V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard that the 2002 RoadKing front of the frame and around the weep holes rusting? Also heard that Harley was replacing a lot of the frames

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
G y'all in Tenn ? Should not happen.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
There have been some posts and pretty dramatic pictures on the web, but I have not seen one. Then again I'm in AZ. Thing is you really don't know the history of the bikes in question, for all I know they could have been in an accident and developed stress cracks that were missed at the time.

·
: Þ
341 Posts
I have a little info on the frame rust issue. On another forum for road king riders (not nearly as good as this forum) a guy has a 2002 road king with rust developing around the weep hole (their name for it) located just under the neck of the frame. A lot of other people have responded saying they have rust on their frames also. Dunno if this guy lives near the ocean or near where they salt roads but he has posted a few pics. ( i'll attached them here)

He claims that the MoCo. is taking care of the situation and replacing his frame for him. Dunno if this is BS or what.

I inspected my frame and I dont have it, so I am treating this as just a "heads up" you can read the posts and decide for yourself.

***I hate to post a link to another HD forum but you wanted more info, and definately,THIS forum is head and shoulders above any other. With that in mind here ya go. (you probably have to sign in to this forum also)

http://forums.delphiforums.com/Live2Ride/start
or the thread at:
http://forums.delphiforums.com/Live2Ride/messages/?msg=3003.103

Heres a few of the pics they posted.

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
Mine does this too

But then again look at the climate and the cleanliness?

Although so far its only cosmetic, ie. paint.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Last time I had my bike on the lift I noticed what looked like rust on the black painted bracket under the left floor board. I figured it must have come from a stone chip. I was going to get some black frame touch up paint and check the whole thing out this weekend. That must be some poor metal they are using, or maybe some flaw in the manufacturing process, (like they were rushed and let stuff go).

·
: Þ
341 Posts
Harleyhog is right, as I stated in an earlier post we dont know if the guy lives near the ocean or somewhere where they salt the roads. For all we know he may not even maintain his ride and he let it go till the rust took over. At any rate, just use this as a heads up and do your regular services, maintainence and pretrips and you should be ok.

Just dont let any rust get to this point.....or your really in trouble!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts