V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got bored and wanted to know what specs had changed between these years since what I've heard is the 08' can rev higher now and includes other small updates.

Here is what I've discovered.

*Load Capacity increase of 3lbs from 388lbs to 391lbs

*New Fuel Delivery Version - 49mm Down Draft DDFI III

*Charging System has been changed. 8amp decrease from Max, 76w decrease @ 3000rpm, & 89w decrease from Peak.

It was changed from a 38amp Permanent Magnet Three-Phase Alternator to a 30amp Permanent Magnet Single-Phase Alternator.

Horsepower & Torque are the same.

A quote from Buell's Page
For 2008, Buell advances the performance of its air/oil/fan-cooled Thunderstorm® V-Twin engine series with a larger crank pin, an improved oiling system, and a new electronic timing system and ECM that controls an all new DDFI 3 fuel injection system.

Also new for 2008, the Thunderstorm® 1203 redline is increased to 7100 rpm from 6800 rpm, giving this engine an even broader powerband, and riders the ability to accelerate longer and downshift at a higher rpm.
Just figured I post this info for anyone who wants it. ~!Awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
Now compare the gear ratios of a XB12 to a XB9.

An upgraded XB9(to 1200cc) will outrun a stock XB12, due to the better gearing. The XB9s were cheaper too, so even when you added the (approx) $800 in parts to upgrade the engine, you still came out ahead in power and cost!

Oh, that reminds me, I'll have to post my theroetical mechanical max speed chart I created a while back...interesting data for several HD, Yamaha, and Buell bikes...(I'll have to add your FXDB to the chart....)

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
I heard recently that there may be some crank failures from previous years showin up as the mileage increases........larger crank pin for '08???

1 - 3 of 3 Posts