V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a set of TC 05 heads off ebay cheap that look great with low miles. I was looking at buying a set of SE performance springs good to .650 lift off ebay when I noticed it said for 99-04 TC. The question is does 05 TC heads take a different part number spring packs than the 99-04 heads?? I know there is a different valve angle and they used lighter valves starting 05.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
The only sources of V.S. for the late models (without changing guides and using all old gear) are the SE valvesprings good to .575 and 7k rpm or the Vthunder Beehives, specs unknown. Would like to find others if anybody knows of alternatives.

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
I believe SE make 2 types of valve springs for the later style heads.

The SE springs listed for .575" and 7K rpms are beehive springs and are called "performance" springs, 18013-03

They also have a straight coil spring, similar to the stock 99-04 springs, that are designed for the 7mm valve stem and guides. The kit comes with Springs, retainers, collars and special valve seals. I am unsure of the coil bind on this set. This is the "Race" kit. 18344-05

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I think I would be inclined to buy the upper, lower collars, keepers and seals and use more sensable springs as the spring pressure on these is excessive and just would enhance noise and eat power. That is if I could match the ID OD and height specs. PSI has a good assortment of high quality springs that are not priced for the HD market, more geared toward the circle track crowd and they work well.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks for the PM Springer. I am glad I found these heads.....I have a feeling I am going to need them.

Springer:actually learned a bit watching your web cam tonight while you worked those heads. Just one question though.....do you always wear those lace thongs while you work:yikes:

·
Premium Member
1,261 Posts
Springer:actually learned a bit watching your web cam tonight while you worked those heads. Just one question though.....do you always wear those lace thongs while you work

:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
Registered
168 Posts
When I built my 05 I used the beehive springs from Revolution performnce. They offer 2 different sets. I used the ones rated to .600 lift, worked great!

·
Administrator
11,287 Posts
I always wear the thong, keeps me from breathing in sanding dust and it smells nice also. :D

BTW, the 18344-05 springs are good to .650" lift.

·
Registered
9,232 Posts
springer- said:
I always wear the thong, keeps me from breathing in sanding dust and it smells nice also. :D

BTW, the 18344-05 springs are good to .650" lift.
:roflback: :roflback: :roflback: :roflback:

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
baggersport said:
Did you see the lip at the intake seat on the HTCC heads Dave? It is twice the size (the protrusion) of a stock head.
Yes....I am glad you brought the cam in close for that. You were using a black block that you would run the stone/grinder attachment across....is that cleaning medium to clear the stone/bur?

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

After some good advice on where to go to get a spring pack for the 2005 heads I went to Revolution Performance's website and bought a set of .600 lift beehive springs for $89......they said the springs were made by CompCams....never heard of them. .600 lift springs should work with a HQ 0039 cam with a .580 lift.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Yes they will work provided the height is set up properly and the retainers are checked to see they don't hit the guides with the seal height added.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I would assume you are changing to 5/16 stem valves and not using the 7mm. These springs do not specify they will work with the 7mm, they are 5/16 (04 and earlier) and the seals same issue. But what the heck do I know, because if it were me I would have ordered the SE part.

·
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
nw_guy4_fun said:
I would assume you are changing to 5/16 stem valves and not using the 7mm. These springs do not specify they will work with the 7mm, they are 5/16 (04 and earlier) and the seals same issue. But what the heck do I know, because if it were me I would have ordered the SE part.
I am using the stock valves just installing new springs and the new orange valve seals. No valve work to be done. When I called and spoke with the guys at Revolution performance they said indeed these springs are for very specifically the 05 and up TC heads. Of course if the guides as well as the rest of the valve assembly parts need replacing then I will. I am hoping that just changing them to a .600 spring will be fairly straight forward process. Time will tell.

Going to have the heads just cleaned up with some short side work as well as around the valve seats and guides. Maybe have the combustion chamber just tweaked slightly with the general head roughness taken out of them overall. I have been reading how the 05 heads flow very well when just cleaned up and keeping the orginal valves to keep the velocity up. Trying my best to keep this whole new Ultra build as simple and as bullet proof as possible.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Sounds like a sound plan. No guide changes will be needed you did the homework good job. They just don't show any data on the website.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts