V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gauge says about 10 volts

lights, horn, radio and other stuff works fine but when I try to start I don't get ANYTHING. Is this a safety feature of the Ultra because of a low battery or maybe another problem.

Bike sat for about 3 months (not on a tender) but rode to street vibrations last weekend and put about 700 miles on with no problems. It did seem to hesitate a little on startup and it did start for the ride to work.

I haven't removed the seat but the bike only had 3,000 miles when I bought it last year so it is probably the original battery.

The nothing at all when using the switch is what has me concerned. No starter or anything but thinking that may be a safety feature of the bike.

Any help is appreciated.

Mark

·
Banned
2,449 Posts
Just because the lights work doesn't mean there's enough power to turn the motor over. Charge the battery and if that doesn't help you'll need a new battery.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Whats the battery voltage, not what the gauge says, but what a digital volt meter says at the battery. Pull your battery and charge it.

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
First ECM needs 9 volts to do anything.
Clean connections. Put the tender on it to full charge.
make sure run switch is in run, make sure it is in N. try again.

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
12.7 volts is considered fully charged.

·
New Guy
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the ideas. Here's an update.

Called my local dealer, that I like very much, and they said it had to have 12.7 to start. my volt meter after taking it out said about 11. The battery looks like it might be the original and since I didn't put it in when I bought the bike last march I ordered a deka and a battery tender jr.

I'll post up when I get it installed.

thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts