V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2006 Road King with a mild build (95 kit, S&S 510 gear cams, SERT) and was thinking of upgrading the exhaust to a 2-in-1 Fatcat and shaving the heads to bring the compression up to the 9.5/1 range.

I have heard that the 2006 heads are much improved with larger exhaust ports and porting (which is sometimes a hot debate item anyway) is probably not worth it. :hmmm:

My local HD Dealer is telling me to spend $1k on porting One of my future upgrades is going to be a closed loop EFI so I don't have to deal with them everytime I change something.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quality porting can be had for under $300.00 from a sponsor here I believe. And, I have read great things about them. I do not know what you gain from simply porting '06 heads though. Maybe that is what you want to kow.

More extensive porting, valves, decking, and fu-fu majic can be had for ~ $400.00 - $700.00+ from several reputable techies.

As for how much better '06 heads are than let's say my '02's I can not say. I would venture to say,once reworked, there may be little to no difference. And, for $1k on headwork alone, I would expect to be putting those on more than a 95" with ~9.1:1 compression.

It seems like the dealer took a big swag at the estimate. That, or he makes a few hundred off of the deal. My '02 heads have the "Scotsman" set up and my 95" sh*ts and gets. I spent $395 for the reworking of my stock heads that included valves, decked, and porting.

Define your goal and plan your upgrades progressively, if you must do it this way, in order to maximize your cash outlay.

As hard as it was for me to wait, I defined what I wanted, and bought accordingly. And, once I had everything in place, I sent out the appropriate components to get re-worked (heads and jugs) and did it all at once.

Be careful, there are many opportunities to be unduly seperated from your $$ under the pretense of adding more "cool factor" to your HD. This is a great place to bounce off your ideas. Others more experienced than I will will chime in and help you with their wisdom, I am sure. Sorry for the long winded reply.

95"
TW37G
.03 Cometic
Scotsman heads
PCIII USB
3.37 gearing
Baisley spring
B Series Lifters
Fatcat
SE flat tops
and misc.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Comments
The DTT would be the only true closed loop EFI aftermarket option today soon to come more, but in the current configuration this build does not need that.
The build would benefit from the head milling
The heads are owners denial / rationalization/ more than some spectacular inovation. The exhaust port is much improved, whereas the intake is bigger but lower roof. I can't figure the logic in that. So bottom line is a porter needs to work them if you want to go over 100/100. If you want to get in the 90/90 range that could be done as-is with the FatCat and the head shave. Really if you were milling the heads it would be benificial to have a machine shop do some mild bowl blending and intake port matching.
Use a Cometic .030 head gasket.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
RKguy said:
I have heard that the 2006 heads are much improved with larger exhaust ports and porting (which is sometimes a hot debate item anyway) is probably not worth it. :hmmm:
The 06 heads flow 12% better on the intake and 17% better on the exhaust when compared to 02-05 heads.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
IMHO, 06 heads are a good upgrade for a 99-05, 88" motor. If you plan on going to 95" and want to really improve your hp/tq you still need to port these heads. Porting can run you $299 and up depending what you want. Like I said, Just my -2$en#e-

·
IronButt
6,364 Posts
The 06 heads have good and bad in them . Yes they do in fact flow better but I have dyno them in stock and mod version new and old and have not seen any real gains. With port work they really start to flow, add a good valve job, and better flowing valve and some port work and they are good. I do not think that if I where doing a 95 build that I would swap in a 06 head and look to have any real gains. Adding compression will give you a gain as well as the cam bigger bore. But like I said I have dynoed them and have not seen anything to hoop and holler about.

Bad wise I do not like the valve that is used , or the guide set up but with some work that can be fixed and offer great performance and many many miles of FUN.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Perfect example of you can't ride a dyno or even get a peep out of a motor on a flow bench
Thanks Steve, you reconfirmed what I already knew

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
I spoke with Dewey today about my 06 stock heads and possibly getting them ported. He said that with a mild 95" (21G, 26G, & 37G) build they are excellent and produce a nice wide torque curve straight from the MoCo. His opinion was that they are capable of 100/100 without doing a thing to them (he did suggest decking them to get the right compression for the 37). Dewey said that I would see no difference between non-ported vs. ported 06's with the 21 or 26, & a slight difference with the 37. In his opinion they are very much improved over the prior years. He also said that he does not charge ($100 discount) for changing out the valves, guides, & springs on the 06's because they perform excellent right out of the box.

Just what I was told:whisper:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
06 heads

I got the same information from Dewey about two months ago, concerning my mild 95 build, using Andrews 37 chain-drive cams. He said the heads were good enough out of the box, that he didn't think I would "feel" an increase from porting the heads. I've never met Jelen Dewey, but when a guy turns away easy money, it makes you study what he has to say a little closer. I still plan to do my own inspection, mild clean-up, and maybe a small amount of short-side radius work, depending on how they look when I take them apart, then deck them for 9.5 static CR. John Sachs has also commented that the thought the 06 heads were noticeably better than previous ones.

·
07', 04', 03', & 02
1,099 Posts
Yeah, and Deweys only been doing headwork for 20+ years...so what would he know:hmmm:

·
Registered
780 Posts
bedemonster said:
Yeah, and Deweys only been doing headwork for 20+ years...so what would he know:hmmm:
Been porting heads since 1978. 3 shovel heads and 2 pan heads that year. YES,you can always gain power by porting,but,is it worth it. One guy on here that I told not to port ,just use a Cometic .030 and the Andrews 37 cams ,made 91 hp. and 96 tq. and he didn't have the best exhaust ! The 2006 are running a little bigger combustion chambers ,{86 - 88 cc } so I would ;flycut' the heads .025 and use a Cometic .030 head gaskets. .007 = 1 cc. ps. Dewey's is selling the Zippers air filters.

·
Registered
780 Posts
It is a type of cutter used on the milling machine. It will cut the head in 1 pass. Any machine shop will know what your talking about. $40-50 to do both heads. They will set the heads up on parrelles {precision groung plates} and you won't have to take the springs out. Only take 20 minutes to do both.

·
Arrogant Bastard
1,264 Posts
SILVER BULLET said:
Been porting heads since 1978. 3 shovel heads and 2 pan heads that year. YES,you can always gain power by porting,but,is it worth it. One guy on here that I told not to port ,just use a Cometic .030 and the Andrews 37 cams ,made 91 hp. and 96 tq. and he didn't have the best exhaust ! The 2006 are running a little bigger combustion chambers ,{86 - 88 cc } so I would ;flycut' the heads .025 and use a Cometic .030 head gaskets. .007 = 1 cc. ps. Dewey's is selling the Zippers air filters.
I'm the guy Dewey is talking about. I was using the V&H BSS pipes when I made those numbers. I've since switched to the new Rinehart 2 into 1 pipe. My numbers went up to 93hp/101 torque with this pipe. But even better the torque curve smoothed out and comes on sooner now. So what Dewey told me worked for me as I could maybe get a couple of HP more if the heads flowed a little more in the top end but the torque is all there now. Here's the dyno runs for my bike with both pipes. The first is with the Rinehart. I think I could have got a couple more hp. out of it but I had it tuned to keep the mileage decent rather than richen the mixture on top for more hp. The flat spot in the torque curve is much more pronounced with the V&H pipes and you could actually feel it when riding the bike. With the Rinehart it shows up on the dyno but its not noticable on the street. The peak in the torque is also down lower by about 300 rpm.

The second is the V&H BSS pipes.

Joe

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for all of the great feedback! I think I'll forgo the porting job and go for decking the heads.

Thanks again!

·
Doing time, behind bars!
1,480 Posts
Good pictures..........

Check out this on ebay for good pictures & flow numbers

Item number: 4628904723

:)

·
Registered
1 Posts
06 or 05??

Need to be careful finding out exactly what heads you have.
Just because its an 06 built bike doesnt mean you have the lastest 06 heads.
I purchased a set of low mileage heads that came of an early06 build, but they ended up being identical casting numbers to a set of 05 heads I already had.
Seems there is some overlap in manufacturing. Stands to reason HD will use all their old stocks before going to the new design head.
Its all in the casting numbers not the year of manufacture.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts