V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
98 Posts
i had a moment of weakness a few weeks ago and needed to sell one of my bikes. i was upside down on what i owed on my deuce, so reluctantly i put my rod in traderonline and a local publication. now, granted my bike has more miles than many(14,000). i have 2k worth of extras and it looks and rides new. so in a panic, i listed it for 15 thousand bucks. i was really blown away, when i got only 2 calls on it and they were only tire kickers. no one even made me a serious offer.
i hate to think that these bikes are not holding their value. i went thru the same deal with my buell. please dont tell me these bikes are going to be another buell. i like the bike very much, which is good, because it looks like i will own it for a long time.

· Registered
98 Posts
i paid 18900$ for mine, then put 2k worth of extras on it. i got mine last november and it was the first one on the street in the area. that was a super price at the time. everyone else was getting 25 to 28k for them. i was offered 5k to let another bloke have mine, but i wanted it real bad. well, i hate to whine, but i should have taken it. its a super bike and has never given me one moments problem, but it looks like it isnt holding its value as well as other harleys. im still snake bit over my x-1 buell i had. i kept it 8 months and couldnt give it away. i will probably end up keeping the rod and customizing it. i cant do too much though, because i have a 4 year warranty on it. tilleys told me that they are not taking used harleys on trade, due to the economy being so bad. this probably has something to do with the v-rods value.

· Registered
98 Posts
im sure he wont have any problem getting 38k bucks for his, when i couldnt get 15k for mine with the same equipment. i like the part where he said that they are retailing for 30k, but you cant find one. might have been true a year ago this time!

· Registered
98 Posts
i talked to greenville harley today and the salesman was pretty candid with me.. he said that in the beginning the dealers got 1 per month. then each dealer got 4to5. they dont know what to do with the flood of v-rods, so the bottom has fallen out of the market. he blamed to problem on the company. he told me that he didnt know what to offer me with my high miles, but he noted it would be substantialy less than the 15500 going price for the new ones. the only good news is that i only paid 18900 fro mine last year. if i had paid 28k like some people, i would really be crying the blues. if i quit riding it, i will have it paid down to street value in 2 years!!

· Registered
98 Posts
i agree with the selling for profit idea! i dont really even want to sell it. but with 2 new bikes sitting in the garage, the payments are killing me, not to mention the insurance.
i have never made any money selling a motorcycle and i never will. im just kind of awed by how fast the bottom fell out of the v-rod market. i would love to keep the bike and it looks like i will!
i just hope that all this is not a sign that the v-rod is going to flop

· Registered
98 Posts
no, im talking like in buell! i had an x-1 buell. the buell was a neat bike and never gave me a moments problem. they werent accepted by the motorcycle community however. i didnt do my homework before i bought it and made a lot of assumptions. i assumed since i bought it at the harley shop that it would hold its value to a reasonable degree. NOT! i couldnt give it away, even with a thousand dollar custom paint job. even the buell dealers like tilleys, where i bought it wouldnt take it in trade. i finally had to go all the way to orlando harley to find someone that would even trade for the thing. they raped me on the trade. i lost a neat 5 grand right off the top in 8 months. now, i know that talk like this brings out the defensive nature in some v-rod owners. i heard the same thing when i was trying to sell the buell last summer. people said they didnt buy it to make money! they bought it to ride. well, the fact that i have over 14k miles shows that i did just that. well, i never dreamed of making money or even breaking even on anything with tires on it. but i really didnt plan on losing more than 6k per year either! there is an article this month in one of the magazines on how the company was the golden child in forbes mag. now since harley is flooding the market, some economist have negative reviews. this is just discussion! by the way, tilleys informed me that they are not taking anything in trade now, because the market is so bad! they dont want my deuce either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.