V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for suggestions on replacing the stock shocks on my lowrider. To me they seem very hard riding on anything but smooth surfaces. I'm looking for something that can actually smooth out the bumps. Keep in mind, i;m not conceerned with wobble in the corners. etc. It;s just a cruser. PLUSH, IS THE ANSWER.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm very happy with my 11 1/2 418 progressives on my DL. A little pricey but a sweeeet ride. The stock shocks pretty much suck in the performance dept.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for getting back to me.. Could you tell me what made you decide on the 418's? Did you look at the 412 and 440's? Are they easy to adjust for preload? Do you need a tool or can you turn them by hand?

Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
42 Posts
pasqout, The 412's are decent but not all that much better than stock IMO. You can't beat the ride of the 440's on the heavier bagger bikes but on the lighter Dynas I like the response and feel of the 418's better. If your 2 up and baggage alot you may prefer the 440's . Both are great shocks. This is just my personal preference for my riding style. There is a cam wrench for preload adjustment which I never change and a small key chain allen for rebound adjustment. Just a warning when you do the r. suspension you"ll wanna upgrade the front. Racetech springs orderd to your weight and if you got da $$ the racetech cartridge emulators will really dial your ride in. You will have a night and day difference compared to the stock ride. :yes:
If money is an issue increasing front fork oil viscosity will also help bring it up to par with the rear shock upgrade.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
mtnkarter said:
pasqout, The 412's are decent but not all that much better than stock IMO. You can't beat the ride of the 440's on the heavier bagger bikes but on the lighter Dynas I like the response and feel of the 418's better. If your 2 up and baggage alot you may prefer the 440's . Both are great shocks. This is just my personal preference for my riding style. There is a cam wrench for preload adjustment which I never change and a small key chain allen for rebound adjustment. Just a warning when you do the r. suspension you"ll wanna upgrade the front. Racetech springs orderd to your weight and if you got da $$ the racetech cartridge emulators will really dial your ride in. You will have a night and day difference compared to the stock ride. :yes:
If money is an issue increasing front fork oil viscosity will also help bring it up to par with the rear shock upgrade.
I pretty much agree with everything here. I also put 418's on my 05 FXDL last year and the difference was HUGE! I ended up with progressive rate springs in the front with Harley SE fluid - also a big improvement, but I am going to try Bel-ray as I hear it is a more stable fluid.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts