V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the owner's manual a new part number is listed for the trans and primary chain. I asked Amsoil if they had a reference for it and pasted in their initial and final responses below. .

Initial:
In response to your inquiry, we don't have 2006 model information yet, so cannot give you complete answers. Use the 20W50 MCV in the engine. Harley # 99851-05 is a new lube and we have no information on it yet.
Sincerely,
Byron Selbrede
AMSOIL Technical Service

Final:
In response to your inquiry, we have purchased and tested the new Harley Davidson Formula+ oil. This oil has very little additive content, just a splash of extreme pressure additive, and is a petroleum oil. Our 20W-50 AMV synthetic engine oil is proven to provide less wear as seen in the 4-ball wear tests (Formula + 0.49 wear vs AMSOIL AMV 0.35 wear). AMSOIL will continue to provide the best oil for the application. We recommend AMSOIL AMV 20W-50 for the transmission and chain case.
Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Kevin Dinwiddie

STLE/CLS

Technical Products Manager

Drivetrain & Power Transmissions

AMSOIL Inc.

AMSOIL Building

Superior, WI. 54880

Phone: 715-392-7101 ext. 275

Fax: 715-392-3097

Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
Primary and Transmission Oil

I saw a sign in my local H-D dealer that says they have changed the recommended oils for 06 models. I think it is an admission that the 20w50 is not that great in transmissions. I called Red Line about substitutions and they sent me the following: 20w50 Racing synthetic for engine, MT (manual transmission) synthetic for the primary chain, and Heavy duty 75w140 synthetic for the transmission. My transmission is MUCH quieter now. I can hardly hear it shifting, and after several hours of hard riding it clunks less than it used to when it was cold. Engine oil temps are around 210 degrees after 2 hours of touring. I have not seen 220 degrees yet. In my opinion 20w50 is too thin for the syncronizers in the H-D transmission. This makes the gears clunk because the syncros are not matching the gear speed before engagement. Time will tell.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Amsoil Correction

Amsoil sent me a correction to their previous email:

"As you may have already figured out, there was a mistake in my last email to you. I made reference to AMV and I should have made reference to MCV, the replacement of AMV. Sorry for any confusion. There is a TSB in the dealer zone that will explain the AMSOIL recommended products and clear up any confusion."

I put Amsoil MCV is all three locations in accordance with Amsoil’s recommendation, but am not that comfortable about putting a motor oil in the transmission. I may switch over to a thicker stuff based on your experience.

·
Total Nutcase
2,691 Posts
I'm running Formula+ in my '06 and it's pretty quiet. I do my own service and I already got the "void your warranty lecture" from the dealer once. I figure if I got receipts for HD oil, there isn't anything they can say, and the mechanic agreed with me. I know by law they can't void your warranty for using different oil, but I can't afford a lawyer or the aggravation.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts