V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only one who is not wild about the color choices on the 100th Anniversary model? After a very hard decision I finally went with the Black/Silver. I'm now second quessing myself after getting to see one up close and not in a picture. This is three weeks after my order. I'm heading to York, Pa at the end of the month for the Open House and hopefully will get to see them all side by side. The dealers here, have very few bikes to even look at. I could do without that funky stripe(reminds me of a Honda from the seventies),but if you want a 100th Anniversary model you have to take it. Dealers around here expect very few second run solid color bikes(red,blue,white) and make no promises to even get one.

After twenty plus years of pounding my old 79 Shovel, it was time for an upgrade. I do however have some problems with the new style light rails too. I prefer the older style on my old beast. Don't think too much of the ones HD are putting out now. Any other manufactures out there that make some that look more like the old style to fit the 2003? Ah.. maybe I just live in the past too much but when spending these kind of coins I want something that makes me smile not just grin. Thanks for any help.

Mister Breeze

·
Road Captain
6,628 Posts
Color Choices

Mister Breeze,
Went through the same, decided on the Gun Metal Pearl and agree the stripe is not very appealing. If it had been an option I wouldn't have taken it. I understand that the Luxury Rich Red and Blue Pearl will be available in June? or August? next year but I wasn't going to wait! The Two-tne looks good (IMHO)on the RK Classic, but something about the fairing makes it look,,,well cheap on the Gildes.

I am sure you'll be happy with your decision. Happy Cruzin'

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Don't worry about it, you are extremely unlikely to see any more black and silver bikes. If you don't have the bike yet you are one of the lucky ones. They stopped production on the two tone bikes and may suspend it all together due to problems with it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Saw the letter from the MoCo last night on the two-tone issue. The York plant will reduce the number of two-tone FL's made due a paint issue. The sales guy would not go into the problem. They pushed my build date back to 9/28 from 9/6. 'In order to insure a high quality product'. I should go to the open house that weekend and ask which bike is going to be delivered to this dealership.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I'm always open to listen to another opinion.

Concerning the two tone issue, I had heard (pure spectulation no facts to back it up) that there was a problem on the Ultras if you wan't to mount a rack on the tour pack. They said the stripes were either in the way or rolled up when installing the rack. The Classic I saw did not have them on the top lid and would not be an issue, so who knows if it was true or BS. I also don't have the reason, but a girl the old lady works with said their two tone Ultra was due in this Saturday and they were called by the dealer and told don't expect till January now! I just didn't hear the excuse for the delay.

On the Gunmetal, I drove over a 150 miles to go check one out on a Dresser. It just didn't do it for me. Everybody has different tastes and I respect that. Perhaps it would have done it for me without the stripe . I don't know... if Hippo's right maybe someone else will be making my decision for me and I do feel that's a shame. We scrape and save and then have to settle for something we don't really want. Hell, I wish they would sell me one in primer then, and I'd paint it the way I wanted. I just can't see sanding down a perfectly good paint job to get something that'll make me smile. I hate it when people got ya by the bag and you have little you can do about it. Oh well enough whining from me... time will tell.
Thanks again for the replies!

Mister Breeze

·
Registered
187 Posts
I don't know if the rumors about the silver paint are true or not, I've asked all the dealers around here and I also know several of the techs and they have all said there have been no problems with any of the black and silver bikes they have sold so far????? Who knows????

I picked up my new black and silver Ultra last wednesday and after hearing all the stuff about the paint, I have gone over this bike very close and there is not one flaw in the paint anywhere that I can see. I have almost 1000 miles on it so far. I'm not going to worry about it, if the paint screws up later on, I have no doubt that Harley will take care of it.

·
Premium Member
483 Posts
I went through the same thing. None of the colors for 03 did it for me. Ended up settling for Black for my FTSTFI (due in Nov). First stop will be to a custom shop for a new paint job.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally posted by DonB

I picked up my new black and silver Ultra last wednesday and after hearing all the stuff about the paint, I have gone over this bike very close and there is not one flaw in the paint anywhere that I can see. I have almost 1000 miles on it so far. I'm not going to worry about it, if the paint screws up later on, I have no doubt that Harley will take care of it.

Yea, just like the factory got JimmyK his fork leg LOL :D
Honestly, I wish you luck with the paint. Just don't think for a minute that the factory really cares once they get your $$$.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well today I had some time so I decided to hear what my dealer would have to say on the two tone issue. This dude sells about 350 bikes a year according to what he says. He's not the biggest in my area by any means, but bigger than some others.

He says there will be no problem with my Electra Glide Classic. Mine is a Phase 3 order and actually won't even be ordered until October 12. Funny thing is I gave him the cash back in early August! He still tells me I can expect delivery between Jan.-March. We'll see if it's BS or not.
I told him the story of the couple the old lady knows(different dealer) and the push back until January. This is what I was told by my guy.I'm not saying I bought it I'm just repeating the story to maybe help some others or we all can maybe get the real reason.

My dealer says the problem is due to demand for the two tone bikes. He says (not me) that there is no problem with the paint just too many ordered.
He also said he and all dealers had to adjust their number of two tone bikes. This guy had to give up six and take either Black or Gunmetal. they found six customers who were willing to switch in the latest Phase so no more problem for him. He also told me he would get a total of TWO colored bikes(red,blue,white) after October 12. Does any of this sound legit to any other people that have an order in? Thanks!

Mister Breeze
FNG:) or NFG:(
ahh... maybe some of both!

·
Registered
266 Posts
They at least all have the same story. There is a parallel thread in the general forum on 2003 Ultra 2-tone questions.

Further update on the 2-tone issue from Customer Service in Milwaukee. CS called me back after two day wait, in reference to my Ultra order. They said, if your two-tone has not been built as yet in phase I, it won’t be built in this phase. The factory is only running parts this month in 2-tone to catch up. Next call to the dealer. They (dealer) confirmed my September delivery would now take place between October and December in the phase II builds when I asked. When asked about the second letter to change the color of bikes ordered, the dealer said they did not receive this due to low number their order.

Again a simple call to me on this change in delivery again would go a long way in building customer relations.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.