V-Twin Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a Road King but ran across a used ultra classic through the buddy system.

I'm looking for some opinions on this year of bike or anything particular to look for on the bike. Any information you think would be helpful would be welcomed.

It is fuel injected.

Thanks

·
Addicted to American Iron
460 Posts
I have a 2002 EFI Ultra Pearl White that I enjoy riding much more than my 2003 carb's fatboy. hard to say what things I do not like about it....it has a cassette tape radio system but I have a 12 disc cd changer in the tour pack. I put XM radio on it and upgraded the speakers. I have a GPS also mounted. The 2002 was the first year for the Delphi ignition system and thats a good thing. I just did a GMR 98 kit with head work and cams so it runs good, custom PCIII map after break in and it should run great. I think the 2002 Ultra are a good buy if like anything the price is right. I know it was for me as I got a great deal on mine.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have a black 02 Ultra and a red/black 00 Road King and I spend more time on the Ultra. With the Ultra you can strip it down or load it up. An Ultra with the tourpak off looks great and rides like a different bike. My tourpak stays off 90% of the time.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have an 02 Ultra Classic with 40K on it. I love it. The only problem I have had with mine it the cam tensioners. When they went I changed it out to geared cams and did a 95" at the same time. Did all the work myself. Bike runs great and is fun to ride.

Brandon

·
Registered
250 Posts
You did not mention condition, mileage, price, etc. of the '02 ultra so it makes it tough to give meaningful input but..........

I bought a '06 Ultra last fall and it is a good bike --- but, if I had known last fall what I have learned from this board in the past six months, I would have tracked down a '02 Ultra and planned on keeping it until I'm too old to chew my own food. Best I can tell, the '02s are the best twin cam baggers that HD made.

By the way, prior to the '06 ultra, I've been riding a '00 FLHT. I got the Ultra just because I always wanted one - but kept the '00 "just in case." Now I hate to ride the FLHT --- because I like it better than the '06 Ultra. It runs much stronger and smoother -- and a lot less of the EPA stuff, etc. etc.

JMHO

But then again, WTF do I know, I was worried about my FXR having a 'new' belt instead of a 'reliable' chain --- and an electric starter with no kick-start backup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts