V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So...tell me. Has anyone who bought a '03 bike for an investment double their money yet??? :whatever: :hystria:
I own a '03 with the gold key rip off package. I wanted the EG standard to ride, but I got caught into the hype of the package while buying it. Don't get me wrong, I still love the bike, but laugh now about having that stupid brass key! :hystria: Really, what does that key signify? A few hundred dollars for 2003 Anniversay hype!!

·
Registered
935 Posts
I bought an '03 Sportster and doubled my money. Mostly cause my payments are so low, I could put much more money away into my high-yield checking account.

I heard you aren't even supposed to use the key, it was intended just for show.

Tank badges are pulled off... the stupid stripe is next :sucks:

·
I haven't seen your bird.
8,499 Posts
Originally posted by DLL66
So...tell me. Has anyone who bought a '03 bike for an investment double their money yet???
I bought mine because I thought it would be fun to ride. And it is.

·
Premium Member
4,701 Posts
MadCity said:
I bought mine because I thought it would be fun to ride. And it is.

Adaboy!:thumbsup:

·
FOG
6,970 Posts
I bought my '03 because that happened to be the year I wanted a new Harley and could afford to buy it. I'd have bought a '02 or '04 under the same circumstances.

T113

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I have never wanted an anniversary bike. Don't like emblem, and you probably should save the tank and emblams. So have to buy new. To cheap, better stuff to buy.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well,if you had bought a nice 03, especially one of the 2 tone models, parked it and waited 25 years. My guess is they will pull in some serious cash to a collector.

The annual Mid-America Auction held in Las Vegas every year had 1970 Triumphs going regularly for 12k and up. Now these are restored, better than new and are a hot collector's item. Same goes for old Pans,BSAs and even those old 3 cyclinder Kawaski 750 triples are pulling in 5-10k in price.

But the catch is, it has to be, better than new, with either low/no miles or a complete documented rebuild.

99.9% of the guys who bought 03 Harleys will not be in this category, but I will bet a 2 tone 03 Duece, RoadKing, Fatboy, Heritage Springer, that has been saved for some kid's college fund , in stock condition, no aftermarket parts WILL pull down some serious cash.

Laugh if you will, but a 1977 50th anniversary crated Triumphs (the Jubillee units) are bringing in 10-15k.So while most of you will never do this or want to do it. I for one (collect old bikes) have a 2 tone 03 Duece, boughten for just an investment, and I am fairly certain it will fetch a mighty buck in 20 years.(Plus it will be a neat bike to show in the meantime over the years)

Already most 03s I have seen have been severly altered and will disappear in the next 5 years altogether. ( How many Evos are still in the parking lot???)

What will they be worth? Who really knows, but lots of things happen in a life of a company. But owning a milestone edition is most surely a desirable bike to have, if you can afford it and have the collector mentality (nuts, what's junk to some is Gold to others) I believe the 100th anniversary bikes are a good investment long term as an investment, NOT A RIDER!!!.

P.S. A stock 1966 Sportster sold at the auction 4 years ago for 16k, yeah a Sportster 16K:D

·
Premium Member
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
highrider said:
I believe the 100th anniversary bikes are a good investment long term as an investment, NOT A RIDER!!!.

D
A Buell Blast that has been bought new and hasn't been ridden in 25 years would also turn a profit.

·
Huge Member
1,286 Posts
The same money prudently invested in mutual funds or a Roth IRA would probably have a better rate of return. It's not as fun to look at in the garage, but then just looking and not riding isn't much fun either. To each his own.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Only reason to buy the 2003 FXST was the gorgeous gunmetal blue color available only for the anniversary models. And that was before I got to know about the straight roller bearing on the left side...........
And not knowing about the ridiculous replacement policy for tins and other odds and ends stuff specific to a 2003 model.
Never again a whatever special edition for me.............

Making money with a 2003? Yep, the MoCo's still doing it.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
fourstar said:
The same money prudently invested in mutual funds or a Roth IRA would probably have a better rate of return. It's not as fun to look at in the garage, but then just looking and not riding isn't much fun either. To each his own.
20,000.00 as a base figure invested in good growth stock mutual funds 25 years with an average rate of return at 12% would make that money worth 340,000.00.

I will stick to my mutual funds as well for my investments. Some people say, "You can't get 12% returns every year.". My reply to that is you are correct, I have got that and more every year that I have been involved with mutual funds. I monitor my invests regularly unlike most who put in one fund and leave there forever and wonder why they make no money. If you keep your eye on funds that have a proven track record you can make a alot of money with your investments.

·
Premium Member
3,289 Posts
Fatb0y said:
20,000.00 as a base figure invested in good growth stock mutual funds 25 years with an average rate of return at 12% would make that money worth 340,000.00.

I will stick to my mutual funds as well for my investments. Some people say, "You can't get 12% returns every year.". My reply to that is you are correct, I have got that and more every year that I have been involved with mutual funds. I monitor my invests regularly unlike most who put in one fund and leave there forever and wonder why they make no money. If you keep your eye on funds that have a proven track record you can make a alot of money with your investments.

Can I hire you and you grant 10% and whatever you make beyond that is yours? :coffee:

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
I have a black 03 Fatboy and I know one of the next items I want to change once my motor is built is the color. I will keep the tins, but who knows if I will be able to sell those for any money.
I am so glad I dont like two tone colors like silver and black. :thumbsdn: There are hunderds of those things running around.

·
Incredible
3,029 Posts
ViennaHog said:
Can I hire you and you grant 10% and whatever you make beyond that is yours? :coffee:
If I can make my own money you can to. Do your own research, make your own investments, and away you go. Contra funds yeilded 16% for the year of 2005 and that is only one example of one fund that yeilded in excess of 12%.

·
DHARMA Initiative
5,678 Posts
DLL66 said:
So...tell me. Has anyone who bought a '03 bike for an investment double their money yet??? :whatever: :hystria:

Yea, My wife sold here 883 Hugger for $40K.

:duh?: Oh sh!t, I was dreaming. Nevermind.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts