gone to the opposite end for a change while they still try to find that alusive "correct stroke" formula.

Just wanted to hear from all my friends here on their thoughts for this type of build.

I guess the cam technology will revert to high end numbers again instead of torque as these longer stroke engines will produce the torque in the more usable rpm range already.

All the best, Ozzie

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HDWRENCH said:
HEY OZ how have you been??

We have done several 103 shov's they work very well. The 4 5/8 is a common stroke for big bores. Lots of shops use the 4 5/8 works well and if put together correctly will last a long time
Hi buddy............real good, just come off an 8000 mile 4wd holiday in the Australian outback and it was great.........no phones, no computers just great camp fires, great sunsets, great scenery and great beer VB of course, yes lots of great beer!

All the best Ozzie

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
KingofCubes said:
For the last 25 years we have been producing 4-5/8" stroke engines (which is our stroke of choice) and have never seen or heard of someone wearing one out from piston speed. In fact in 89 we built a 103" shovel for KD- www.kdcustoms.com and 2 years ago he sent it back for a refresh after being in 7 different chassis and setting a record at the Palmdale drag strip. We honed the cylinders out and installed a set of +.005" pistons.
These torque monsters don't use the kind of rpm others do so not as much piston speed. You have a real hard time bogging these.

Hi King of Speed, I`m 52 and been around the block a bit, definiteley know what you are saying. Just wanted to see what all you guys thought about HD`s constant changes to the engine and in particular the change in stroke with this latest engine.

All the best, Ozzie

1 - 7 of 7 Posts