V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, when it comes to motorcycles... i dont know the least bit about them. I rode a 03' 1200 sporty for a few years and i got tired of it. I just bought this new springer softail and it dosent seem to have the get up and go that i would like. I have been around bikes a bit but not enough to know a lot about them. I've been in the army the last 6 years and I now have a job where I have ample time to learn and enjoy riding. If you guys could give me some pointers on how i can get this bike to go a bit faster that would be great...reguardless, any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
98 Posts
Normally the first step is what most call a stage 1 upgrade. This is a hi-flow air cleaner, either a Screaming Eagle (SE) or Arlen Ness Big Sucker. Both of these have a K&N type air filter. Aftermarket exhaust pipes, either replace your stock mufflers with performance mufflers (the SE II slip ons seem to work fine) or a 2 into 1 header like a Supertrapp or Vance & Hines Pro Pipe. Last you need a way to richen the fuel curve. You didn't say whether you had a carb or fuel injection. With the carb you can just rejet it, if it is fuel injection you can either have the dealer install a stage one download or you can add an aftermarket unit such as the TFI, Dynojet powercommander, etc.
A stage one TC88 that is properly tuned should provide around 70-72 horsepower and 80-85 ft. lbs. of torque.

·
Ironbutt
7,412 Posts
Even though you don't know much about bikes...as you say...you probably know that more speed requires more horsepower (HP) and more HP = $$$ when talking Harleys. If you just want a "bit" more HP then just do the stage one upgrade, which means hi flow air filter and hi flow exhaust. If your bike is fuel injected you'll have to have it remapped (more $$$) or rejetted if carbed. Stage one upgrade will give you 10 to 15 more HP.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts