V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
doof member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang!

I can't take these beach bars anymore. I want to replace them before riding season starts up again. I definitely want something that goes out more versus towards the rider like the beach bars. I'm not much of a wrench so I'll probably let the stealer do it. Any HD bars recommended? Aftermarket brands/models?

Thanks in advance for your help. Please provide pics if possible.

In the wind...budking

·
Have chrome will travel
506 Posts
Short of oil, waving, and seats you got the most subjective topic here. It's all about what you feel comfortable with and like the look of. I run the Heritage bars on my Road King standard. A lot of people like them as do I. I'm all about comfort on long rides though. The hand height and straight wrist were what I was looking for. What works for me might not be your cup of tea. Your going to have to go sit on a bunch of bikes and figure out what your looking for.

·
your ad could be here
380 Posts
The best advice I have for you.....

....is to compare the Road King high bars (look nice, chrome) to the bars on the Wild 1 website and pick what you like.

I have Wild 1 518s and love'em.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Buying a set of handlebars is just like buying a pair of pants. You have to know your waist, inseam, rise, cuff/no-cuff, and break to get the kind of fit you want in trousers.

Handlebars have a few standard measurements. First measure what you have so you can determine what you want.

Diameter
Spacing at the mount
Spacing of the knurled areas (under mount)
Rise
Pull-Back
Width tip-to-tip

You can go to the Flanders website for an explanation of the measurements.

What you describe sounds like you want less pull-back.

Once you have the measurements, you can look at the Harley accessories catalog and see what bars have less pull back and will fit your bike. You can also check out the models at Flanders or any other website.

I got a set of bars off the rack at a Harley dealer. I had a tape measue to narrow the selection and then took what I thought might fit out to my bike and held it in place. Eventually I found what I wanted.

One other thing to remember is you can make a small adjustment by tilting the bars up or down. Too high may flex your wrists too much; too low may cause the bars to hit the tank.

·
Registered
9,150 Posts
I've got an '05 RK Custom and have mixed emotions about the beach bars. On the one hand, I like the low slung look they give the bike with the lowered rear end... very retro... very bad. On the other hand, I have had some neck/shoulder pains while riding.

I was checking out a guy's Custom at a hang out and liked the 1.5" Carlini 13" apes he had put on. They felt good, but who knows until you ride a 100 miles with them. I can't remember if he had to lose the wind deflector.

Ultimately I decided to keep the beach bars, the pain went away, and the wind deflector is stayin' one way or the other.

If you are shopping around... make sure to check these bars out.

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
These are 16" apes. Still got the wind deflector. I'm 6'1" so they really feel comfy to me....

·
Registered
49 Posts
I had 518s on my Road King Custom and swapped them out for the 16" apes. I'll never go back. I took two 3,000 mile trips with them last year and they were the most comfortable bars I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Bars are definitely not something you can pick for someone else. A tiny difference in seat height, riser height or angle of the bars can make a HUGE difference in comfort.

I have an 04 Custom.

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/47853108

I have run the stock RK Custom bars on my last two bikes & I think they are the most comfortable bars I have ever run(I've been riding since 1970). I do run them on 4" high risers however to raise them up some, they where not really comfortable for me at the stock height & that makes a world of difference.

RK Custom bars are almost identical to Wild1 508's by the way.

~John

·
2005 Road King Classic
2,649 Posts
BUDKING said:
Hey gang!

I can't take these beach bars anymore. I want to replace them before riding season starts up again. I definitely want something that goes out more versus towards the rider like the beach bars. I'm not much of a wrench so I'll probably let the stealer do it. Any HD bars recommended? Aftermarket brands/models?

Thanks in advance for your help. Please provide pics if possible.

In the wind...budking
Decided on some handlebars (took 6 months). The stock ones were just killing my back so after making a test set out of 3/4 PVC pipe and elbows I went with the 56079-93 Dyna Wide Glide bars. Went for a ride on Sunday (30 degrees) and let me tell you what a difference. 3" more rise and 2.5" less pull back. Arms are not straight out anymore and the wrists are straight so no pain in back OR wrists when pulling the clutch or brake. I'm 6' tall, 200# and wear a 34-35" long sleeve shirt.

·
Seasoned Prime Member
446 Posts
:clap: I put Chubby's 503 Knuckle bars on my Road King at the end of last summer. I put the wiring inside the bars and chromed everything else and I'll tell you they are way more comfortable for me. My arms are straighter and my wrists aren't bent and I can ride forever w/o getting any back pain. I'm 6' 4" 236. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
714 Posts
jmorton10 said:
Bars are definitely not something you can pick for someone else. A tiny difference in seat height, riser height or angle of the bars can make a HUGE difference in comfort.

Jmorton...you are killing me. I'm soooo ready for a new bike it's killing me. Your bike is gorgeous. Tell me:

-Are the lower fairings easily removable and how do they affect heat to your feet and the motor?

-Is that a Dragonfly fairing? Is it quick release and did you equip it with a stereo?

VERY nice motorcycle you got there!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I litrerally just put Wild One 508's on my RK Classic. They are similar to the RK Custom stock bars, but slightly different. Angle of pullback seems a bit wider. So far I like them alot. I also put on a Corbin solo seat and they pair up well. Your size is the deciding factor where height and reach play the critical part. As someone else suggested go to Wild One website and compare and contrast. Good Luck. Here is the link;
http://www.wild1inc.com/roadkingsonbike.html

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
-Are the lower fairings easily removable and how do they affect heat to your feet and the motor?

They are simple to remove, it takes about two minutes. I have the 05 Ultra vented fairings, so they are much cooler with the vents open than the older models.

-Is that a Dragonfly fairing? Is it quick release and did you equip it with a stereo?

Yes, it is a Dragonfly & I love it. It removes easily, but I like it so much I rarely remove it.

I installed a killer stereo(four 6.5" Sony speakers run from a 150 watt rms x 2 Alpine AMP)

~John

·
Registered
1,464 Posts

·
doof member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the feedback folks! I'm going to go check out several of these and see what fits me the best. So far, I'm liking the reduced reach bars.

Thanks again!:beer4u:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
jmorton10 said:

I have an 04 Custom.

http://www.pbase.com/jmorton10/image/47853108

I have run the stock RK Custom bars on my last two bikes & I think they are the most comfortable bars I have ever run(I've been riding since 1970). I do run them on 4" high risers however to raise them up some, they where not really comfortable for me at the stock height & that makes a world of difference.

RK Custom bars are almost identical to Wild1 508's by the way.

~John
I agree.
No one else can tell you what you will be comfortable with. I had the Chubby 518's on my RK Custom and thought they were awesome. Was considering apes, but sold the bike before getting them installed.
Good luck on whatever you decide.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
One question I'd ask is how tall are you and how long are your arms. I'm 6' and have gorilla arms (35/36 shirt sleeves). I tried the Wild 1 518 bars and the bars came back too far plus I didn't like the hand position.

I installed the Wild 1 504 bars which are very much like Fatboy bars but a bit wider with a couple more inches of pullback. I think they have 3" of pull back over stock instead of 7" like the 518's. To top it off, they look awesome on the bike.

A lot of Road King riders install Heritage Softail bars and find them to be very comfortable.

Figure out where you think your hands will be comfortable and measure how much further back, forward, up, down, in, out they are from stock bars. The stock bars are (00-up FLHR):
31.5"Wide, 12.5" Centered, 6.25" High, 9" Pullback

·
doof member
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think I'm going with the reduced reach bars. Unfortunately, now I have to get the Dragonfly fairing as well thanks to Morton! That is awesome. I've been looking for a fairing that will fit the custom.

Mort, would the reduced reach bars fit with the fairing? How hard was it to wire in your stereo? How did you hook up the tach? I have an XM radio. Can I use it with the stereo? I'm assuming I'm better off getting a stereo and speakers myself and installing them. Are the lower fairings Dragonfly too? How much? I'm assuming no highway pegs when using the lower fairings? What other parts did you have to buy?

:wootdnc:

Budking

1 - 20 of 30 Posts