V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good day to all!

Has anyone found a dual front disc brake kit conversion for a 2007 Dyna? I've been searching far and wide, to no avail. I am constantly frustrated with the inadequate braking power of my Street Bob's front brake. With the introduction of the 2008 Dyna Fat Bob with dual front discs, maybe the front fork sliders are compatible with the 2007s (they both use 49 mm forks).

Any help or insight on the subject would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards to all from sunny Singapore!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dual front disc brake converstion kit for a 2007 Dyna Street Bob

Good day to all!

Has anyone found a dual front disc brake kit conversion for a 2007 Dyna? I've been searching far and wide, to no avail. I am constantly frustrated with the inadequate braking power of my Street Bob's front brake. With the introduction of the 2008 Dyna Fat Bob with dual front discs, maybe the front fork sliders are compatible with the 2007s (they both use 49 mm forks).

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Londonfog

My Dealer is saying that we can do the Fat Bob upgrade to dual disks on 07 Dynas. He is waiting for his first Fat Bob to arrive and then will confirm. Should be a painless bolt up hopefully.
karlrockdrain

·
Thread Ender
3,968 Posts
I have a 2006 Low Rider. A very similar bike to yours. Same front braking components I'm sure. I can lock my front wheel, no problem.

I do have to squeeze the lever considerably to do this. I look at it this way: In an "Oh ****" situation, I would rather have lock-up occur close to the limit of my right hand strength. In that situation, I'll be grabbing a bunch of brake and I don't want to have to let off 50% to get the wheel to start turning again, it would take to long.

If you are dead set on dual discs, you might want to post in the wheels, tires, suspension forum.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Last week on European Bike Week (Faak am See) I saw this bike

I also want to put 2 disc brakes on my FXDWG. I think they use V-rod font end. Maybe somebody know what is difference in lenght between V-rod and FXDWG front fork? DoesVrod front end will be just bolt on? Or maybe I will need to relace the tubes and all internals?

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I'll try to figure it out over the next few months. Since i have a VROD (R Street rod model) I hope I can figure it out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Carlrockdrain!

Would you please let me know whether the Fat Bob parts fit once your dealer confirms it? That sure looks like the easiest and most straight-forward conversion.

Cheers!

·
Gravel
23 Posts
too expensive for me

I looked at the same thing for my 2000 Wide Glide, but found it to be quite expensive. Have to replace the front wheel to accommodate the right rotor, fork slider to hold the caliper, all lines, and the master cylinder because a front dual disk has an 11/16" fitting instead of the single disk 9/16" fitting. From Harley would be well over $1,000 may 2...

My -2$en#e-

londonfog said:
Good day to all!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Pikeslayer said:
I have a 2006 Low Rider. A very similar bike to yours. Same front braking components I'm sure. I can lock my front wheel, no problem.

I do have to squeeze the lever considerably to do this. I look at it this way: In an "Oh ****" situation, I would rather have lock-up occur close to the limit of my right hand strength. In that situation, I'll be grabbing a bunch of brake and I don't want to have to let off 50% to get the wheel to start turning again, it would take to long.

If you are dead set on dual discs, you might want to post in the wheels, tires, suspension forum.
I've installed a stainless wrapped brake line and found that it requires less effort and gives better feedback. I also switched to DOT 5 brakefluid after the DOT 4 ate the paint on the master cylinder. It will lift the rear under the proper conditions...panic stop from 45 mph.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Stopped by the local dealer yesterday, he looked up the part# for the Fat Bob (I have an 07 FXD).

negatives:

1. Apparantly HD says they will not fit earlier models (bit they do not say why).

2. Apparantly the 08 brakes are a little different (I am not confusing the ABS brakes). He didn't know exactly what the difference is.......

Positives:

1.The parts guy thought they might work, the bolt pattern looks the same. He will try to verify as soon as they get another FB on the showroom. The hub is pre drilled to accept another rotor and the bolts holes are there for another caliper.

2. He is very will to help.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
The more i looked onto it, the more comfusing. Some say I need a new wheel, master cylinder, etc, IF it fits....

I sort of gave up, will ride the Street Rod when I want to go fast I guess.

Hopefully HD will out with a "kit" so that I will know exactly what I need to get, then I might change my mind again...:hmmm:

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Dual Brakes

A few months ago I spent a few hours with the service mgr at an HD dealership. Dave and I have been friends close to 20 years. We looked at all of the combination of parts from HD and could not get a workable solution for my 2007 Street Bob.

I contacted QTM who is the Brembo USA importers in LA. They fit their sport bike 4 piston caliper and 320mm rotor to HD wheels.

This 4 piston caliper is not the same as what HD uses on Vrods.

Cost is ~$900. You have to use their brake pads and because they are not the same as the Brembo/HD model you might have to go to a sport bike shop.

I checked the PM 6 piston caliper that works with the HD 11.5" rotor.
Cost is ~$850. About the same as Brembo.

Brembo claims that the face of the 4 pistons are equally touching for more contact surface which provides faster stops than PM. I know guys that have the PM 6 piston and if it works like the 6 piston on my Buell you will stop really fast.

At the present I haven't done anything with my brakes and still wait for a solution. I am leaning toward the Brembo. In the meantime I am installing bigger pistons, head work, pipes and etc.

You would think that this would be an easy fix for the MOCO or others.​

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
Woodreaux, I came to the same conclusion as re: re alternatives. I also talked with QTM, this seems the way to go....

One concern whick was pointed out to me was that "the front froks on the Dynas really twist under braking (talking about an 07). Even with a fork brace, a single rotor which actually works (i.e. QTM) will really exacerbate the problem."

Not sure how real this issue is, but the guy who mentioned it is is very knowledgable about harley's... Steve at GMR.

So, I agree, why can't the MoCo fix such an obvious issue? Oh well, I see they finally have ABS and clutch/kick stand lock outs, only took them 20+ years...:whistle:

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
TomD said:
Have you changed to Lyndall pads yet? They made a big difference on my Fatboy.

Tom
Tried a set yesterday, rode a couple hundred miles today. Angeles Crest Highway (twisties).

I didn't notice any improvement, although they weren't any worse :thumbsdn:

Damn, these are really crappy brakes :thumbsdn: :thumbsdn:

·
Registered
9,250 Posts
FWIW, I have a dual disk set up on an 03 Super Glide. Used all SE parts and added stainless braided lines as well as the SE fork brace. When original pads wore out, I replaced them with non-OEM, but not Lyndall. Some other brand my inde recommended and they work fine.

Since I never rode my bike with the one-disk set up, I have no frame of reference - however, for a bike that weighs about 650, it stops well and I can lock up the front if I'm overzealous. IMHO - not a bad upgrade, esp if you're building the engine and/or riding two-up.

FWIW2, I've also replaced originals with Works shocks and added Race Tech emulators with heavier oil. Suspension upgrades made the bike a completely different animal and a lot more fun to ride. Strongly recommend transitioning to the whole enchilada as budgets allow. Just sayin'...

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
For earlier FXDs, the MoCo offers a dual disc setup (i.e. you can purchase the 2nd calper and rotor out of the catalog). Not for the 07s however. I think it has to do with the bigger forks, rotors, etc. That's the issue. If Harley would offer a second caliper/rotor, I would buy it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts