V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Paid a visit to my local dealer today to ask some simple questions about exhausts and walked away pissed off. I asked the guy what are some differences about full pipes and slip-ons and before I could go any further he cut me off and began to lecture me on how I will void my warranty if I put pipes on. He also said that the 2006 Roadking has a catalytic converter inside the muffler now.

I am interested in putting on the Rynhart "Eagle Beak" slip-ons. My question is how hard are these to put on? I do have experience putting on pipes on previous bikes. Do I need to "remap" the computer with slip-ons? Any help would be appreciated.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
Yes.........your dealer.....

.....is a moron.

The only part of your warranty you can void by changing the pipes is whatever the pipes can be shown to affect. The seat? not likely. Tires? no. Engine, not really. There are plenty of legal eagles on here who can tell you the exact law to which this pertains, but I think it's the Magnuson-Moss warranty act.

What a clown.

I have a 2005 Road King Classic. I run Thunderheader 2:1 pipes and they sound and perform beautifully, and look smashing, too (I have the chrome heat shields, as well). You have a wide array of choices available.

You might post an introduction message in the first subject area to appease the "introduction nazis".

Best wishes-

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the help. I think I have decided to go ahead with the pipe install myself as well as the stage 1 and only take it in to have the ECM reprogramed.

·
Banned
871 Posts
That's the kind of answer to expect when you go to a stealership. They will say anything to get you to spend money at their shop, rather than somewhere else. Go for aftermarket parts and save a bundle, not to mention a lot of headaches. :)

The T-header is excellent, as is the Pro-Pipe. There are some good slip-ons like those from Cycle Shack. They are about the best slip-ons for a 2-2 system. If you want to keep your headpipes, that's great. That crossover helps a lot with performance. True duals aren't the best performing pipes, except for a few exceptions.

No matter which exhaust you change to, you really need to change the air cleaner as well. More airflow out needs more airflow in. Also, you MUST get it dyno-tuned whenever you change parts affecting airflow or combustion, if you want to get the most out of it. You can try to get it close using a generic map or one from someone else, but it still won't be performing at it's best. No two engines are exactly alike, and even atmospheric conditions will have an effect on tuning, so each engine needs to be fine-tuned individually.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Not sure which dealer you used but we purchased a 06 RKC in November. We opted to add the catylic screaming eagle slip-ons and very dissapointed.Could not tell the difference from the stock. The dealer did not have a problem letting us exchange to V&H slip-ons.(even gave us full credit for the SC;s. Being we did all this at time of purchase they were also covered under the standard 2yr warrrenty. The only catch was due to the inforcment of the emmission law we had to install our selves, which we did in the P-lot. Rolled back into the shop they added the air cleaner and tuner, dyno-ed it and off we went. Runs & sound great.

·
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot
551 Posts
Tech guy at my dealer said they are discontinuing Screaming Eagles for the RK as of May 1 because of the catalytic converter, and the EPA issue associated with it.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi all,

The 06 does have a converter but only in the rt side slip on. I wouldn't worry about pipes unless you live in an area with polution police. On the ol lady's 06 RK I knocked the plugs out without removing the CC and it does sound twice as good but she says it's not bad ass enough so we will be going to slip on's and Rineharts if we can get em. The way I heard it if you just go pipes you don't need a map unless you go to the air cleaner I did this on my last bike 32k and my 05 softail 12k with no ill effects but don't quote me. I am going to the air cleaner this week and there are a few options as far as the ecm but I decided on the power commander.

Kevin

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cowboy_bc said:
Hi all,

The 06 does have a converter but only in the rt side slip on. I wouldn't worry about pipes unless you live in an area with polution police. On the ol lady's 06 RK I knocked the plugs out without removing the CC and it does sound twice as good but she says it's not bad ass enough so we will be going to slip on's and Rineharts if we can get em. The way I heard it if you just go pipes you don't need a map unless you go to the air cleaner I did this on my last bike 32k and my 05 softail 12k with no ill effects but don't quote me. I am going to the air cleaner this week and there are a few options as far as the ecm but I decided on the power commander.

Kevin
That is also what I was told by my local mechanic as well. Download is only needed when going to the new AC. Pipes you can put on and do nothing to the ECM.

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
......if I had to do it again, I'd skip the download and just go with the PCIII or SERT. The download is still lean and you'll end up getting one or the other to correct (if you change the air box).

The SERT changes the MAP directly, the PCIII manipulates the info sent to the injectors.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Download is a good backup in case the PCIII goes down.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts