V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gentleman. Iam inquiring info for a friend of mine who has an 03 E Glide standard purchased new. What would cause a sudden loss of oil Pressure..? He has never ran it empty BTW. Bike has 30k and never been abused with frequent syn-1 oil changes via the dealer. Anyone have/had this problem and put in a new oil pump on a tc 88. What contanimation could cause a unit to fail pump assuming no foreign objects got in..? Any info would be greatly appreciated:thanks:

·
Premium Member
1,047 Posts
Pull the cam cover; the pad material from the cam chain tensioners may have broken loose and caused the loss of oil pressure. It wouldn't make any weird noises if this happened.

Also, is the gauge reading accurately? You can attach a mechanical gauge to check.

·
Registered
13,064 Posts
I would check the cam tensioners first. the broken pieces can destroy an oil pump and may not have done any more damage. This is the biggest problem with this engine, most that frag cause catastrophic damage

·
Iron Butt, SS2000
3,399 Posts
Piss poor design? (just askin) Cranks that are prone to run out, tensioners that disintegrate, exhaust lifters that fail, oil pressure relief valves that stick.

I have been through four oil pumps. Installed by two different dealers, in 37K miles.
OK, in the interest of full disclosure, An argument could be made that these failures were caused by the tech that assembled my 103 conversion from stock. That's when the trouble began.

Also know I still enjoy the sh1t out of owning both of my bikes.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Thanks!!

All good info, and thanks once again. I would bet that the cam tensioners are at fault and they did contanimate the pump. Did Harley use diff material for the cam tensioner rails in the later models like, my 06 Dyna...?

·
Registered
422 Posts
Just speculation, but when I was Service Manager at an indy shop, we saw alot of wear on tensioners from say 03 and later. Before then they seemed to last forever. My spin on it..........MOCO changed manufacturers or the spec on the tensioner material. Went with something cheaper is my guess. I am purely speculating on this. They could have done better on this design. Friday

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
HD switched design in 06 n dynas, then rest on 07. I don't know of any other changes. Mid year 2000? they changed the rear cam bearing roller bearing.

I will go gears on my 07, if the the runout is accpetable.

·
Premium Member
11,928 Posts
lesrrt said:
All good info, and thanks once again. I would bet that the cam tensioners are at fault and they did contanimate the pump. Did Harley use diff material for the cam tensioner rails in the later models like, my 06 Dyna...?
dont know if the material is different, but the design is much better and the shoe puts alot less tension on the chain.

BTW, just did an 05 fxdwg that had chunks of tensioner destroy to pump. customer had no indication of failure till one morning he started the bike and the oil light wouldnt go out. trailered to the shop and i installed mechanical gauge, 0 pressure. removed the gauge completely and it wouldnt even push any oil out the hole in the motor! the oil dripped out of the hole overnigh. but when you started the engine nothing came out! thats spooky!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts