V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it is still very early to be asking, but does anyone know what may be available for the 2003 year? After reading a post by HIPPO in the dealer experience section, I have been really pondering what might be available. It will be the anniversary year so I can not help but to wonder.

Bigtime:confused:

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
I don't think it is too early at all. My understanding is that some dealers already have full waiting lists and some haven't taken any names. i think the actual change over at the factories is late June. Personally i think the price gouging will see a whole new level for the 2003. And I suspect a lot of the bikes will stay in their crates in some investors warehouse.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In my area, its not really even thought of yet. I know there will probably be a little gouging and I would like to try to get in early and get around that. Maybe get on a waiting list or order one. The one I have is still to new to get rid of so I probably dont even need to worry about it though. But on the other hand, 100 anniversary, potentintial to be a bike to invest in. Do you think they will be popular in 2003 only, or continue to be valuable throughout their life?

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Personally I think it will be a perfect time NOT to buy a Harley. The 100 Anniversary is sales hype and if ignored a message can be sent.

Anniversary bikes are a paint job and a logo. No big deal.

·
Registered
131 Posts
JimmyK said:
Personally I think it will be a perfect time NOT to buy a Harley. The 100 Anniversary is sales hype and if ignored a message can be sent.

Anniversary bikes are a paint job and a logo. No big deal.

I agree, Jimmy, but I heard yesterday that a V-rod bagger has been spotted!

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Well that would be a WaterBagger not to be confused with WhataBurger here in Houston.

Hey! How about a "name that HOG" thread?

WaterBuffalo?
WaterBagger?
LiquiBlimp?
and the ever popular in Harley language

Y2k+3FLHRCIH2O

Bla hahahhahahahah!

·
Traveling Man
1,272 Posts
I don't see the big deal with a 2003 bike. I guess some people see them as a special value investment. I'm not sure that they will all have any special paint or designation either. Those special ones that do will not mean any more to me than a 95th ann. model does now. Anniversary models come and go. One kept in pristine condition with low mileage and completely stock configuration may be worth more to a few collectors years down the road but not to the average Joe. If I had an anniversary model or a limited edition of any kind it would only mean that I couldn't use it like I think it was meant to be used or it's $ value as a special bike would be lost. I think with the future changes due to EPA intervention, the bikes that will have an increased value down the road are the plain ole carbureted models and those that can be hot roded and changed before the restrictions come into effect for the future models. That's my guess. But the only thing I invest in is highway miles anyway so I'm no value expert. LOL

FifthGear:)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fifthgear,

I am in total agreement with you and Jimmy K. Although the rest of the world does not all think like us. There are a lot of people in the world who find out it is 100th annv. are going to go crazy trying to get one. Ninety percent of those people have never rode a Harley and sure dont know a thing about them. They also are the kind of people who would buy a Harley like we would buy supper at a nice resturant. My thoughts are order one, add a little chrome, ride it a little, sell it for a little profit to someone who just cant wait to get one. Most of the dealers will be happier selling to a previous customer who is ordering in advance so a little better price could be obtained. I love Harleys and I also love prospering from them even more. If I see an opportunity to buy, sell, trade, swap I will sure do it. I just like hearing opinions on any kind of investment long before I try it. But dont get me wrong, the reason I bought one was for one reason and that is to RIDE.
:cool:

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
And I suspect a lot of the bikes will stay in their crates in some investors warehouse.

They will certainly try, but I think they will have a rude awakening. If a significant profit can be had it will be realized by their estate. Two or three years down the road it's just another used bike.

If I were the MOCO trying to maximize profits, I would just rebadge and repaint the anniversary bikes and then unleash the real whopper in 04.
They have to know that the 03's will sell like hotcakes, and after that the market will be pretty saturated. It would be one way to move bikes as there is always the crowd that has to have the newest and latest.

Jimmy, there is your FLHTCUH2OSEI, we ran out of cast wheels for the FLHRH2OSEI.
Blahahahahahahaaaaaaa!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
I know I'll get a lot of heat for this, BUT I'm looking forward to a V-Rod bagger. Yes, I enjoy my FLHTC; however, the new engine just appeals to me. Different strokes for different folks.

Hippo, the pics were cute. I imagine though that H/D will change out more than just the engine on the V-Rod bagger.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You never know, you know.

If BuellBomb gets hold of WillieG we might come up with something like this.......

Or if the Nazi connection proves to be true we might have the new "DAKAR" version.............

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
HMC, the HippoMoCo, is very responsive to customer input, our wish is your desire ......... hmmmmmm ........ wait, that was Willies line. LOL

·
Registered
131 Posts
You guys are gettin' there! from my mind to Willie's ear, that'd be the ticket.
I want something that is EVERYTHING, at ONCE.
But, I never wanted to follow the crowd. the old stuff is great, but I don't want to side into the future, I want to JUMP.
of course, I could be wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,694 Posts
Fellow Riders,

This is my first post in a few days. If I'm missed some of the thread, I apologize. The last post on this thread that I received was from Buelbomb saying in essence that he thought the pics were indicative of a jump into the future.

I AGREE. Harley has to appeal to those new and younger riders out there. The bike designs that many of us love don't appeal to younger riders. My 30 year old (motorcycle riding) son calls the H/D an "old man's bike". Snarling and growling that only the "old" models are real Harleys won't keep H/D in businesss in the future. They gotta appeal to the new generation of riders. Smart move on Harley's part. And the air cooled engine, which is the centerpiece of the H/D line is unlikey to survive EPA requirements in another 4 to 6 years. Another smart move.

***I agree with Fifth gear--shoulda bought H/D stock!!!!!***

And dang, Hippo, I liked several of those bike pics you posted!!!!!

Who knows? Seriously, there may be several new models introduced in 2003? We'll find out soon enough.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I think you'll find that HD went the whole route when designing the V-rod.
Notice how they already have a lot of accessories for it.
To my way of thinking, they have other models on the drawing board already, if not in testing.
If the hype fades a litlle, BANG! out with a new model. Keep it hot, so to speak.

And HIPPO could be very close with some of his creations.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts