V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
I though I 'd post this here to get comments from both sides of the "HD pond" so to speak.
I might have the opportunity to swap my Anniversary black Ultra for an Anniversary Silver/Black Heritage Springer.
Same sort of mileage, excellent conditions on both bikes, with a bit more add-ons on the Springer.
I always use my bike solo, mainly for short hops but sometimes for weekend runs (4/500 miles in a couple of days on motorways and twisties).
I like to cruise around the 90 miles per hour mark on the motorway and if possible I'll "get going" a bit in the twisties.
Now, I know that the Heritage has less clearance than the Ultra and will be scraping earlier but that does not bother me too much.
The issues that concern me are stability at speed on the Mway and braking capability which would obviously be affected by the front fork/braking system set up of the Springer.
I have tested the bike in town and found it fun to ride and the braking seemed to be adequate for around town speeds but I have not had a chance to ride it on a proper road or on the Mway which I am hoping to do later this month.
I like the ability of the Ultra to carry a lot of stuff but that could be solved by adding a Tour-pak to the Springer and valuewise the two bikes should not be miles off.
Do you guys have any suggestion or head-ups on the above?
Any comment will be very much appreciated.
Thanks

·
Another Old Fart
241 Posts
94c4 in my honest opinion the ultra is the better bet. I had a 1999 Heritage Springer, don't get me wrong I loved the bike but I am more satisfied with my 05 Ultra. The Springer looks great and classie but I got beat up by the wind even with the removeable wind shield installed. When I had to brake hard the front end would pull a little. I have to admit that the springer was a little more comfortable in the seat and I never got hip cramps on it. The bike rode differently than the ultra but that is the charicteristic of the bike. I bought it new and had 3700 miles on it when I sold it but I am still very glad I bought the Ultra. Hope I helped a little............ Mike.............

·
What did I do now?
965 Posts
One more vote for the bagger. I swapped from a 2003 Heritage Softail to a 2005 Ultra and never looked back. I'd like to have both. The Heritage was good for a 1 hour or less of a ride at speeds less than 70mph. The Heritage had GREAT coolness, but vibrated because of the rigid mounted engine (tolerable, but still there, and gets on your nerves after a 100 or so miles). The ultra has no vibes and is comfortable at 85+ mph. The cruise control, full fairing and lowers (in colder weather and rain) are a welcome feature.

·
EASY DOES IT
8,914 Posts
MHO: an Ultra is really nice...a Heritage is really classy...

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Don't know why I answer these threads. Didn't read everrything, just basing my answer on models.

Heritage is good bike, got bags, good for running around. Good bike if you use another vehicle. If you only ride one vehicle, other then winter, ultra is the best bike. If you want day to day runner, ultra can carry everything. Joy ride and road trip, Heritage is all right.

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
It all depends what you want. The ultra is best at two up and layin' down the miles. I have an 03 Heritage Springer and would not trade it for anything. I think the HS's are the coolest looking bikes HD has ever made. I pick cool over comfort.~!Awesome! If I didn't like the wind I would drive the cage.:thumbsdn:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts