V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I saw a post on another forum where some guy was gonna buy some $2000 'gold key" accessory package for his new Fat Boy, not because he wanted the stuff in it but he "thinks it will make it more valuable when he sells it. Look, I personally am not crazy about the 2003 paint schemes and multiple emblems but I also don't dislike them enough that I wouldn't buy one if this was the year I was looking for a new bike. But what bothers me is people thinking they are going to be great investments??????????

Collector value is driven by 3 things...condition, desireability (is there something inherently "better or upgraded" about it?) and rarity.

Unless you are willing to leave it in the crate (which more than a few will), there will always be plenty out there in better condition than yours.

Unless it's one of the CVO bikes, it won't be any more inherently desireable than a 2002, they are mechanically almost identical.

But most of all, think about this...there will be more 2003 100th Anniversary Edition bikes out there than any other single year in Harley Davidson history. HD monthly production is at an all-time high and they are going to run 14 months worth of 2003 bikes. every single model year between 1903 and 2002 is more rare than the 2003 model will be.

I am just begging people here to not get carried away and overpay for these bikes thinking they are going to be impossible to get or that they are going to be able to flip them for a huge profit....there are dealers out there still taking orders for 2003 bikes at MSRP...and a lot of dealers that aren't taking orders, it because they are going to keep them as showroom bikes hoping they can add $3000 markup. When that doesn't work they will suddenly have a few openings in their 2003 orderbooks.

·
Registered
217 Posts
You are right on the money Logical. Most all the guys and gals I know are not wild about the 03 limit of colors. I know one man that is mad because he cant find a red low rider. Dealers have told him only 3% of the 03 bikes will be red-blue-white. If I were in the market I would look for an 01 or 02 the color I wanted,,not what H D wanted me to buy.

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
logical said:
I saw a post on another forum where some guy was gonna buy some $2000 'gold key" accessory package for his new Fat Boy, not because he wanted the stuff in it but he "thinks it will make it more valuable when he sells it. ...... But what bothers me is people thinking they are going to be great investments??????????

Collector value is driven by 3 things...condition, desireability (is there something inherently "better or upgraded" about it?) and rarity.
Correct and is he going to get a ROI(Return On Investment) to equal the $2000 'gold key' accessory? I doubt most people will be willing to pay him for that 'extra' 10 years down the road.

Only color I found appealing was that Pearl White on the RK. Rest are average or bad(IMO). I ride a 2001 RK that is Teal(not Teal & White) and I don't see that many of that color. But I didn't buy it for investment. I bought it to ride. Now if it comes down to where I 'have' to sell it(heaven forbid), I'll think it was a good investment at that point because it won't lose value. I don't think the 2003 will hold the value that H-D is misleading people with all that marketing.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I agree with purchasing the damn bike for a "collectors item", but luckly I LOVE the Gunmetal Pearl colors offered for 2003 (and will live with all the extra badging, it kinda grows on after a while)...

But to purchase and put away? A bike is to be ridden! Damn fools :)

Oh, and as you mentioned, 100th year highest production ever for Harley, these bikes will be everywhere! :D

·
Registered
129 Posts
After goin' to the dealership and seeing some of the new 2003 bikes, I must say, the one thing that I really think they could have done better is the 'badge' on the gas tank. Its cheap lookin' and way to big and funky.

Now, the one way in my opinion to make one of these 2003's look good and stand out from the others, is to buy the 2003, take off the tank and fenders and purchase a 'radical paint set' for it.
HD.com has some good lookin' custom paint thats gonna be available soon.

nickp.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I agree with you all, it's all a matter of supply (which there should be plenty of ‘03s) and demand. If for some reason there was something so special about the ‘03 than the ‘02 or ‘04 for that matter, but I don't think badging is going to do it. It's like the V-Rods now they are coming down in price, still getting high $17k's to $18k on eBay but that is a lot less than the $20,000+ they were getting 3-4 months ago.

The same thing happen with the '92 Vipers they were getting $100,000 for them then the '93 came out and prices now are about the same, mid $30k to $40K used. Funny thing is you can still find a Viper with less than 10,000 miles, what a waist machines like these should be driven and enjoyed.

But I think as much as anything it's the first on the block syndrome that drives a lot of the price structure.

I hate Dealers that mark them up but I even dislike more the people who take advantage of good Dealers who sell at MSRP and then turn around and sell them at an inflated price. Those folks are real scum and they encourage Dealers to price gouge customers, at least for as long as they can.

For what it's worth,

Dave

·
Registered
695 Posts
I just saw the same 2003 bike I ordered (Dyna Wide Glide --Black) on my dealers showroon floor, it belongs to someone else. I like it -- I wasn't sure I would but I really like it. I am glad I didn't order the two tone (black & silver) because I saw a 2003 Road King with this two tone paint scheme and didn't like it. Unfortunately I didn't have the money to buy a bike until now, it just worked out that it's a 2003. I didn't get it for any collector purpose -- just wanted a Harley real bad (for a long time).

·
Registered
42 Posts
I just wanted to chime in on this. If all goes right, I'll be getting a 2003 Fatboy in the next few weeks. I'm not getting it 'cause it is an anniversary, in fact, when I first started looking, the whole anniversary thing didn't even cross my mind. I just knew I wanted a Harley and finally had the means to get it. Why not buy used? I like the idea of having a bike that never was and most likely never will be anyone elses. And I haven't found any 2002 in my area that aren't either spoken for or way over MSRP. In terms of color, I hope I'll be able to get something I really love, but in all reality, most likely over the winter I'll be taking all the painted pieces off the bike (storing them to keep the original parts) and replacing them with custom painted ones. I like the idea of having something no one else has. That said, I plan to ride the hell out of this bike. I love the open-air feeling (that's why I made sure my T/A had t-tops :) )

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Agree with everything except taking the tank and fenders off...

I acutally like the tank and fenders on the Gunmetal Pearl! Whew, only three weeks and counting... (and 5000.00 worth of Harley [email protected] to put on it, and that's with a discount!)

Damn, I hope I like eating rice and beans for dinner for a while :D

·
Just Like to Ride
3,242 Posts
Stopped by local H-D and they had a FLHRCI - Gunmetal Grey. Asked how much - $21,500 but they would have to order for me because what they had coming in so far was spoken for. Guy mentioned getting the 'Gold Key' package because it came with all these 'neat anniversary' emblems :rolleyes: that went on breather, derby, etc. Told him I was gonna ride the bike and not let is sit in the garage or display case. None of that 'Gold key' interested me at all. $21,500 for a $17,000 bike. :(

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
All 03s get redesigned mirrors and the big twins ( at least the softtails) get a 150 rear tire. I'm doing a deposit on a Gun Heritage today. MSRP is the best I can do. An investment- I don't think so.

·
Registered
695 Posts
DonB,
I put a deposit on my 03 bike in June. Your dealer has already told you the exact day you're getting your bike? Damn, I should have gone to that dealer. I've been told, "if you're lucky August, but it will probably be September, but then again it could be October". After reading what you posted it makes me feel like they're just messin' with me. Could be because I'm pretty excited, HA!
Then you said you already have a total to include taxes with a 5 year warranty. I was told that this stuuf wouldn't even be discussed until the bike comes in and I sit down with the finance guys.
What dealer did you go to?

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
I have my delivary date (August 27th) and a total price, Rockville HD was my choice...

·
Registered
695 Posts
Damn, You too JFScheck? Have you already talked and priced the warranty issue also? I'm for sure making time to stop by this dealer tomorrow. I know I'm new at this but I'm starting to get a bad feeling. Did they see sucker all over my face?
I appreciate you telling me.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Actually, there were no discussions as to the price of the bike. I was told I would pay MSRP on the bike (at the time we didn’t know what that would be in on the 2003 models, this was back in March) and I would have to purchase a mandatory 1 year warranty to go along with the Harley warranty, and any extras I would be given a 10% discount (wow, some discount).

Wasn't too happy at first (so used to bargaining with car prices and the such) but have learned since then that this wasn't too bad of a deal! :rolleyes:

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
JFScheck said:
.... I would have to purchase a mandatory 1 year warranty to go along with the Harley warranty, ....
This sounds a little funny because the optional extended warranty runsconcurrently with the factory warranty. Can you clarify?

wyo

·
Registered
544 Posts
Rockville HD told me that they charged $600 over MSRP but extended the factory warranty by a year, thereby giving you a two year warranty for the $600 more.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
VA V-Rod said:
Rockville HD told me that they charged $600 over MSRP but extended the factory warranty by a year, thereby giving you a two year warranty for the $600 more.
Maybe that is what it was.... :(

·
Infidel
6,331 Posts
Next time your down there, ask for the extended warranty price sheet (orange 5x7 piece o' paper with the price for 1-7 yrs).

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.