V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at the local dealer today.. inquiring about my Lowrider and it's arrival date..... and started talking about the '03 models and they said that possibly the Roadglide will not be made in 2003 ... Has anyone else heard the rumors ?... just trying to substantiate the rumor mill... thanks

·
old timer
516 Posts
What a loss that would be. For those who have not ridden a RG. I think it is, probably, the best HD has made. I got my 02 RG so I'll be good to go for some time.

I think we've all known that the carb'd models were going to get scarce. EFI is the new deal and the feds are going to mandate it soon. Carb's will become as scarce as they are on cars. Not a big loss, but, carb'd bikes sure run good. I think that the carb'd model out horses the EFI bike by a little. I have had my RG next to two seperate EFI models and mine has seemed to pull a little better than the EFI bikes.

manny

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Yup, the carb bikes are stronger despite the longer gears, but there is a lot of money for the dealers and to some extent for Harley (and out of your pocket) in EFI bikes, so that is what you will get.

The only way a EFI bike can hang with Manny is cornerspeed. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Although a carb'ed model may make more power "out of the box", an EFI equipped model does bring more potential to the table.

There is a finite amount of "control" with a mechanical device; you can change jets, thunderslide, etc. but you can only do so much.

An electronically controlled system has the "potential" to offer far more control including elemental variants (temperature, barometric pressure, humidity) as well as fuel make up, etc.

My '02 Ultra definately has a "different" throttle feel than prior carb'ed bikes but w/ the stage 1 kit (w/ ECM reprogramming) and some mufflers to let it breath it certainly performs to my expectations.

The government wants EFI as it's more effecient and cleaner plus you have to wonder if eventually we will have to deal with emissions standards, etc. (outside CA of course).

Bill

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
It is more of a philosophical argument then a technical one. I can get the same power or more out of an injected bike then a carbureted one while meeting emissions at routine annual test level with either one. The cost however is exponentially higher with EFI.

You can lay out an EFI system so it can be tested with universal equipment as in the world of most european and japanese motorcycles, not to speak of the automotive world, or you can lay out a system so as to make the testing equipment as expensive, specialized and hard to get and amortize as possible.

It is with this I have a problem with. The tought of being locked into the need to rely on a Harley dealer at the present level of competence and service (generally speaking as there are some exceptions as far as technicians go) is unacceptable. Once it becomes more obvious to the average rider how precisely they use the technology I'm relatively certain they will begin to feel the same way, as the simple fact that they do ride a motorcycle indicates that they do have an independent streak however minor.
Even in the case of hobby riders with deep pockets the need to wait for weeks to have a insignificant glitch corrected will take it's toll.

We have enough people around here that feel the same way, and if it takes tens of thousands of dollars to beat this, so be it, we will not only beat the system they are trying to impose but are already further developing the systems.

Let the games begin. :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well stated Hippo....
In time this too shall pass...
*The GAME has been in play for some years now.

SeattleMike >Behind the Redwood Curtain in the Sierra Foothills

·
Registered
13 Posts
Apparently you know more than I do about this.

The dealer(s) and shop(s) I've worked with have never mentioned anything being more proprietary about Harley ignition/control systems vs. anything else they work with.

If you don't like the direction they are taking thier products, then don't buy them.

You, as the consumer, have the ultimate power over them.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
If you don't like the direction they are taking thier products, then don't buy them.

That's not a option. We ride Harleys because that is what we do.

I do dislike the direction in which they are going, from a rider's point of view, and that is the approach I use when playing on the board.

From a professional point of view I would love the direction they are taking if I were somewhat younger.
We will profit handsomely from these bikes and now and then we are even starting to see modified bikes sent over by dealers at what appears to be a increasing rate.

You didn't quite get it. I just want to ride my bike.

Remember we are talking Delphi bikes and Digital Technician and serial data links here.

·
EvilMonger
8,792 Posts
EFI

Just wanted to let everyone know there is an article about EFI performance in the July issue of American Iron magazine. There is information about the power commander, Eagle Motor company, and an interesting product in development by S&S. EFI is here to stay and the aftermarket industry will always come up with performance upgrades.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts