V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What causes so much vibration in the handlebars at idle??
It shakes the ferring, fatigued the mounts, windshield, gps holder tossed ..everything.
I know HDs are known for a different beat but this much more. Its not right.
Has anyone hade a similar issue that is identifiable? Successfully fixed?
-Bourbonator

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
86 Posts
What causes so much vibration in the handlebars at idle?
Check your motor Mounts
Rubber mounted touring engine vibration is not so bad on the new ones
That's the reason I bought a Heritage softail in 2006, with the Internal Balance engine, that is bolted to the frame.
Smooth as silk, No vibration , no Handle bar shake, you can read the license plate on the car behind you at a stop sign.
It is the reverse on the hwy, the Touring ride is smoother than the heritage cruising 70-80 Mph.
I now just switched to Touring 2013 EG Ultra, everything vibrates at Idle, I call it My "Shake and Break"
I only switched to Touring now because I'm retired and use it for touring.
The Heritage beat me up on the hwy at 70-80 mph, the touring is so smooth I could fall a sleep at 80 mph it is so smooth. It does suck at Idle, Shake and Break

·
Registered
840 Posts
took me a while finding/removing all the vibe causes... getting them to a minimal ...but still the eng must run! but mine is now very smooth all around for a evo eng.

·
Registered
2004 FLHTI
736 Posts
My 04 FLHTI with 45,0000 miles began to rattle my teeth out this summer. I just changed the front motor mount and the swingarm isolators on it this week. Only got in a short test ride so far but I could tell the difference right away. Much less vibration.

·
Registered
9,098 Posts
without going into a long, sleep inducing saga of my own engine,, designed, built, tuned and ridden by myself.. it mames 137hp from 113 inches.. and is very streetable.. its an FXRS,, engine is internally balanced,, and even then still has a pretty healthy vibe sitting at idle,, it was not designed to sit and idle,, im not concerned.. once the clutch is out,,, it is so smooth,,

once you run down the list, and if the vibes continue,, especially if there are excessive while in motion, there is most likely a crank runout issue, or crank shift or scissoring.. if that is the case,,, time to decide if you want to keep it,, sell it, or trade it in on a new one..
simple and short,,,,
btw,, sometimes the handlebar clamps andriser bolts are loose, causing the vibes..

·
Registered
2013 Electra Glide Ultra Classic
86 Posts
most likely a crank runout issue, or crank shift or scissoring.. if that is the case,,, time to decide if you want to keep it,, sell it
If you find out its crank runout issue, or crank shift or scissoring and sell it, please Tell the buyer, That would dirty pool if you don't tell a buyer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts