V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody added a Tachometer to a 2006 Dyna Super Glide Custom?

I was thinking of adding one to mine, but I've been having a hard time finding one that works with and will fit (based on keeping the original speedometer the way it is).

The harley catalog doesn't have anything that will work (as far as I can tell)

Anyone else try this ?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
116 Posts
I though about it but I think I like the bike better w/out it.
One less thing for me to take my eyes off the road to look at.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hey Jeff! I am in the same situation with this dilemma. Get a JP catalog and look at the Cobra units that bolt to the handlebar. The HD catalog has a 2" guage which will mount over the triple tree bolt giving and over-under appearance. I like the "dual guage between the tank and handlebar" look. I picked up my 06 Custom last week, and thought about switching handlebars or getting risers to get the clearence for that mod. Also, keep patient because the when the popularity increases, more options will be available. Anyone else..?

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
JeffS said:
Has anybody added a Tachometer to a 2006 Dyna Super Glide Custom?

I was thinking of adding one to mine, but I've been having a hard time finding one that works with and will fit (based on keeping the original speedometer the way it is).

The harley catalog doesn't have anything that will work (as far as I can tell)

Anyone else try this ?

Thanks

Jeff
HD used to carry the bracket and tach in a kit. It mounts the tach and speedo together and I believe they cane in black or chrome. I have my 03 FXD set up that way. It works great and looks fine. Just be sure you follow the install directions and torque the bolts holding the bracket to spec or you'll get a stress fracture across the bracket from vibration.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
While at the HD Shop.. the service and parts guys looked through the hd catalog and the Drag Specialties book. there were 2 small handlebar mount tachs but they said that the wiring wouldn't work with the 06. I'm not familiar with the wiring diagrams on the bikes, so I don't know why it won't work, but he did mention something about the bikes used to have a pink wire they could tap into for adding a tach.. and on the 06 they don't have that... it has some other integrated connection for the speedo and tach.

We also looked at the HD control housings and yes.. if I wanted to i could take the original Speedo off and buy a new double housing, new controls.. new handlbar brackets, etc.. and end up with a new speedo and tach. That is way too expensive and I like the looks of my stock Speedo which is built into the handlbar bracket with all of the control lights.

If I can't add a simple handlebar clamp tach of some sort, I will probably just leave it alone.

lesrrt... I did add straight risers and changed out the handlebars to a one that doesn't sweep back as much. They aren't staight bars.. but they do make for a slight more aggressive riding position. The curved risers would make our Speedometer have a funky angle since it is built into the Handlebar clamp. Also.. i'm probably going to put the original small risers back on and change the handlebars to ones that have a similar pull back shape... but with more rise to make up for the short risers. I love the feel of the bike with the tall risers and new handlebars... but I don't like the Speedometer being so high.. It doesn't get in the way at all.. it just doesn't look good being that high.

Jeff

·
Registered
96 Posts
Try a company called Alloy Art. They make a mount for the 2-5/8" HD Mini Tach that is attached to the fork nut. It's all chrome and looks very nice.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks.. i looked up Alloy Art and also called them. It looks like a very clean way to add a Tach. All I need to do now is talk to the HD shop and make sure the Mini-Tach will work with the 06 model.

Robbie at Alloy Art was very helpful and looked up info on my model bike to make sure it would work with it. He also said that if there isn't a dealer listed in your area that any dealer that can order from Drag Specialties can get this part.

http://www.alloyart.com/products/sm.html

Any other ideas are still welcome and appreciated! :)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
I just picked up an 06 Super Glide myself. I was hoping to find a tac kit for mine. The parts guy at the shop told me to wait a few months for a kit to come out. He is hoping to see one by summer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've posted before on the tacho theme - see attached jpeg for my set-up. The data wire is connected to pin3 at the ecm on my 2005 FXDCi

·
Registered
57 Posts
Not too shabby. Does it attach to the t-bar or the fastener fitting within the tripletree bolt? Good pics though, thanks!

·
Registered
16 Posts
2006 Dyna Tach

I have a 2006 Street Bob.I had the same problem when trying to install a Tach.The 2006 Dyna with the small spedo does not have a sourse hook up under the dash to hook a tach up to.Also when we tried to hook the Harley tach to the ecm it would only read about 1/2 rpm. So I purchased a Zippers info center. AWESOM guage.......It is not only a Tach but it is a complete info center, it has a shift light,head temp with high limit warning,fuel computer,sec light,spedo etc.But the only problem is that it is a 5 in guage like the fatboy uses.So I custom mounted a 2004 softail dash on my bike.Looks Great.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tach Installed :)

Thanks to the detailed instructions from PowerCobra98 and an awesome ShareProject presentation that one of the guys on HDForums posted I was able to install the Alloy Art Gauge mount and the Harley Mini-Tach on my 2006 Dyna super glide custom.

Here is the link the the share project presentation.

http://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectThumbs,p,173,00.html

Hooking the single wire into slot #3 on the ECM connector worked like a charm.

Unfortunately I didn't have my camera during the install, but I'll post some post install pics. Go see the share project presentation for detailed photos and descriptions.

Thanks PowerCobra for all the advice and info. It was helped alot in this process. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
JeffS said:
Thanks to the detailed instructions from PowerCobra98 and an awesome ShareProject presentation that one of the guys on HDForums posted...
Thanks PowerCobra for all the advice and info. It was helped alot in this process. :)
No problem. Glad we could help.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I was just checking out the 06 motor parts catalog, on page 210, part # 67224-04 is a Tachometer addition kit for the FXD SuperGlide, may fit your bike too as I think you have the same setup.

I plan to upgrade to it eventually but it is a few steps down on the list of stuff that I want to buy.

Brad
06 SuperGlide

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
SuperGlide0671 said:
I was just checking out the 06 motor parts catalog, on page 210, part # 67224-04 is a Tachometer addition kit for the FXD SuperGlide, may fit your bike too as I think you have the same setup.

I plan to upgrade to it eventually but it is a few steps down on the list of stuff that I want to buy.

Brad
06 SuperGlide
Thanks.. the reason I wanted an alternative to that Tach Kit is so that I can retain the stock speedo on my Super Glide Custom which is built in to the handlebar clamp. I like the looks of the stock speedo setup and didn't want to spend the money on new clamps and gauge mounts that wouldn't look as nice.

This was an awesome solution to the problem.

At some point Harley may come out with their own alternative and one that is compatible with the signal feed coming from the 2006 Speedo wiring harnesss so you don't have to run a new wire into the ECM connector. I'm too impatient to wait for that unknown. :)

·
Ironsomething
845 Posts
SuperGlide0671 said:

Brad
06 SuperGlide

part # 67224-04 WILL NOT WORK ON AN '06 DYNA! I know this for a fact. That p/n is for 04-05 ONLY!. The parts guy at my dealer told me that it WOULD work because, as he put it, "alot of the '05 parts will fit the '06, they just havent been put n the catalog yet" He did not have one in stock so I ordered it online.
WRONG!!
Got it and discovered that the wiring harness WILL NOT WORK ON AN 06. The reason is that the '06 models do not have an exposed connector for the speedo below it (like the 04-05 do). The wiring harness is one piece and goes directly INTO the frame at the neck.

The rest of the tach kit (tach, mount bracket) will work but the wiring harness will not.

Now I've got to send it back and hope HD come out with one that will work soon.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts