V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just installed V&H Slip-ons on his 2005 XL 1200 Sportster. The local dealer said all he had to do was change the slow speed jet, is it possible to do this without removing the carb? Thanks in advance for your assistance.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Yes, just remove the float bowl. You might want to get some stainless M4 x 16 socket head cap screws (4) to replace the phillips head screws before you put it back on.
Did he get the Straightshots slip-ons?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Don't forget to shim the needle. I used 2 .018/.020 shims under the needle in my wifes 2005 1200C. Its easier to start (not as cold blooded) and the performance is great.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
So you merely replacethe needle and use some shims? Where do you buy shims? How do you know how to set it up with shims?

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
geoffreyt said:
So you merely replacethe needle and use some shims? Where do you buy shims? How do you know how to set it up with shims?
The shims are installed between the needle and the slide. These washers will raise the jet needle taper, richening the low RPM fuel mixture. The shims are small washers that I purchased from a local dealer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, we looked at it this afternoon and it looks pretty simple. Is shimming the needle necessary? I know I did mine ... (not a Harley though) Yes, he got the V&H Straight Shot Slip-ons ... Much better looking than SE slip-ons. The dealer even said they would sound better, and they do sound damn good!!!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts