V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I just bought a 2006 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Cobalt and Silver). I've never owned a Harley before, (Had a Kawasaki 1500, and currently own a 1999 Valkyre Interstate (full dresser)). So needless to say, I'm new to the Harley experience.

I did'nt know what to put on the bike (will pick it up next week), but harley friends tell me to put in a Stage 1 air kit (whatever that is) and the dealer recommended Screaming Eagle Slash down pipes. Bike is fully decked with the options (Wire wheels, Bluetooth, GPS etc..)

Can anybody out there tell me if I'm making a good choice? Been a little nervous (laying down $24,000.00) for a bike I've never had experience with. Anyone know of any problems that they can tell me about??

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
rhilburn said:
Hello All,

I just bought a 2006 FLHTCUI Ultra Classic Electra Glide (Cobalt and Silver). I've never owned a Harley before, (Had a Kawasaki 1500, and currently own a 1999 Valkyre Interstate (full dresser)). So needless to say, I'm new to the Harley experience.

I did'nt know what to put on the bike (will pick it up next week), but harley friends tell me to put in a Stage 1 air kit (whatever that is) and the dealer recommended Screaming Eagle Slash down pipes. Bike is fully decked with the options (Wire wheels, Bluetooth, GPS etc..)

Can anybody out there tell me if I'm making a good choice? Been a little nervous (laying down $24,000.00) for a bike I've never had experience with. Anyone know of any problems that they can tell me about??
Only problem I ever had was not having another 24k to customoze with! :welcome:

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Welcome to the site that has might.

Get the bike, try it out. Great product stock out of the box. Make your own changes. You have had enough quality bikes in the past to know whats going on.

The only person you need to please is your self.

Post up and read some top shelf material from some of the great folks at VTF

Congrats on the new bike. see you soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Popey,

Your right about the other quality bikes. I put 87,000 on the Kawasaki, and 40,000 on the Valkyre. From what I'm hearing from this forum and others, looks like I made a good choice.

·
Retired Air Force
339 Posts
Great choice. As was said earlier it is great right out of the box. Fix it up to suit your self and enjoy.

·
Ridin' with the King
1,352 Posts
Yep, great bike out of the box, Most folks just ride them for a while to get a feel for the bike and then do some minor performance upgrades and whatever else. Like they used to say back in the day - it's more than a machine. Welcome :)

H

·
0 Posts
Two problems I can forsee are trying to get the smile off your face, and a leg injury from trying to kick yourself for not getting it sooner. You're going to REALLY enjoy riding now.

Welcome to the board.

Harris

·
Registered
769 Posts
rhilburn said:
Hello All,

Personally if i were you ,, i would leave the engine, intake and exhaust stock .... You will save a whole lot of money and wont have to listen to all the extra noise ,,, your HP gains will be very small with a stage one ... save your money and take your honey on a trip .......rat

H

·
0 Posts
ratt said:
Personally if i were you ,, i would leave the engine, intake and exhaust stock .... You will save a whole lot of money and wont have to listen to all the extra noise ,,, your HP gains will be very small with a stage one ... save your money and take your honey on a trip .......rat
Excellent advice.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
:welcome: to the forum. Congrats on the new bike. Post up often and enjoy.

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
ratt said:
Rhilburn, welcome to the forum bud. As for the above advice......grain of salt my friend. Take it with a grain of salt. :whistle: Rarely do you find where a Harley's engine is louder than it's exhaust.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Harris said:
Excellent advice.
I'll third that....the extra noise is very fatiquing on long rides and will damage your ears unless you wear earplugs...

·
The Alter Ego
5,580 Posts
lawman 101 said:
I'll third that....the extra noise is very fatiquing on long rides and will damage your ears unless you wear earplugs...
How fast are you guys traveling?:dry: At 60 mph, I can barely hear my exhaust. Only reason I'd need earplugs would be for wind. I've rode my dad's fatboy with his Vance and Hines Big Radius. And it was still cool. You guys must have the exhaust cut off at the engine. Now that is loud! :bleh:

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
:welcome: to VTF man.
Congrats on the new bike.
I find Harleys need to breath....a stg 1 up grade won't kill your ears or break the bank if you shop around.:cheers:

·
Registered
5 Posts
I Am In Same Boat!!!!

%[email protected] Hey,
I just bought the same bike myself, and as you, have owned the Vulcan 1500se.
I have the same questions, so I followed up on the advice...STILL WANT SOUND, MY WIFE SAID THE SAME THING, SHE WANTS TO HEAR THE PIPES RUMBLE ALSO, SO THAT IS MUSIC TO MY EARS... MY PROBLEM IS FINDING THE BEST COMBINATION... MY FATHER HAS THUNDERHEADS ON HIS 97 POLICE ELECTRO GLIDE, AND IT SOUNDS AWESOME, BUT IT COMES WITH A COST. SAY'S HE CAN NOT HEAR HIS RADIO, BUT YOU AND I HAVE HEADSETS, SO I THINK AND HOPE THAT WILL MAKE THE MUSIC FLOW TO MY EARS...
I JUST ADDED THE EXTRA THINGS YOU DO NOT GET FROM HARLEY WHICH I FEEL FOR THE MONEY WE SPENT, SHOULD HAVE BEEN INCLUDED... BACKREST($200 ADD ON), AND A FEW LITTLE PERKS THAT I WILL SHOW YOU WHEN I TAKE A PICTURE OF MY RIDE!!!!!!
BASICALLY, NOW IT IS JUST UP TO YOU HOW YOU CUSTOMIZE THE APPEARANCE, AND I WENT WITH THE "FLAMES" AND I REALLY GET A LOT OF HEADTURNS...
IF YOU OR ANYONE ELSE CARES TO ELABORATE, I AM ALL EARS...

JOHN 2006 FLHTCUI BRANDY WINE SUNGLOW

·
Registered
18 Posts
On board with new Ultra

I just purchased the 06 Ultra.Unfortanately I am now watching an ice storm and just itching to ride. just traded MY 01 ROAD KING and really like the Ultra although I have only riden it 3 times.I had the pythons and Vance and hines tru duals as well asthe stage 1 and race tuner.what a difference,a little loud though,but what music to the ears.This is my first Ultra and can't
wait to log some miles next year.Just wanted to put in my 2 cents and say
howdy....L8R................Danny

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
It's like this, whatever melts your butter. You might like a better sound out of the hog, so new muffs might be the answer. If so, you might need the download (most likely will).

Any way you go is good. Just have fun and ride safe!

Ray

2005 FLSTSCI Softail Springer Classic.

See pix of my bike here...

http://beta.propichosting.com/Album.aspx?folder=450007794

·
Registered
50 Posts
New Harley Owner

Hello,

I just logged into this site. First message. Will need to learn how to navigate. Just purchased an 2006 Ultra. Had owned previously a Yahama 1100 V-Star. Looking to ride further. Really wanted a kicking stereo. First Harley. Have owned a bike since highschool. Kaw, Suk & Yam.

Hope to learn from others about the Harley.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Race Tuner

TWOHATS said:
I just purchased the 06 Ultra.Unfortanately I am now watching an ice storm and just itching to ride. just traded MY 01 ROAD KING and really like the Ultra although I have only riden it 3 times.I had the pythons and Vance and hines tru duals as well asthe stage 1 and race tuner.what a difference,a little loud though,but what music to the ears.This is my first Ultra and can't
wait to log some miles next year.Just wanted to put in my 2 cents and say
howdy....L8R................Danny

I ordered the same set-up on a 2006 Ultra (V&H BigShot duals, stage 1 and Race tuner) although I won't be picking it up for a couple months. Did the dealer do the EFI tune when you took delivery or is that something you can play with. Dealer said I needed one, but not sure what I bought. THX

1 - 20 of 22 Posts