V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After riding for about 30 years owning the following, 750/4 Honda, V-65 Honda Sabre, 1983 Gold Wing, 94 Sportster, 98 FXDWG, 2k RKC, I now have what I've waited all these years for; 2003 Black Ultra Classic.
It has to be the best scoot I've planted the old butt on. I did ride a new model Wing and it seemed too much like a boat. Just did 750 miles through the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee, including Deal's Gap, and this thing is as nimble as anything I've ever ridden. Doesn't handle like a touring bike.:D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure did!!!!!!!! Took a friend of mine that just got him a 2000 RK and a guy from Detroit. They had a blast. We spent 3 days riding the back roads and one day on the Blue Ridge.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Oldhippie,

I live in "amongst them there hills" that you just mention, plus a lot more. Just think, I get to ride them everyday . How about that. :D

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's really not fair. You have the best place in the world to ride, but I have the second. I live about 60 miles west of Chattanooga at the foot of the Cumberland Mtns. Now, I'll agree. it's not the Piedmonts, but it's close.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Oldhippie, I know what you mean about the new bike. I picked up my new ultra on 9-4-02 and it is the sweetest bike I've ever ridden. I've got a little over 3500 miles on it so far. Me and my wife took it to Myrtle beach a few weeks ago and it was a sweet ride. I live about 50 miles from Skyline drive in VA., I hope to get up there on it before it gets too cold to ride.

Enjoy the new bike......here's a pic of mine

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
oldhippie, you just wate till I get mine:)

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey DonB: The guys are looking at making the NC ride an annual event. Looking at staying in Ashville next year and doing northwern part of NC and southwestern Virginia. maybe we can get together and put the Ultras through a turn or two. MARKUDA: Be looking for your pic. After Black my second choice was Gunmetal. Sorry DonB the Silver and Black just didn't appeal to me, seems the should have reversed the paint scheme.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Oldhippie, I'd love to do that ride, maybe we could hook up next time.

I forget about the color of the bike once I'm cruising down the road and jamming with the tunes....LOL

·
Banned
2,597 Posts
DonB, I hope that black spot under your bike is from some other bike and not yours:D You have a fine looking ride, tell me about them slip-ons you have on her:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Hey Mark, no that spot wasn't from my bike.....LOL

Those slip on's are the SE Performance mufflers with the billet end caps. I really like them, they sound pretty good. I got them and the stage 1 flash done when I picked it up. I'm really impressed with the way this bike runs and handles. I'm sure you are going to love your new ultra as much as I do mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I agree ... my '02 is very nimble and handles great. I can tell a big diff. from my '00 ... this one's more stable, has a much more solid feel in the twisties. Must be that bigger swingarm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ultra Classic steering lock

Just got my 2003 Ultra Classic:D

There is possibly a problem with the switch, where it won't come out of steering lock. Had to have bike recovered to dealer, who said someone tried to steal it. I'm not convinced.

Anyone else had a problem with the steering lock?

·
Registered
106 Posts
steering lock

My buddys Road Glide had a problem with the lock the dealer claimed it was tampered with. Maybe there is a problem with the locks.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The fork lock can be tricky at times, but I've never had any trouble with it.

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I've heard of some problems with them when on the kickstand. Theory was that shorter pins in the tumbler on the left side of lock had something to do with it. It's been a while but that's all I remember. If you have the problem again, try it with bike standing up straight.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Thealien said:
Try moving the handlebar while unlocking, takes the load off the lock, works on my road glide.
Yup, turn the bars to the left should do the trick!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts