V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an odd issue with my factory stereo that I can’t figure out.
First, the stereo will not power on when the ignition switch is turned to ignition like it should, or when the bike is running.
Once the bike is started, or switch in position, the stereo won’t power on. Not just in standby, but completely off. You have to flip the speaker rocker switch to the topmost position. All speakers off, and bam! Stereo powers on. Once its on, you can flip the rocker switch and turn the speakers on.
The second issue is the display is scrambled. You can JUST BARELY make out the volume level but it’s nearly impossible to read the display. Other than that, everything functions as it should. It works perfectly, other than the scrambled display, and not powering on unless the speaker switch is off.

I have the upgraded fairing speakers, and one of the soldered leads were pulled off of the small PCB when disconnecting the speaker leads. I resoldered it, and the speaker works fine, but that is the only issue I can think of that might have something to do with the speaker rocker switch affecting the unit powering on. Like I said, it functions perfectly otherwise.

Any idea on what could cause this? The scrambled display and power issue may be two separate issues. I plan to bend the pins of the display and check their connection between the head unit and display panel, but I’m stumped on the powering on issue.

Any help is much appriciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
I'd guess bad power supply where it can't get enough current to power up when it is also trying to push to the speakers. Speakers off would be less power draw and might be a small enough inrush to allow things to power up. I'd get it serviced from a third party, there is one place that specializes in repairing Harley radios but I don't remember the name.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Iron cross to fix the radio if that is the problem. Go back remove all the work you did put it back as it was then try it. Most often that fixes things quickly.

·
Registered
8,258 Posts
listen to smitty always flow. backwards from the most recent to oldest work when chasing electronics....
both sircuits feed off the auxiliary harness,,, from the ignition switch. it could be a high resistance,,, bad connection, etc all you need is volt ohms amp meter and a test light... there are some really functional tools available for diagnostics literally plug and play

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
tall terry
V-Twin Forum
V-Twin Harley Davidson forum. Discussion on V-Twin Harley Davidson motorcycles including Dyna, Electra Glide, Softail, Sportster, and more.
Full Forum Listing