V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a letter today from the MOCO. Letter from MOCO dated 2/28/2006 states that the Initial Customer Care Program for the 2006 Dyna has concluded.

.Inner Primary Bearing Replacement at 15K is no longer necessary.
.Trans oil change is now set at 20K
.Inner Primary oil change now set at 10K

As this is my first H/D, help me out here guys. Doesn't my Dyna still have the same inner primary bearing that it had when I took delivery a few months back, or did the H/D tech sneek in and replace it with a new improved model while I was sleeping. Hummm. Same bearing that I had to sign the paperwork to agree to replace at 15K, but now it is not required.

In addition, spoke to my dealer about the new fuel injector service bulletin. He said, ummmm, there is a flowchart that your bike will have to pass before we will replace the injectors. I said that made me feel much better for buying an early 06 version of the bike, now that the MOCO is making all of the 06's with the new injectors. I told him that he should have a whole bunch of satisfied early 06 customers given his dealerships position on replacing the early model injectors with what is now the new factorys 06 fuel injector standard.

So, after a trans recall, injector changes, lean EPA mandated EFI conditions, O2 sensors, and now a inner bearing which really does not need replacement at 15K, I am not sure that my 06 Dyna was the right purchase. That Duece and Night Train that I considered, looks pretty good to me right now. No more first year bikes after a major upgrade for me. They even had 35 years to get it right on my SuperGlide and seem to have messed up. :nunu:

·
Guitar Dude
280 Posts
Sounds fishy to me, that's all I can add, but I was wondering if you had any pictures of your 35th Anniversary you could post. The only pictures I've seen are from the Harley website.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fuel Injectors

Trapper,

See this thread. MOCO is putting different injectors in all new 2006 88's after Feb 13. Been several threads discussing pro's and con's of this. Suspicious guy that I am, I just have to figure theres a reason behind MOCO swapping in new injectors on all new bikes.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72094

As far as problems with my bike. None now, but worried about how an inner bearing was so suspect that I had to sign an agreement at purchase to get it replaced at 15K, and now all of a sudden it's not an issue. My thoughts are that the MOCO has figured out that the majority of them will last past warranty. What will it cost me to replace if it goes bad at that point? I looked at the agreement as an insurance policy for me as well. Now MOCO has cancelled my policy without replacing the suspect part. That's what bothers me. If it was suspect enough to the engineers to warrant an agreement at purchase, what has changed. Guess they were that wrong about the bearing's durability?

·
Registered
106 Posts
FXD35 said:
Trapper,

See this thread. MOCO is putting different injectors in all new 2006 88's after Feb 13. Been several threads discussing pro's and con's of this. Suspicious guy that I am, I just have to figure theres a reason behind MOCO swapping in new injectors on all new bikes.

http://www.v-twinforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72094

As far as problems with my bike. None now, but worried about how an inner bearing was so suspect that I had to sign an agreement at purchase to get it replaced at 15K, and now all of a sudden it's not an issue. My thoughts are that the MOCO has figured out that the majority of them will last past warranty. What will it cost me to replace if it goes bad at that point? I looked at the agreement as an insurance policy for me as well. Now MOCO has cancelled my policy without replacing the suspect part. That's what bothers me. If it was suspect enough to the engineers to warrant an agreement at purchase, what has changed. Guess they were that wrong about the bearing's durability?

First I doubt it was the bearing that was the suspect part. But more so the configuration with which that bearing was used. Meaning if a problem was found they would be replaceing more then that bearing. I assume they have found the configuration on that bearing to be fine. If in the future they do have failures Im sure you will be covered. Hard for a company to have a leg in court if it failed and you have a paper written by them for a 15k mile replacement plan of said part. And I would look at it as they where that correct in there figures the bearing is durable for the job. But they wanted to make sure with real world testing. Far as injector changes and othe changes they will make in the future that is not new. Maybe it is to Harley (which I doubt) but in the automotive world it is very common. I am very happy with my 06 WG and if I was to do it all over again I would buy the same bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts