V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Gang, Just wanted to say hello, I'm new to the forum and I have just graduated from my 1987 sportster to a 2003 Wide Glide (due in in september), Took me some time to save the money, but I figured now was the time to do it with the 100th Anniversary model.

Also, had a question does anyone have any Experience with PYTHON 3 pipes on a Dyna Wide Glide.

Gator

·
Registered
30 Posts
'03 FXDWG

I got an '03 Wide Glide in early Aug. I went to Sturgis to talk to Reps about pipes and found out that Python is coming out with a set just like V&H staggerd Big Shots with the power chamber in Sept. V&H make the pipes for Drag's Python name. so the quality will be there and the price is only 399.00. the only difference is the end of the pipe. But BEWARE!!! I didn't want to wait till mid sept. so I got the V&H old style Big Shots and they did not fit because of the new rear brake set up on the '03 . I had to go with the V&H Straight Shots and I'm very pleased with them. My other choice was the Pro pipe. I would make sure the Python III will fit before making the purchase. GOOD LUCK!!!

·
Registered
695 Posts
yaga,
When did you order your wide glide? Like gator13, I also am waiting for my 03 wide glide but can't the dealer to tell me when I'll get it.
I'm just trying to get an idea when I could expect my bike based on your order date.
Anyway welcome to the forum, glad you decided to join in. Have you taken any pictures of your bike yet?

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Cox9000,

I can chime in on this as well...I am also waiting on an 03 wideglide...pearl white. My dealer (who has been a personal friend for years) has told me that I will have an October bike and that he will have a ship date for me the first week of September. I will let you know when I find out. He is very confident that he will have the bike in October and should be able to give me a pretty accurate arrival date after next week.

Don

·
Registered
14 Posts
have good experience with the python3s (not on 03 bikes though)

have you considered thunderheaders?

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I like the sound of the Pythons and a buddy of mine has gotten great results on his low rider. I have never tried Thunderheaders, and I don't know anyone that has them. Hey it's worth a shot, it's still gonna sound alot better than the stock pipes, worse comes to worse...i dont' like the pythons, i'll give the thunderheaders a shot. I'm looking forward to picking it up still pushing for the first or second week in september

gator13

·
Registered
695 Posts
bigdog0099,
When did you order your bike in order to get a real good feel that it'll come in October?
I ordered mine on 3 June, so based on your situation when do you think I'll get mine?
Damn it's hard not thinking about it -- if it weren't for this forum I'd have gone bonkers by now, HA!

·
Registered
30 Posts
cox9000,
I was going to buy my buddy's '01 FXDWG then we went for a ride to Ottawa,IL and stopped in at the new Starved Rock H-D there on Sat morning 7/21 . They had just put the bike out on Fri. night . When we walk in I saw that it didn't have a sold sign on it so I talk to a salesman and asked if the bike was available and if so what price. He said it was available and the price was MSRP. I couldn't pass it up so I wrote a deposit check and picked the bike up on Wed. 7/24.

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yaga, you're a lucky sucker! "BUT", I'm happy for ya! Way to go dude.
Have you done anything thing extra to your bike yet -- any pictures?
Later, and thanks for the reply.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I put some Progressive 412 series shock on size is 12" , they dropped the rearend about 1". Rejetted the carb and put the V&H straight Shots on. Also new pegs and some other chrome stuff from H-D.
I'm not really good with computers so I don't know how to put pctures on this site. I do have a bunch on the hard drive from my camera.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Cox9000,

I ordered mine sometime in June also...

This is where it gets kind of funky but how I understand it is....He requested an October delivery on the bike. I was adamant about having a pearl white one and he told me that he would only be able to "special order" one bike in the white color...and I would get it. He says he gets his bikes in "monthly allotments" and requested the special order in October.

I bug him almost daily and he checks his "HDNEt" site to see if the ship dates are posted yet. He called me in early August and told me he had the dates for the september bikes and that they had one wglide coming in and it was gunmetal...He then told me that this is normal and he would see the October ship dates in early september......He is figuring based on past experience that the bike will be here around the 18-20 of October. I am hoping to ride it to the 100th party in Dallas and he said the odds are pretty good that he can make that happen (assuming HD does not screw something up).

Sooooo...I guess from all this I am getting that it matters if the bike was "special ordered" with a requested month for delivery, what color the bike is and how your dealer ordered it. I would press your dealer to check the "HDnet" for ship dates and ask him if he "requested" a particular month for delivery. If not then you will probobly get one (depending on color chosen) whenever they get around to sending that dealer his allotment with that particular color in it (whatever month this happens to be between October and early 2003). What color did you order?? I know that the red/white/blue ones will be scarce and unless he requested a date for you...it could be late this year or early next year before you see it......He may have been alloted a "whatever color you ordered" one and did not request a particular month for delivery. If this is the case then you will get it when it comes in at HD's discression. I would work on your dealer to see if he can narrow it down for you.....I feel your pain brutha.....I at least have an idea when mine is "supposed" to be here....If it was open ended as yours is......I would really be a pain in the a$$ to deal with.....

Don

·
Registered
695 Posts
bigdog0099,
Sure appreciate the great feedback. Nobody has ever told me about this HDNET thing you described.
I couldn’t help but laugh when you said, “I bug him daily”. HA! I know exactly what you mean and I can relate. I try my best to not think about the bike and not bug anybody about it “but” ………….I just couldn’t HA!
A buddy of mine has a Pearl White bike, it looks sharp. The color I chose is Vivid Black. Quite a contrast between to colors we chose, eah? HA! Maybe this is what they were talking about, “black is beautiful” – they must have been talking about a Black Harley, you think? HA!
Hey Bud; I’d like to thank you again for the good scoop. I will be back down there asking questions.
Later.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi y'all. I am brand new to motorcycles and this forum. I ordered a silver/black 2003 DWG in the middle of June and picked it up August 30th. I am now trying to figure out why I didn't buy a HD 30 years ago but it is never too late. What a blast.

I had the V&H Propipe H/S put on the bike and, for my little bit of knowlegdge, it looks and sounds great. I sent a picture with this email....if it works.

·
Registered
695 Posts
rickdwg,
You ordered you bike in the middle of June and got in on 30 Aug ? Damn !
I should have gone to your stealer -- who is it? Real happy for ya ! How's she ride and how does she purr?
My freakin stealer can't tell me squat -- sure wish I would've ordered through another place back on 3 June.
That HDNET that bigdog0099 was telling me about sounded like the right question to ask my stealer but everytime I go down there they say "the guy who loads all this info into our database is gone for a week" -- so I say, "why is it everytime I drop by this guy is always gone for a week some where?"
Blackwhisper told me about a wide glide available down in SC but after I called them, they wanted much more than MSRP -- so I said forget it.
Maybe next month I'll get mine.
But let me say by ending that your bike looks good and I bet you're feelin' real good -- congrats dude!

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Cox9000,

Just got word that my "ship date" is Oct. 25th....I had hoped it would be a little earlier than that but I think the "silver paint" issue delayed it a little.

Anyway...at least I have a target to shoot for now. If it ships on the 25th then I should have it the first week of Nov......We will see....I will keep you posted as I hear any updates.

Don

·
Registered
10 Posts
cox9000,

Ordered mine through HD of Washington, Ft Washington, MD and they couldn't have been nicer. Was first to put my name on the list for my bike and got it two months later. They ordered the bikes instead of the customer having to order the bike from HD so they had a big inventory of bikes scheduled for delivery. In fact, I was there last Saturday and they had a 03 Screamin' Eagle Duece for sale.

Bike is great but since it is my first bike anything would probably be ok. Hard to keep the bug stains off of my teeth because of the constant grin riding it.

Holler if you have any questions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had Python III's on my 1999 FXDWG. They barked too much for me and popped on deceleration. I have SE I slip ons on my 2000 and they sound much better in my opinion. Both perform about the same and both mellow out nice on the highway.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts