V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 RoadKing - Fuel light comes on while riding. I fill up and it only takes 3.99 gals.

I started up and the gas gauge never moves off of empty and the low fuel light is still on. After about 7 miles the fuel gage goes to full but the low fuel light is still on.

Any ideas?

Reactions: Ingramite

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Well I believe it's only a 5 gallon tank so with the light coming on then that gives you one gallon warning Reserve, on my bike that's about 40 miles. The fuel sender in the tank controls the gauge and Light, and those senders are half crap anyway so I'd start there.

·
RoadHawk RFCmm
23 Posts
when you are filling up. make sure your pedcock is not set on reserve. this well block your fill bc it does not fill reserve area, which will account for about 1-1_2 gallons.

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
when you are filling up. make sure your pedcock is not set on reserve. this well block your fill bc it does not fill reserve area, which will account for about 1-1_2 gallons.
The reserve is the lower portion of the tank. It fills first, no matter what position the petcock is in. Take your petcock out one day and see how it works.

A fuel light means he doesn't have a petcock, since it is a fuel injected bike.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Something to consider....

At this point you have demonstrated that depending on the gage and warning light isn't a viable option. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. A Road King is very heavy to push.

A 3.9 gallon fill is pretty good. The fuel in your tank serves to help keep the fuel pump cool too.

I set my trip odometer to zero every time I tank up. Then you want a "hard and fast" mileage target for when you're going to fuel next. If I'm just putting around town it's 100 miles. If I'm actually trying to get down the highway, going somewhere it's 150 miles between fill ups. Can I go further? Uh, maybe.

When you keep track of your gas with the trip odometer it's only a hop, skip, and a jump before you connect the dots and track your miles per gallon.

A drop in your MPG should never be just ignored. You can explain it with reliable variables like higher cruising speed, head wind, low octane gas etc. But if your MPG continues to deteriorate then you might have an early warning of an impending problem.

Thinking about this kind of stuff is also a mental drill that helps to melt away the miles on a long trip.

OK, when your gage and light were new they weren't coke scale accurate anyway. I've always thought that they were sort of a gimmick.

On a trip I'm good for about 150 miles before I need to get off and stretch my legs, hydrate and use the restroom. That's the perfect time to tank up.

If I'm riding with a guy on a fuel injected bike I'll jap slap him if he doesn't fuel on the same interval I'm running. He might look down at his fuel gage and decide something crazy like we can stop in another 50 miles so he can fuel....errrrr.

What I'm trying to get across is the idea of riding by your heart and not your head. See, the gage and tank capacity are not linear anyway. A half a tank on your gage doesn't equate with a 2.5 gal. fill up.

I know some accountant that has an Excel spreadsheet is probably wall eyed after reading this....like I care.

·
Registered
2015 Custom Ultra stretched, 2003 Softail (Delkron Bullet)
60 Posts
Something to consider....

At this point you have demonstrated that depending on the gage and warning light isn't a viable option. I had to learn that lesson the hard way. A Road King is very heavy to push.

A 3.9 gallon fill is pretty good. The fuel in your tank serves to help keep the fuel pump cool too.

I set my trip odometer to zero every time I tank up. Then you want a "hard and fast" mileage target for when you're going to fuel next. If I'm just putting around town it's 100 miles. If I'm actually trying to get down the highway, going somewhere it's 150 miles between fill ups. Can I go further? Uh, maybe.

When you keep track of your gas with the trip odometer it's only a hop, skip, and a jump before you connect the dots and track your miles per gallon.

A drop in your MPG should never be just ignored. You can explain it with reliable variables like higher cruising speed, head wind, low octane gas etc. But if your MPG continues to deteriorate then you might have an early warning of an impending problem.

Thinking about this kind of stuff is also a mental drill that helps to melt away the miles on a long trip.

OK, when your gage and light were new they weren't coke scale accurate anyway. I've always thought that they were sort of a gimmick.

On a trip I'm good for about 150 miles before I need to get off and stretch my legs, hydrate and use the restroom. That's the perfect time to tank up.

If I'm riding with a guy on a fuel injected bike I'll jap slap him if he doesn't fuel on the same interval I'm running. He might look down at his fuel gage and decide something crazy like we can stop in another 50 miles so he can fuel....errrrr.

What I'm trying to get across is the idea of riding by your heart and not your head. See, the gage and tank capacity are not linear anyway. A half a tank on your gage doesn't equate with a 2.5 gal. fill up.

I know some accountant that has an Excel spreadsheet is probably wall eyed after reading this....like I care.
As one with an accounting degree I closed Excel halfway thru. Being a Texas stranded in Michigan, all I can say is God Bless Texas!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do not have a reserve

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Float in the tank has probably gotten heavy with age.

They are not cheap, about $250. So you might want to try bending the arm a little. Or learn to live with it.
I replace everything in the tank about 1.5 years ago.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update. The next time I rode, everything is working normal. No issues.

I have not fixed anything. Issues do not go away by themselves. Any ideas?

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,757 Posts
Update. The next time I rode, everything is working normal. No issues.

I have not fixed anything. Issues do not go away by themselves. Any ideas?
So how many gallons did it take this time?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You seemed to think that wasn't enough at the beginning of this thread.
no, my apology. This is about my low fuel light coming on when there is still enough gas to not trip it to come on. Then staying on after the tank is full.

·
Make me use my bullet?
13,757 Posts
no, my apology. This is about my low fuel light coming on when there is still enough gas to not trip it to come on. Then staying on after the tank is full.
I think it is common for an EFI bike to give the "out of gas" alert when there is still about a gallon of tank capacity left. My '97 RK has a gauge on the 5 gallon tank. I have run it down to empty several times and I don't recall ever getting more than about 4.2 gallons in when I filled it up. My 2011 Limited has a gauge and a digital "DTE" readout with a 6 gallon tank. I have run it until the gauge showed empty and the DTE went past telling me I had any miles until empty. I think the most gas I've ever gotten in the tank was around 5.2 gallons.

I hear the same story from other folks. I don't know how much volume the "stuff" in the tank takes up or how generous the gauges, computers, low fuel lights, etc. may be but if I was getting near 4 gallons of gas per fill up into a 5 gallon EFI tank, I would consider that to be "normal operation". You can always experiment to see how much gas is actually left in the tank when the fuel light comes on, but it sounds like the low fuel light is coming on at the correct time.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Damn, gotta get me one of those fuel gauge things. Flush the tank, replace the sending unit man, if you treat it like an aircraft you wouldn't stop there you'd replace the pump as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts