V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's my story. Brother-in-law sold me this bike. I only have my permit and am not a Motorhead by any stretch.

A few weeks after I bought it the check engine light went on, and off, and on (etc).

Then, I dumped it. It wasnt turning over (just clicking) for 10 minutes. Then magically it started (with a lot of backfire)

Check engine light still on and off.

Then, one night I couldn't start it. Same thing. More clicks. One click for each press of the button. 10 minutes later it worked.

Now, nothing. Absolutely will not start. It has gas. It has a new, freshly charged battery. Lights go on when ignition is on. What should I check next?

Bill

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'm no mechanic either but the clicking sound generally comes from a low or nearly dead battery. Since you said the battery is good, I'd be checking for loose or dirty connections at the other end of the battery cables. A bad ground connection will react like a dead battery. I'd also have the battery checked to be sure it's putting out the right amps. Check the connections at the starter while you're at it. It really sounds to me like a bad connection somewhere.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Do you think a bad ground or connection would be giving me the check engine light too?
I don't have the knowledge or experience to even guess at that part but if I had to make a guess, I wouldn't rule it out. The computer that turns on that light monitors every system of your engine, so why couldn't they be connected?

Maybe someone with actual mechanic skills will throw some info into this pot. (Hopefully)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts