V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody out there do this while on jiffy stand?
I read both owners and service manuals and neither mention standing bike up to fill with 32 ounces.

·
Registered
881 Posts
I just put a piece of 2x4 under the jiffy stand. It gets the bike upright enough and I've never had a problem getting all 32 oz. in there. Even if you leave an ounce on the floor it won't make any difference.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply!
I’ll try that, it’s winter here so if it has to be at operating temperature it will be in the spring.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
Thanks for the reply!
I’ll try that, it’s winter here so if it has to be at operating temperature it will be in the spring.
If you can't ride don't leave the spent oil in there for the winter. I live in a milder climate and will ride today. Way back when I lived in NJ I changed oil twice. Once in the fall and again in spring.2¢

Sent from my moto g(7) supra using Tapatalk

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you can't ride don't leave the spent oil in there for the winter.
I agree... When I lived in an area where I basically didnt ride much in the winter due to the weather, I always changed oil at the end of riding/boating/driving season... Change it, start em up, let em warm up and circulate the clean oil throughout, then let em cool off and cover them......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can't ride don't leave the spent oil in there for the winter. I live in a milder climate and will ride today. Way back when I lived in NJ I changed oil twice. Once in the fall and again in spring.2¢

You would drain it and fill it in the spring? I was thinking of draining it and filling it without a warm up ride.

·
Super Moderator
19,568 Posts
OK, first, the recomended abount of oil to put in the primary is just that. A recommendation. And it works OK, but it not the best way to do the job.

You should drain the primary on the side stand. Then level the scooter up with what ever. Have your buddy sit on it and hold it level if that's all you've got. Then fill the primary until the oil level just reaches the bottom of the pressure plate.

If you are serious about doing your own service, then you should consider buying a little jack.

A little screw jack is some of the best money you'll spend on that scooter.
Screw Jack

As for the when, at 1000 miles, 10000 miles, and every 10000 miles after that.

·
Registered
8,449 Posts
leave it on the stand,, drain it,, put the plug back in snug, and refill where it sits. the ounce or two will not be missed by the bike,, and wont hurt a thing..
actually a couple ounces stay in up around the comp area... take a look at the angle of the bottom of the primary,, it has a slight forward cant on most bikes..
we did several services a day at the shop..you notice things like that..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, that’s what I’m taking from reading the service manual. They don’t mention anything about having it at operating temperature or standing it up straight, although it would be nice to have a lift or jack.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Just a note here... I have a Pit bull jack ( which works great) but recently I was installing a clutch cable and after removing the derby cover I was surprised to see my primary fluid WAY low... I drained it, measured it, and it was fine... I figured out when you lift by the frame, you rear tire comes up much sooner than the front, so your bike isn't "level" like it is when on both tires......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess it would be easier to get the 32 ounces in and work on. Looks a little scary up there!

·
Super Moderator
19,568 Posts
Just a note here... I have a Pit bull jack ( which works great) but recently I was installing a clutch cable and after removing the derby cover I was surprised to see my primary fluid WAY low... I drained it, measured it, and it was fine... I figured out when you lift by the frame, you rear tire comes up much sooner than the front, so your bike isn't "level" like it is when on both tires...... View attachment 263798
I have one like that sitting in the corner. Its better than nothing, but that's all I'm going to say.

·
Registered
10,348 Posts
I guess it would be easier to get the 32 ounces in and work on. Looks a little scary up there!
When I used to have a 2 wheeler I would jack the bike up and run my trailer straps from the handlebars to the wall on both sides of the garage. The bike would sit at the back of the garage out the way. A sturdy hook through a wall stud is needed for the strap hooks.

·
Registered
624 Posts
As I have said before, all I have is a two car garage that is full ( I need to build a shop if I dont die first)... I have to move a car out to work on the bike... Last home had a 1500' garage/basement.... I sure miss all that room... there is just no room for a bike lift here..
Haven't any of you seen the "Pit Bull" commercials, where the guy pushes it all over and actually climbs on the bike while it is up in the air?? LOL

·
Registered
15,780 Posts
I have a one vehicle carport. You win.
Ha! Even I got got you beat. I've got a 2 car carport. :)

Except at the moment it's a 1 car and 1 motorcycle carport. My truck stays outside while the Barge (Ultra) stays under the roof.

Sent from my SM-A102U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
leave it on the stand,, drain it,, put the plug back in snug, and refill where it sits. the ounce or two will not be missed by the bike,, and wont hurt a thing..
actually a couple ounces stay in up around the comp area... take a look at the angle of the bottom of the primary,, it has a slight forward cant on most bikes..
[/QUOT
tall Terry, when they did the primary services at the shop were they done hot or cold? Pretty easy to warm up the engine oil in the winter here but primary and trans not happening.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts