V-Twin Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 Road King firing issues

I have an issue with my bike that I would like to figure out and thought I'd ask about here in the forum rather than spend a bucket load at the dealership.
Starting the bike cold it runs perfectly but as it warms up the rear cylinder will stop firing. When I ride it at any speed it works flawlessly but when it idles the rear cylinder will cut out again. I've put a few thousand miles on it this way and no failures. I've been told that the bike has a "police mode" programmed into it, ( it's not a cop bike) and it has to be reprogrammed at the dealer.
Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
Is it FI or carbed? This is very important. Wouldn't need to ask if people would learn the alphabet.

I didn't think a 02 had a limp mode, but I really don't know, it may.

How do you know the rear cylinder is not firing?

Given the age, if nothing else I would change the MAP and CPK, about $USD45 each, and plug wires, about $15.

If it is doing this, I personally would not ride, you are asking for a pain in the ass sooner or later.

Has the jetting or FI map been modified? How do plugs look? Rear isn't a good indication if it cutting out, just curious.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Hi, it could be a heat related fuel injector problem. besides that I remember that some riders had some injector problems induced by injector cable failures caused by rubbing or breaking. Try the search function to find this thread.

Armin.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is FI. I know it's the rear cylinder because it has true duals. I can here the right side firing at the end of the slip on, but on the left side it's just puffing
To my knowledge, nothing has been modified, (bought the bike used 4 yrs ago with only 7000 miles on the clock), and the plugs are burning the same light color. If it was a 2 stroke I'd be alarmed but the dealer told me these motors run lean.
Is it possible the previous owner programmed the parade mode into it? Just curious. I will replace the parts you suggested and see how that works. Thanks

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
If you can access the injectors without lifting the gas tank I'd swap the injectors and if the malfunction jumps to the front cylinder you caught the bad injector, if your rear cylinder is still bad you might have a broken cable to the injector or your ECM programming for the rear cylinder is wrong. Good luck!!!

Armin.

·
Premium Member
455 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I installed new plugs after about a 1000 miles and the condition didn't change. I should mention, the engine isn't any where near operating temperature when it cuts out so I'm inclined to think that it doesn't need to be hot to occur. Almost as if it were on a timer. I'll mention again this is only an idle issue. The smallest bit of throttle makes the cylinder come to life. Go figure

·
Banned
21,644 Posts
I will replace the parts you suggested and see how that works. Thanks
I just meant, it doesn't hurt to change them. I don't think that is what you got. On a carbed bike those are the only two sensors you got. So when I had some starting issues, I just changed them.

With FI there are more items to check.

As said it could be the cable to the TPS, I had that happen on my 07. It would ping and buck once in awhile. The cable was rubbing on a fin.

Need to find out if 02 has a parade setting, and how hot you really have to get for it to kick in.

I would change plug wires. Then start looking at the other cables.

No codes are popping, check engine light?

·
AXTELLERATOR
441 Posts
I installed new plugs after about a 1000 miles and the condition didn't change. I should mention, the engine isn't any where near operating temperature when it cuts out so I'm inclined to think that it doesn't need to be hot to occur. Almost as if it were on a timer. I'll mention again this is only an idle issue. The smallest bit of throttle makes the cylinder come to life. Go figure

When you idle the engine is shaking more and there was a recall for the 2002 dresser FI wiring harness being to tight. Rev the engine slightly, to stop the skip, then take a long screwdriver and poke the wiring harness from both fuel injectors back. If the engine changes, you've solved your problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks relxn88. I think you hit the nail on the head. Thanks for all the input I've received. A huge help. Shiny side up ;->

1 - 11 of 11 Posts