V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi and thanks in advance for helping the new guy. I have a deposit to purchase a 2003 Heritage Softail classic two tone balck/silver for msrp 18550. Today i was presented the option to buy a 2002 Springer softail red black brand new zero miles for 16500. My dilemma, i like both bikes and lean torwards the Heritage but saving two grand is nice. Any input as to which is the better value in the long run, reasle value etc, and as to the differences between the two from a practical standpoint.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'd go for the springer. Been reading a lot lately about paint peeling on the new two-tone models. Besides the 2G's in savings, I personally like the looks of the springer myself.

But you're the one who has to be happy with it. If they were both the exact same price and sitting side-by-side on the floor, which one would you pick? There's your answer.

JohnC - Topeka, KS

·
Registered
312 Posts
2g's buys lots of shiney

·
Registered
6,413 Posts
I rode a 1988 springer softail for 91K miles all over the US and Canada. Fine bike and had no bitches about it. However, the back seat passenger (my wife) wasn't crazy about it for long trips. Heritage has a much better passenger seat. The Heritage seat will also fit on the springer. Just something to consider. For 2 grand less, I'd go the springer.

·
Registered
22,089 Posts
The actual difference in MSRP is about 2000 grand, so there isn't any inherent savings. Personally I think you get a bit more bike for your money with the heritage, however speaking from experience, there is no subsituition for "HERE AND NOW."

Seanu, you live where the weather can get a little nasty in a few months like I do, something to be said for riding it now before the snow falls.

OTH, common sense will tell you that a 1 year newer bike will always be worth more than a 1 year older one. You should be buying the bike for yourself though, not for what it will be worth to someone else. (or what the OL can get for it after the divorce)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Buy What You Really Want...

5K miles from now you won't remember what it cost...(probably? LOL)

·
Registered
695 Posts
I say go with the 2002 Springer softail. Red & black, brand new, with zero miles -- for 16500? Oh Yeah!! That color scheme with 2003 of black and silver isn't me but I've heard others say they like it.
I sure wish I could get offered a deal like that -- my stealer told me (when I ordered in June) there weren't any more 2002's -- Yeah I know, dumb, dumb --dumb
Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Buy what you really want. If you are leaning toward the Heritage then you might be "settling" for the Springer. In the long run you probably will be asking yourself why you just didn't chill and wait for what you really wanted. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt. I settled and I kicked myself in the a$$ for not chillin. This time I waited for what I really wanted and the exact color. Good luck.
Brian

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
The springer won't be that much (if any) savings if you immediately buy a $400 windshield, a $300 sissy bar set-up, $800 HD saddlebags and a $300 seat that your wife likes....all standard on the heritage. ($1800 if you go with all HD stuff and install yourself) If you will use all those things it's an easy decision.

As far as resale...used bikes in general are not likely to hold value they way they have the last 10 years because supply is way up but in my opinion, the heritage has a wider appeal than the springer and would be easier to sell.

I assume they are both carb or both EFI for comparison?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the input, yes they are both efi. I have decided to stay with my Heritage, it will be here the first week in oct. If any one is interested in the Springer let me know. It is in Columbus OH and its ready to go.

Logical, your post was spot on and very helpful. I just hope you are off on resale values declining, but I think you are probably right!

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I bet that the dealer has a Sportster that you could take away right now too and save about 10K! The fact is that at one point you chose the Heritage cause that's what you liked. Any way you look at it this is a big purchase -whether it is a Sportster or a Full Dresser. Buy and get what you want. Settle for nothing less. There's something to be said for the feeling of anticipation while you're waiting. It will make you feel oh so much better when you actually take delivery. My vote says go with what you like the best, even if you have to wait for it. That will likely place you in the majority with your Harley riding peers. As for resale, you'll forget about that and the cost once you're riding. Get what you want and never look back.

·
Free Idears Available
2,270 Posts
seanu said:

Logical, your post was spot on and very helpful. I just hope you are off on resale values declining, but I think you are probably right!
Harley resale values have been abnormally high due to a supply vs. demand imbalance the last few years. People paid near new prices for used bikes because they couldn't find or had to wait for a new bike in their area or local dealers were jacking up prices. Once the supply is back up (which it will be after if not before all the 100 year hype dies down), you will be able to walk into any dealer and pick any model off the floor at a fair price. This is already true in many parts of the country. Once it happens, the appeal of used bikes will go down.

But don't let that deter you...you aren't buying it as an investment are you? Worst case is it still won't lose value as fast as a yamaha.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
Heritage is the way to go, go, go, go!!!

·
<{{{><
170 Posts
After driving a Wideglide for the last 4 years, I am ready for a windshield and some bags for the long haul days. The FLSTCI will be ready next week end. It's going to be a long 7 days.

JFP What kinda price are you paying for yours? I am out the door at $21030.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts