• Laconia Bike Week, Lake Winnipesaukee NH, June 10-18

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • Mt. Washington VTF Ride, Mt. Washington NH, Date TBD

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Mt. Washington AND Laconia Bike Week, NH, June 10-18

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • Blue Ridge Parkway, Shenandoah to Great Smokies, Date TBD

Votes: 8 72.7%
  • Other, post an even better idea for a ride!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daytona Daytona Bike Week, Daytona FL, March 3rd - 12th

• Finger Lakes, NY state, Date TBD

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We've all been kicking around plenty of good ideas for a Northern Virginia Delinquents/VTF big ride this Spring/Summer. Something that is going to require a few days off from work. Maybe a Thursday to Tuesday thing. I don't think it's an "if" but rather a "where" and "when" question at this point. At least it is for me! So I wanted to throw out a poll and consolidate the discussion so we can dig into some real planning.

Here's a few web resources to get us started:

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
that's the first i've seen WLL...pretty cool...
I suggested to a friend that's been to Sturgis to take 70 out to ILL. and then up, which eliminates the Chicago Loop & all it's headaches.
After he came back this year, he said it was smoother sailing.

·
fourty three and seven...
3,465 Posts
Dear NoVa boyz:

I would like to continue my invitation to folks for the MT W ride.

Just to keep a poker in the fire.

POPEyE

·
We're still here ya know
689 Posts
Time is the issue here. No way I can make it to Sturgis... Jumpin on the Blue Ridge and heading South is the most convenient...but that don't make it the best...

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
HD-LUX said:
If you'all haven't tried Windows Live Local it is pretty cool. A lot like Google Maps but with a few more tricks. Here's a link to a map from Washington, DC to Mount Washington, NH.

http://local.live.com/?v=2&rtp=pos....pos.44.270189_-71.303610_mount washington, nh

Total miles: 593.5 mi

Here's Sturgis:

http://local.live.com/?v=2&rtp=pos....ton, dc~pos.44.414931_-103.508949_sturgis, sd

Total miles: 1637.5 mi
That local live is some cool "S"

I'm kinda in limbo with the job, making a transition to south central PA. Kinda setting up the retirement plans.

I will make any ride that I can.

Later

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny, South Central PA (where my Mom grew up) is a little over an hour's blast up 15N. Almost easier to get to than Fairfax from where I am in Ashburn considering the NoVa traffic. Right around the corner!

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
cast my vote for mt wash & laconia

Have to see if I can juggle work dates but of the options these two sound good.

Sturgis is a must do but can't make it fit the calendar this year. :(

As for Blue Ridge, great ride but I'm ready for something new.

my .02

·
Delinquent
1,780 Posts
HD-LUX said:
Funny, South Central PA (where my Mom grew up) is a little over an hour's blast up 15N. Almost easier to get to than Fairfax from where I am in Ashburn considering the NoVa traffic. Right around the corner!
I said south central, but it's a little to the east side of that. I'm right at the foot hills of the Poconos. 30 miles north of Allentown. The riding up there is going to be great!!!!! Just the ride to work will be some good S.

I'm working a job over at the Delaware Water Gap. Right in the middle of a friggin Nation Park. Do they make little whistles that will scare the bears off the side of the road. :yikes:

·
Forgetter of Things
2,657 Posts
vafatboy said:
I said south central
that would be eastern pa.

but it's a little to the east side of that.
...just a little 150 miles:D

we're goin' ta hafta get you a Pa. map before you go...:welcome: to Pa.

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
vafatboy said:
Right in the middle of a friggin Nation Park.
VAFLSTF, that sounds like heaven! What a way to go. We'll be up your way plenty. Find us some good rides and keep 'em in mind. Se ya in PA!! I'll bring a map and a tranquilizer gun.

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
I think the Blue Ridge Parkway is the most practical, although all suggestions are good.

The pluses of the BRP is (1) no crowds, (2) plenty of camping options or plenty of inexpensive motels along the route, and (3) once we're at the southern end there's lots of nice riding nearby, e.g., Cherohala Skyway.

Another option would be the Finger Lakes area of New York. http://www.interlakes.com/flp/flpld.html

Pluses here are (1) we could easily get up there in 1 day and 1&2 from above. The ride through PA is nice too.

regards,

wyo

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really like the ideas of Upstate NY. Here's the WindowsLive! Local map to Elmira, NY via PA:

http://local.live.com/?v=2&rtp=pos....ngton, dc~pos.42.090467_-76.798790_Elmira, NY

Total mileage: 304.6 mi

Not bad at all! We'd probably take the indirect route and come up 83 through York and Harrisburg (maybe tour the plant on the way) then grab 81 to 220 or sneak up 11 to 220 hitting the NY Finger Lakes reagion near Elmira. It's only 30 miles from there to Ithaca. Sweet. Maybe check out Watkins Glen too!

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
HD-LUX said:
I really like the ideas of Upstate NY.

Total mileage: 304.6 mi

Not bad at all! We'd probably take the indirect route and come up 83 through York and Harrisburg (maybe tour the plant on the way) then grab 81 to 220 or sneak up 11 to 220 hitting the NY Finger Lakes reagion near Elmira. It's only 30 miles from there to Ithaca. Sweet. Maybe check out Watkins Glen too!

The beauty here is this would be an easy Thursday - Sunday trip, a plus for those that can't get away for a week to ten days.

Also makes it easy for WV, MD, and PA VTFers to join in.

I'll bet we can arrange an eyeball with the NY VTF contingent as well.

Could be fun. :cheers: :banana: :banana: :banana:

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
wyodude said:
The beauty here is this would be an easy Thursday - Sunday trip, a plus for those that can't get away for a week to ten days.

Also makes it easy for WV, MD, and PA VTFers to join in.

I'll bet we can arrange an eyeball with the NY VTF contingent as well.

Could be fun. :cheers: :banana: :banana: :banana:
I like the time frame...having just started a new job...Fri - Sun, possibly Thurs...we could take a side trip to the dragon...but I wanna do the mountain too...I want it all...:thumbsup:

·
Vagrant
3,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The more I look this over the more I like it. But I waffle constantly. Anyway, here's some web links on The Finger Lakes riding:

Historic Sports Cars at The Glen, June 17 - 18th.
http://www.theglen.com/buy_tickets/list_of_events/

The Hawg Barn
http://www.thehawgbarn.com/

SR 21: "Sweeping turns along nothern section. Elevated and exceptional views of Canandaigua Lake in southern section with more turns and elevation changes."

SR13: "Chittenango to Cazenovia, 10 miles ...the best 10 miles in NY State..."

Also from: http://62west.net/bikers//roads.html#ny

·
FYJIGM
1,147 Posts
I like the Blue Ridge ride. With the work schedule, that sounds like one I can attend. Then again, the White Mtns is my neck of the woods and is very tempting. I might just have to make both work.

·
Yet another 43 Double D
626 Posts
let's lock in dates

I'm probably in for anything, lets lock in one (or two) sets of dates so I can start clearing my calendar!

Joe

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
joediver said:
I'm probably in for anything, lets lock in dates so I can start clearing my calendar.

Joe

Hi Joe,

Kinda depends.

If we do NY, I think we're talking late June or early July.

If we do the Blue Ridge, April or May would probably work.

Rallies have fixed dates.

regards,

wyo

1 - 20 of 25 Posts