V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend i was riding my dad's 2007 Road Glide (has a mildly worked Chris Rivas' 103 if i'm not mistaken) and the thing had a hard re-start once and then later it popped and ALMOST started, then nothing. Unfortunately i had the security key fob in my pocket and Pop's rolled it down hill away from me to attempt bump starting it. Well, that didn't work, as i was way out of range. The bike was warm and from there it didn't even pop or even try to. Would the security disable the bike say for an hour? Cause thats how long it took to re-start it? We tried off and on for an hour, my old man left to go get a trailer, and 10 mins after that, it started right up, on the first turn. Any suggestions. Pops wants to take it back to Rivas' shop for a tune up and check, i think its the security system.
Tim

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
Was the motor turning over when you were trying to start it? If so, then it's probably not a security issue.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep it turned over (over and over)...starter worked fine. When the security kicks in it immobilizes EVERYTHING?
TIM

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
yep it turned over (over and over)...starter worked fine. When the security kicks in it immobilizes EVERYTHING?
TIM
That's the way it is on my 09 Street Glide anyway. If you don't have the security fob - you can turn the switch and the lights will come on - turns flash - but the start button doesn't work.

·
Premium Member
888 Posts
Check electrical charging system should read 14 amps charge on dial when running. test battery, they only last a few years. Stator and voltage regulator are suspect as wellhave them tested.

Fuel system check, involves checking the fuel filrter in the tank, fuel regulator test and injectors notpartialy pluged pluged.

Did you tip the bike over and set off the tip over sensor, and lastly are the plugs in tight and wires free of cuts. Did the correct plugs get installed, ones pre-gapped for 103 should have been new. Look for grounding issues and burnt fuse's.

Yes the security system completely immobilzes all electrical responses, lights, ignition, radio, and starts the emergencvy blinkers until corrected.

To me it sounds like it flooded, which is not unommon due to tip over sensor or high outdoor air temps on a full gas tank. Ride hard.

·
Registered
84 Posts
my 11 street glide used to do that all the time when i first got it. they had to replace the starter and it has been fine ever since

·
Ironbutt
7,415 Posts
my 11 street glide used to do that all the time when i first got it. they had to replace the starter and it has been fine ever since
He said the engine is turning over, so i don't think it's the starter. Most likely fuel or fire related.

·
self banned
5,992 Posts
sounds like fuel when u say pop
when Tim said "Pops rolled it downhill", I think he was referring to his dad (Pop) at that point. It was not popping...

Would have been interesting to know if it had spark when it wasn't starting...

Sometimes mine won't start and I just turn the ignition switch off and on a couple times and it fires right up.

otherwise, could be a bugger to find...

rkc

·
Registered
3 Posts
This weekend i was riding my dad's 2007 Road Glide (has a mildly worked Chris Rivas' 103 if i'm not mistaken) and the thing had a hard re-start once and then later it popped and ALMOST started, then nothing.
Tim
If it is hard starting, popping before starting or on turnover, etc. it could be the starter clutch(gear inside starter)...you can either replace the starter clutch($80 part) which is probably worn a groove in the gear where it slips on hot starting or you can do what most stealers tell you, replace the starter($350+ part).

Had the same issue with my 07 flhx...swapped the gear out myself and everything was golden. If you've got a built motor you might also want to consider a high compression starter or at least compression releases if you don't have them.

Hope this helps

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i don't think it was a starter issue, it turned over and over many cranks with NO hesitation, battery and starter seem fine. Seemed more like it was flooded, or maybe i got the plugs wet...seemed more like ignition. Bikes going to go down to Chris Rivas soon for a tune up and dyno run. And when i said it popped, i mean it fired briefly, then next time a little less then nothing. Bike was somewhat hot, not overheating tho. Thanks for the replies.
Tim

·
Registered
568 Posts
Others have reported a fail to start after cranking and have gone to the crank position sensor. My 08 Road King began something similar for hot starts so I pulled the CPS to check its condition and test the resistance. In doing so, I found that it connected to the wiring harness with a plug nestled under the front frame cross brace below the OIL FILTER. I have never yet had a completely clean oil filter change and always wash off the engine mount and dry things well but I never knew this plug was there. The area was pretty well oil soaked and needed much cleaning. When I separated the plug, some oil had worked its way inside. Using electrical contact cleaner and compressed air I got both sides of the plug clean and dry. I put a little dielectric grease on the plug and put it all back together. On today's ride, all starts, cold and hot were quick and easy, just like new. Only time will tell if this was the start problem, but so far the results are good. I am amazed that the MOCO didn't put either a shorter or longer pig tail on the CPS so that the plug connecting to the rest of the harness would NOT be directly under the oil filter. I suggest checking this plug for oil contamination before spending money on a new CPS. For those who ride in the rain, this spot looks like it would be exposed to all the water the tire spins off the road, though the little tin plate it hides behind might be to protect the plug from that.

·
Registered
716 Posts
My 07 did that a few times when new.
Kept turning over and wouldn't fire.
When I tried it a second time it would backfire.
Only did it a few times.

Barney

·
Registered
2 Posts
Won't start hot Harley

I have a 2007 Road Glide does the same thing, I ended up stranded in Butte, MT at the dealer. They couldn't figure it out, said the Thundermax ECM needed replacing. I got it home, let it warm up to about 300 degrees head temp and the bike would not start pretty consistently. A squeak in the tank started to develop at this point also. The tank was about half full, I took the cap off and using a flashlight peered into the tank and turned the switch on looking and listening for that squeak again. Noticed some vapor coming from the tank and could see a mist splashing on the fuel in the tank. Took the tank apart and discovered a tiny pin hole in the fuel line. My guess is when the bike was hot the hole would enlarge enough on the fuel line to cause problems, when you turn the key on and pressurize the system and after you shut it off and wait the pressure bleeds off and lets air into the fuel line which develops into a squeaking noise.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Turns out the crank had twisted and may have not been related at all but it's all fixed now and better than ever.
Tim

·
Registered
568 Posts
Turns out the crank had twisted and may have not been related at all but it's all fixed now and better than ever.
Tim
Would you mind clarifying that a bit? Replacement of the crank shaft is a major tear down repair, is that what was done? Or, had the crank position sensor gotten damaged most likely during an oil filter change and it was replaced? Also, not mentioned as an occasional cause for failure to start is the quick disconnect on the bottom of the gas tank. Something internal happens and it must be disconnected and re connected before it will allow fuel to exit the tank.

·
Ghetto Blaster
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, the crank was re-done. Bike was taken to Chris Rivas' shop in Fresno for a diagnosis, bike continued to have odd starting issues and running a little uneven. I don't know how they found that was the culprit (it's my Dad's bike), but the crank had twisted so that was fixed and the rest of the motor freshened up. Runs like a raped ape now. No more hard starts either.
Tim

·
Registered
5 Posts
Others have reported a fail to start after cranking and have gone to the crank position sensor. My 08 Road King began something similar for hot starts so I pulled the CPS to check its condition and test the resistance. In doing so, I found that it connected to the wiring harness with a plug nestled under the front frame cross brace below the OIL FILTER. I have never yet had a completely clean oil filter change and always wash off the engine mount and dry things well but I never knew this plug was there. The area was pretty well oil soaked and needed much cleaning. When I separated the plug, some oil had worked its way inside. Using electrical contact cleaner and compressed air I got both sides of the plug clean and dry. I put a little dielectric grease on the plug and put it all back together. On today's ride, all starts, cold and hot were quick and easy, just like new. Only time will tell if this was the start problem, but so far the results are good. I am amazed that the MOCO didn't put either a shorter or longer pig tail on the CPS so that the plug connecting to the rest of the harness would NOT be directly under the oil filter. I suggest checking this plug for oil contamination before spending money on a new CPS. For those who ride in the rain, this spot looks like it would be exposed to all the water the tire spins off the road, though the little tin plate it hides behind might be to protect the plug from that.
BTSOM :
My 07 FLHTC is doing this. Did that CPS connector turn out to be the solution over time?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts