V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked around the bike for things that could make a metallic rattle and found a couple suspects. Passenger peg touching pipe when all folded up, hiway peg loose(tighten and it has already come loose). It has t he e sound of a heat shield vibration. Only does it under load, nothing at idle. I could use some pointers for places to look. Thanks.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I had one that drove me nuts. Turned out to be the chrome belt cover vibrating against the frame. Best way to find those rattles is to lay on the ground beside the bike and use a rubber mallet. Start out on the frame firmly. But ease up when tapping on tins and other light weight goodies. You can even wrap a towel around the rubber mallet for those delicate parts. Better than the pad of your fist.

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had one that drove me nuts. Turned out to be the chrome belt cover vibrating against the frame. Best way to find those rattles is to lay on the ground beside the bike and use a rubber mallet. Start out on the frame firmly. But ease up when tapping on tins and other light weight goodies. You can even wrap a towel around the rubber mallet for those delicate parts. Better than the pad of your fist.
I’ll give that a whack. Ha!

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Also I have never owned a rig that was so damn hard to check and fill the tires.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Also I have never owned a rig that was so damn hard to check and fill the tires.
They can be a pita. Having the right fill nipple is pretty much critical. As is the right angle air gauge. I have three that I switch back and forth depending on where the fill valve is. One is a short nipple on a flexible hose so I can get my fingertips in there to hold it. But, yeah rolling around on the ground just to get to an air valve sucks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I had a squeak on my FLHTC that turned out to be the rubber isolator block above the rear of the muffler brackets. It dried out and sounded like a loose heatshield. Drove me nuts. I just couldn't believe the rubber would make that sound, until I used graphite on the rubber. Problem solved.

·
Registered
1991 FLHTP
221 Posts
Same thing I experienced on my 1991 FLHTP. Had to remove my right hard bag to spray the rubber with silicone.

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had a squeak on my FLHTC that turned out to be the rubber isolator block above the rear of the muffler brackets. It dried out and sounded like a loose heatshield. Drove me nuts. I just couldn't believe the rubber would make that sound, until I used graphite on the rubber. Problem solved.
I’ll give that a shot. Still haven’t found anything that I can pin point as a culprit. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,777 Posts
Those muffler isolators can be noisy when worn but usually will squeak like hell at idle. If those aren't the culprit check header studs. Only doing it under a load, could be a small exhaust leak.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have looked around the bike for things that could make a metallic rattle and found a couple suspects. Passenger peg touching pipe when all folded up, hiway peg loose(tighten and it has already come loose). It has t he e sound of a heat shield vibration. Only does it under load, nothing at idle. I could use some pointers for places to look. Thanks.
Good Luck, trust me little rattles.. motor noises, can drive anyone crazy. I've even worked on guys bikes that the "ride bell" was the problem. Sometime ear plugs or different helmets changing wind will help near your hunting grounds.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a rattle that was driving me nuts. Turned out to be a bad baffle in the muffler that "rattled" at a certain rpm. Easy check is to "thump" each muffler with the bottom of your fist. If the baffle is loose, you'll hear it. Easy fix! Good luck!

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good Luck, trust me little rattles.. motor noises, can drive anyone crazy. I've even worked on guys bikes that the "ride bell" was the problem. Sometime ear plugs or different helmets changing wind will help near your hunting grounds.
Definitely, I had a Triumph Thruxton that kept finding new ways to annoy me. I took the bells to eliminate that possibility. I’m going to spend sometime this weekend going over stuff (I hope, Mother’s Day). It doesn’t sound like anything nefarious, it’s just annoying.

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Left work early and started going over it more thorough. I found both nuts on front head pipe loose and the rear head pipe heat shield might have broken spot weld at the clamp closest to flange. If it dries out some more this afternoon I’ll take for a ride before trying to snake that heat shield out.

·
Registered
2005 FLHT
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took it for a ride and.......... no more rattle. It did stall out at a light once it was warmed up though. Once I got to other side of intersection I pulled over and tweaked idle a bit. Seemed fine after that. Went and filed it up and cruised around for bit. I’m considering taking it in for a once over by my local shop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts