V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for everyone's help ahead of time!
I am having idling problems with my 2003 sportster that has only 3,800 miles on it. I have already broken down the carb as far as you can and cleaned it. The internals of the carb are all stock at this time but I am willing to modify if that will fix the problem. The plug for the Idle Mixture Adjustment Screw has already been removed and the screw is currently at 2 3/4 turn down after seating it all the way in. I originally had the screw at 2 1/2 but then the idle was really rough. I have posted 2 videos for review. One is the bike idling after a 30 min ride from the pipes and the other is right after that but showing the problems with the choke.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
put a yost kit in it,,, follow the instructions to the letter all idling problems solved,,, take the mix screw out about 3.5 turns,, idle at 1000 rpm..

·
Registered
129 Posts
I had an idling issue with my 2003 XL1200S, cleaned the carb and it would still idle low and rough sometimes, so I turned the idle adjustment up. Then after riding a while it would high idle so I would turn the idle screw back down. I finally found the issue in the gas tank, the filter screen on the petcock had a tear in it and allowed a little crap down into the carb fuel bowl, which then would crap up the idle circuit.

I bought a new filter screen for about $8.00 (you can still buy the petcock with filter screen if you want); cleaned the inside of the fuel tank, put everything back together and have not had any issue since.

You may also want to check to make sure your choke (enrichment circuit) is staying shut off all the way, there is an adjustment collar behind the knob to tighten up the know & cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts