V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ordered a 2003 silver & Black 1200 Custom. This will be my first ever HD and I hope not my last.

couple of questions:

What is the story with sportsters leaking oil ?
Are they notorious oil leakers and if so what modifciations can I do to stop or prevent it. Does it happen on new bikes?

Also what is the cost of having the modifications done to the exhaust ? (Screaming Eagle slips -ons. air cleaner rejetted carb etc....)

·
Registered
14,069 Posts
Adding the Screaming Eagle breather, slip-ons and a carb re-jet will add a noticeable horsepower increase. It also will make it sound much better than the stock exhaust. Sort of loud but you won't get harrassed by the cops. You may want to look into the Cycle Shack slip-ons. I have the SE and I really wished they were louder. I hear the Cycle Shacks have a deeper sound and cost about half the price.

I have an 2002 883C and my bike doesn't leak oil except for a little through the air cleaner. You can probably expect that to happen if you add the SE air cleaner and slip-ons. When I first had it done it leaked a lot through the air cleaner but as my bike has gotten more broken in I believe it has stopped entirely. I only have 1500 miles on mine though so I can't really speak from experience.

Some people never have problems with the oil in the breather!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Sportster's are 'famous' for rocker box leaks. The motor company has supposedly fixed this problem with better gaskets. Fixed problem or not, I always warm mine up for at least 2 minutes at the start of the riding day. Warming it up first keeps the rocker gaskets from leaking. As far as leaking oil into the air cleaner, some do, some don't. It's a crapshoot if your's will or not. For the MOST info on the web on sportsters, go to www.sportster.org

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have no oil leaks on my 00' 1200C. She sports the V&H straightshots, dynojet kit, SE air cleaner and I run Mobil 1 V-twin synthetic. At 7K miles and with a lot of "blip throttle stab downshifting" I have absolutely no leaks from cleaner or anywhere else. I did have a leak from the transmission case vent until I rerouted my line. No baffle in line needed. Enjoy.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've had every leak imaginable. I have a 2000 XL 1200C with 18+ K miles on it. Transmission vent leaked. I fixed that. Rocker boxes leaked around 15k, I fixed that, then they started leaking again in a different place around 16k. I screwed up the fix and had to replace the gaskets one more time again a few miles later (I had left a gasket out). And oil pretty much pours out of my air cleaner. I have a SE air cleaner (V&H Straightshot pipes). Have replaced umbrella valves and drilled out the oil return holes in the middle layer of the rocker box. Still pours out... have ruined 2 pairs of jeans now. Just ordered a breather kit, hopefully will get that on there in a couple weeks. Welcome to the Harley family. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts