V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking ahead to completing stage one. Id like a set of pipes that say SPORT, not supersled. It seems that all the makers want to offer the long pipe like comes stock. I want something "cool". Vance and Hines is about to offer http://www.vanceandhines.com/images/pop_ups/sp_shortshots_st.jpg the Shortshots Staggered which are in the ball park. Of course I email them and ask if they are too loud for the street and they ignore me. But I also asked which jetting set they want to sell me and is there an air cleaner assembly they like with the set up. No respomnse. My question here is, are there any other makers with similar pipes. I have looked extensivwely on the net and there does not seem to be too many.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Stage 1

I just bought an 05 883 Custom Sportster for my first bike. I am new here and was wondering what exactly do people mean when they refer to "stage 1".

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is my best explaination. The underlaying premise is the factory sets up the bikes to meet emission regulations. They run real lean and squeeky. When you buy the bike and take it home you can squeeze out some performance by spending money on new stuff for your bike. Stage one would be the replacement of the air intake to a less restrictive assembly. Then you rejet the carb to add more gas to all the air you let in and to get it all out ASAP you buy a set of less restrictive exhaust pipes (which sound cool). You have to be mindful of the warranty on a new bike. You could void parts of the warranty if you are not careful.

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
THere is a stage 2 and 3 but Im not up on them just yet. They build on the prior stage and all point to mo bettah performance.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Santee makes a set about like those. They will be loud unless you put the quiet baffle in. Any air cleaner will work. It is just what you like. I like the s&s tear drop myself. Some are better then others, but not much. Choose what you think looks good. On the jets I would start out with a 45 slow and shim the needle .02 to.03. Leave the main alone. 2 1/2 turns out on the idle mixture. Fine tune from there. Do not buy the jet kits. Big waste of money. A new slow jet at the dealer will only be about $5.00. There is no pipe you can put on your bike that will be "legal".

·
Registered
20 Posts
Appreciate it

Thanks guys, this helps a lot, particularly the break down of stages. Anybody know what the "FNG" stands for that is under my User name.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ofnaman1995 said:
Thanks guys, this helps a lot, particularly the break down of stages. Anybody know what the "FNG" stands for that is under my User name.

The ng is new guy, guess what the f stands for?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saw a picture in a bike mag that had more of a dirtbike exhaust, still two pipes but from the middle they angle up toward the tail and are fairly short. I'm sorry, I wish I could remember the name of the company, but I've never seen exhaust look sportier than that on a Sportster. It's the exhaust I would get, if I already had the Sportster I plan to buy :)

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
geoffreyt said:
Would you please explain "shim". How do you know how much is enough?
Shim is a tiny washer that you put the needle through. Needle is tapered, fatter at base. So the washer is at the base and raises the needle up.

If you looking in HD screaming eagle sectin they should have an explanation of each stage. Stage I for the mst part is pipes, air cleaner and jetting.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a set of V&H straightshots on my sportster and am pretty satisfied with them. I like the ones in your picture, but I'm not sure I could stand the noise. V&H are pretty loud with their standard baffle, and dumping right behind your head like that would be a bit hard on you, especially at prolonged highway speeds.
I never had any luck with two emails I sent to V&H tech support; they never did respond, which p'd me off, but I did get to speak to someone when I called with a question on the quiet baffles I eventually purchased. I've heard they stand behind their products pretty well if you decide on them.

g'luck!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yeah, I believe that was the one I saw... good to see you knew what I was talking about from my lack of any company names whatsoever, hah. Definately the best looking Sportster exhaust I've seen

·
Banned
5,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
cruuzn said:
Yeah, I believe that was the one I saw... good to see you knew what I was talking about from my lack of any company names whatsoever, hah. Definately the best looking Sportster exhaust I've seen
I think they run about $850. Im not ready to bust for that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts